The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

26 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Anyone know where Eze has gone? No longer appears in squad photos. Neither does Liam Brown but I think we know his whereabouts. Would be nice to have been informed.

Heard he’ll be released from his contract 

Probably best for all parties. Liability all season. A shame as he seemed a really nice guy and gave us a couple cracking moments against thistle and Inverness with his headers

Edited by qpfc

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

Heard he’ll be released from his contract 

Probably best for all parties. Liability all season. A shame as he seemed a really nice guy and gave us a couple cracking moments against thistle and Inverness with his headers

Sad.  One of those ones that you hope beyond hope will make it and be successful, but for whatever reason, just didn't work out.  If true, then wish him all the best wherever he ends up.

9 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Any word on Big Mal?

I kind of hope Dundee will use our Palace connection to get him in (go Dee-Eagles woo!). 

I don't think there's any chance he's coming back here, especially given we've just signed a holding midfielder. Believe he's now out of contract, but I'd heard Palace were keen on getting him signed up again.

Honestly don't imagine he'd have stayed even if we'd gone up but if Dundee did manage to sign him I think he'd do very well. I'm sure he'll have plenty of offers from down south though.

Edited by Zanetti

5 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I don't think there's any chance he's coming back here, especially given we've just signed a holding midfielder. Believe he's now out of contract, but I'd heard Palace were keen on getting him signed up again,

They've 100% offered him a new deal.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They've 100% offered him a new deal.

Likely to get loaned out again. Opinion on the Palace forum is that it won’t be to an English Championship team so it could be EFL L1 or SPFL Premier. Could see him getting a regular game for several teams (including Dundee, said through gritted teeth).

Lesser will make a fine ground for everything other than the first team in its current form. I’ve shifted my assumptions and now guessing the only goal has been, and will continue to be, getting us back into Hampden long term with this coming year being the start of it. 
How that might translate into a favourable agreement for us I’m not sure, but at least with Lesser we have an asset to bargain with. 

Plenty to be frustrated about but on the positives, liked what I heard from Veldman. Coyle always talked the talk in interviews about youth development etc but Veldman does seem like he’s on exactly the same page as Beuker which can only be a good thing. 

12 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

I recently attended a Bundesliga game at RB Leipzig. And while I appreciate there’s a different football culture in Germany and Scotland, but what struck me was that the club wanted to maximise the match day experience as being IN the ground. A variety of food options, at reasonable prices (and naturally beer). Fish & Chips, Currywurst, Kebabs, Pies, Wraps, Loaded Fries and Desserts all sold at a price you’d happily pay in a McDonalds- and people used it with the stadium being 80% full an hour before kick-off!

Of course this is all relative and has to be applied to a club of QP’s size, but you don’t need to look further than Ayr United, who’s catering options include Pizza’s, Wraps and Nachos. Even Kilwinning Rangers will sell you a toastie and chilli! A Scotch Pie and Bovril will always be a staple and that’s fine, but maximise revenue- you’ll no do that by charging a leg for what I can get out of Greggs for £1.80.

Especially when Greggs is genuinely about 100 yards away from the kiosk.

I'd like to pick your brains for something that's been on my mind since the last season. 

I thought the main driving force behind the decision to become a professional club and start offering our players professional contracts and wages was to stop bigger clubs from poaching the young talent we develop through the ranks for nothing. The secondary aim being using the money we receive from player sales in restructuring the club and building strong ties with the community. If I'm not mistaken in all of the above, the fact that we haven't sold a single young player in the last three years is a little worrying. Mind you, I'm quite happy to see the team competing in the Championship and keep signing quality players but how does that fit into "the plan"? For example, the signing of Hepburn as a loanee from Bayern is definitely good for the first team's prospects this season but he's not a player we can "sell on". If I don't see the club making money off at least two player sales at the end of 23/24 season, then I'm seriously doubting "the plan". 

6 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Anyone know where Eze has gone? No longer appears in squad photos. Neither does Liam Brown but I think we know his whereabouts. Would be nice to have been informed.

I spoke to someone yesterday who said he's recently moved out his flat and is back in Nigeria.

Doesn't look like we'll be seeing him again.

It's a shame it didn't work out, as this time last year we were all getting quite excited about his rumoured signing, and he seemed like a really likeable guy on the couple of occasions I spoke to him.

Hopefully he finds a club where he can be the cult hero he almost became here.

23 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Popped outside for a scran and checked the pies at Greggs just before the awards ceremony yesterday. They looked disgusting. 

