There was a coo

30 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Good article here on last night’s game by groundhopscot on Twitter/X

When you see the list of players in this article at St Cadoc’s disposal it puts the result (and probably the status of the whole non-league pyramid) into perspective.

A very good article which just shows the madness of Scottish Football. Someone and no one seems to know who ! takes a youth Clubs senior side and bankrolls them with an eye watering budget.

Heard someone say last night that the centre forward Diver is on £600 pw ! No SPFL lower league side would pay that sort of money.

Why ?

59 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Guess the former Cowden youth player of about 20 years ago who was just having lunch in the same Costa as us? 😀

Clue; still playing to this day, for a team a tier below Cowdenbeath. 

Ooh it will be someone I know new all the guys back them.

20 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Jackie Myles? 

Correct 😀

Can you remember if he was considered a good prospect at Cowden? just a case of he didn’t quite make the grade or did he have injuries?

He started and captained the game for Musselburgh Athletic today at 39, though don’t think he’s a regular starter, which is maybe not surprising.

Woodwork/metalwork teacher (or CDT as they call it these days) at my daughter’s high school, coaches the under 20’s I think as well, so is a busy man.

2 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Correct 😀

Can you remember if he was considered a good prospect at Cowden? just a case of he didn’t quite make the grade or did he have injuries?

He started and captained the game for Musselburgh Athletic today at 39, though don’t think he’s a regular starter, which is maybe not surprising.

Woodwork/metalwork teacher (or CDT as they call it these days) at my daughter’s high school, coaches the under 20’s I think as well, so is a busy man.

He was captain of the under 19s and made a few 1st team apps. He was in the same squad as Darren McGregor and Liam Buchanan really good team. 

I thought about him earlier but didn't know he still played for Mussy so didn't say at the time.

16 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

He was captain of the under 19s and made a few 1st team apps. He was in the same squad as Darren McGregor and Liam Buchanan really good team. 

I thought about him earlier but didn't know he still played for Mussy so didn't say at the time.

Part of a team with a good pedigree. 😀

Yeah, I think he was out long term with injury, maybe six months or more, and came back earlier in 2024, clearly didn’t want to call it a day yet. 

8 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

Diver was on loan from Celtic to Edinburgh City and was one of our worst ever loan signings. He missed the penalty in the Challenge Cup Semi Final against Clugger's Quay Gonads and generally couldn't hit a coo's backside with a banjo

We have a wry smile when we see him banging goals away in the West of Scotland League... 

4 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Correct 😀

It's interesting that Myles Junior is still playing at 39 as his old man (taken from us too soon) was still playing at 45. In fact there must be something in the water at Central Park as Neil Irvine was similarly still playing at that age!

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's interesting that Myles Junior is still playing at 39 as his old man (taken from us too soon) was still playing at 45. In fact there must be something in the water at Central Park as Neil Irvine was similarly still playing at that age!

Jackie, for me, was/is the best player Musselburgh have had in the past 20 years. Lots will disagree, given Mathu King’s (a close 2nd) appearances/phenomenal goal scoring exploits.

Likre his dad, Jackie was a no nonsense player, receiving many a booking, but I bet most opponents wished he was in their team than in opposition. Around the time Musselburgh last played in the Scottish Junior Cup Final, he was untouchable as a player in the East Region Conference. Got a transfer to Linlithgow shortly after, then got a cruel injury which must have kept him out for 18 months or so. Returned to Burgh and though not as influential as before, I think the current manager is quite short-sighted in playing Jackie so infrequently. If the club thinks a player (like Jackie) is good enough to keep on signing him, then play the guy and players will learn a lot more with such talent on the field. 

An outstanding player of his time. 

Edited by Casey Jones

7 minutes ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Just embarrassing. EK are obviously a superior side but the current scoreline is demoralising.

Where do we go from here?

Clearly a bad day, but doesn’t really alter anything in my mind, expected a horsing in the current circumstances.

Just had a look at their results and before tonight they had already won 5 matches by a margin of 5 or more. I expect by the end of the season they will be well into double figures with such a margin.

At least we are done with East Kilbride for the season.

Losing 8 goals to a team in the Lowland League is something I never envisioned. However we are here and it’s reality. I don’t want to get too down but I’m not sure the future can get much better considering our circumstances. I will still buy my my season ticket as long as we are offering them but it’s very depressing. 

Edited by onecowden

hmm.. 
of the teams that have come up: 
Bonnyrigg Rose - good history in the Juniors, lots of fans. 
Kelty- better not praise them too much on a Cowden forum but they had a decent enough history and quite a few fans
Edinburgh City - we have a history. Just not a very good one. 
Cove Rangers - they have a Highland League history of sorts
Spartans- ach, perhaps the Clyde fan has a point....! 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

hmm.. 
of the teams that have come up: 
Bonnyrigg Rose - good history in the Juniors, lots of fans. 
Kelty- better not praise them too much on a Cowden forum but they had a decent enough history and quite a few fans
Edinburgh City - we have a history. Just not a very good one. 
Cove Rangers - they have a Highland League history of sorts
Spartans- ach, perhaps the Clyde fan has a point....! 

Bonnyrigg as you say good junior history and got where they are without the aid of a sugar daddy.

Kelty not too bothered about them really as you say decent enough junior history but Haws probably had a better one before the money man came along. Probably spent a lot to get there but I imagine they are spending less now but doing well in L1.

City you got out of the Lowland League at the right time when you didn't need a fortune to do so.

Cove decent enough HL history and probably better than City's in the EOS and LL overall. Were always going to get into the SPFL someday just stopped by their ground in the old days of voting clubs in.

Spartans Once they got Ainslie Park I always thought they would get into the SPFL sometime.

Edited by cowdenbeath