I forked out for one in the ground at half time. I wasn't impressed.

Best Chippy or Arturo's Deli from now on?

6 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

I forked out for one in the ground at half time. I wasn't impressed.

Best Chippy or Arturo's Deli from now on?

I had a Clyde burger for £7 from the chippy next to Greggs. Wasn't impressed either. Will try the corner deli next time. 

Edited by EaglesandSpiders

38 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I'd like to pick your brains for something that's been on my mind since the last season. 

I thought the main driving force behind the decision to become a professional club and start offering our players professional contracts and wages was to stop bigger clubs from poaching the young talent we develop through the ranks for nothing. The secondary aim being using the money we receive from player sales in restructuring the club and building strong ties with the community. If I'm not mistaken in all of the above, the fact that we haven't sold a single young player in the last three years is a little worrying. Mind you, I'm quite happy to see the team competing in the Championship and keep signing quality players but how does that fit into "the plan"? For example, the signing of Hepburn as a loanee from Bayern is definitely good for the first team's prospects this season but he's not a player we can "sell on". If I don't see the club making money off at least two player sales at the end of 23/24 season, then I'm seriously doubting "the plan". 

Yes, you are correct.

I suppose it takes a while to develop players into saleable assets, but I fully expect it will happen in the coming years. That's why we seem to be only signing players in there early 20's, so we can get a few years out if them and sell them on when they're in their prime (and most valuable).

There was apparently some interest in Savoury towards the end of last season, so it would have been interesting to have seen whether we'd have received some offers over the summer if he hadn't been injured in the playoffs.

In fairness we did receive a fee for Murray (first player we ever RECEIVED a transfer fee for), though he doesn't quite fit the youth development model (perhaps that's why we cashed in when we did?).

Liam Brown (first player we ever PAID a transfer fee for) has slso moved to EK while under contract. EK have announced it, but we haven't yet. I have no idea if a fee was involved.

Edited by Ben Reilly

1 hour ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

The idea of selling young talents on a regular or even semi regular basis probably won’t come to fruition for a few more years. Beuker signed a very long term deal with the club (10 years I think?) which suggests to me that under the guidance of all the other Dutch coaches within the academy and first team, it might take 4-5 years before we see any sign that his methods of player development is working. 

I feel like this is the first season where beuker has really got a grip of the club on his vision and can now finally implement his philosophy. We’ve struggled in the full time era to find a manager that shares the vision or has the patience to follow beuker’s ideas but thankfully now it seems like veldman is the guy to do so and I’m incredibly excited

I was disappointed when Coyle left but reading between the lines, his constant message in post match interviews of “it’s not about the here and now, it’s building for the future” was nonsense and completely contrasting to how he really wanted things to work in terms of recruitment etc

Edited by qpfc

8 minutes ago, qpfc said:

The idea of selling young talents on a regular or even semi regular basis probably won’t come to fruition for a few more years. Beuker signed a very long term deal with the club (10 years I think?) which suggests to me that under the guidance of all the other Dutch coaches within the academy and first team, it might take 4-5 years before we see any sign that his methods of player development is working. 

I feel like this is the first season where beuker has really got a grip of the club on his vision and can now finally implement his philosophy. We’ve struggled in the full time era to find a manager that shares the vision or has the patience to follow beuker’s ideas but thankfully now it seems like veldman is the guy to do so and I’m incredibly excited

I was disappointed when Coyle left but reading between the lines, his constant message in post match interviews of “it’s not about the here and now, it’s building for the future” was nonsense and completely contrasting to how he really wanted things to work in terms of recruitment etc

So you don't think it was MB who hired OC last season? As the director of football I would like to think it was him. So why hire someone who doesn't share his vision as you say, in the first place? 

19 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

So you don't think it was MB who hired OC last season? As the director of football I would like to think it was him. So why hire someone who doesn't share his vision as you say, in the first place? 

I’ve no doubts Beuker hired Coyle but I look at it as a stop gap until the right personnel became available, ie Veldman. Coyle was never going to be long term I felt. At the time of Coyle’s appointment, Beuker had been in the dugout for 3 months. It was an embarrassing situation which needed sorting before the season drew to a close 

You look at Coyle and the way ex players from his managerial career talk about his training. Small sided games and little to no shape. Just felt like even from when Coyle was first appointed, it didn’t seem like the type of guy Beuker would massively get on with. Ultimately Coyle standing down has most likely solidified that theory 

Edited by qpfc