The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

3 year deal suggests there’s high hopes for Turner, excited to see what he brings 

Heard rumours of a couple of guys coming in from Southampton(one obviously being turner) 

Edited by qpfc

Interesting article on STV News with Robin Veldman. 

https://news.stv.tv/sport/new-queens-park-manager-robin-veldman-aiming-to-emulate-brightons-success

New Queen's Park boss aiming to emulate Brighton's style at Hampden

New Queen’s Park manager Robin Veldman is aiming to bring a brand of attractive football to Hampden next season after leaving his role at Belgian giants Anderlecht to take over at the Spiders.

Veldman, who was assistant manager in Brussels, has also coached at four-time European champions Ajax but has now decided to take his first step into management in the Scottish Championship as he replaces Owen Coyle who took them to a Premiership play-off place last season.

And the 37-year-old is now looking to emulate the strategy of English Premier League high fliers Brighton and newly promoted Burnley, who are managed by his old Anderlecht mate Vincent Kompany, in Glasgow.

The appointment raised a few eyebrows in Scottish football with it being seen as an ambitious move for the club to bring in someone who has worked at clubs of that calibre.

But Veldman insists it also shows his ambition as he looks to transform the playing style and develop the club going forward.

He said: “I think it shows Queen’s Park ambition, but it’s also my ambition to become a head coach and I don’t think it’s easy to become a head coach.

“You need to take steps. And starting for me was in the under 13s before moving of U16s to 18s to 21s, and to first team football.

“So I think it’s a, it’s a logical step for me without having a career as a professional football player. I think it’s a good step from a youth coach, academy coach towards assistant coach and now fully responsible.

“I think it’s a good pathway.”

Queen’s Park revealed earlier this month that he had agreed a deal to play their Championship games at Hampden next season, after narrowly missing out on promotion to the top-flight in a final day defeat to Dundee before falling at the play-off hurdle.

But Veldman insists their is no urgent pressure for promotion as he looks to a long-term goal to develop young players and bring a signature style to the Glasgow club.

He said: “I would like to play attractive football by using young players and then we’ll see what will come of it.

“There’s no direct pressure to be champion or gain promotion, although his is a nice wish.

“First of all, it’s a nice workflow for young players to adapt in the style of play and especially to develop them.

“It’s a long term goal, our technical director Marijn Beuker has been here for one and a half years.

“I signed a three year deal. So I would also like to stay for a longer term because I don’t believe you’re going to build something in one month or in one year.

“So we are trying to build something special, I think regarding the Scottish League, it’s something different than I was used to in Ajax or in Anderlecht, in the style of play.

“So in the style of play we’re trying to bring something more risky, creative and also the physicality of course.

But when you look at like, for example, Brighton and Hove Albion, the way they play possession based football, this is also something they started a couple of years ago and they keep developing a style of play and that became their identity.

“I think the change, and I know I’m very well, Vincent Kompany made with Burnley, they changed the style of play and that’s a project he did in one year, but now he needs to show it in the Premier League.

“So that’s something comparable I think.”

Lineup looking like this currently 

Ferrie 

?             Bannon          Fox        Robson 

Turner 

Thomson        Spong 

Thomas              Paton             Hepburn 

Right back a glaring position needing filled, hopefully beuker has something lined up his sleeve. Can’t say I know anything about the new guys other than Paton as he’s recognised in the league below 

Very young team I must say, hope we know what we’re doing with new guys coming from down south 

9 hours ago, qpfc said:

Ferrie 

Turner 

Thomson        Spong 

Right back a glaring position needing filled, hopefully beuker has something lined up his sleeve. Can’t say I know anything about the new guys other than Paton as he’s recognised in the league below 

Very young team I must say, hope we know what we’re doing with new guys coming from down south 

It has been said he sets up 3-4-3. For a starting eleven that would require another CB plus the RB position to be filled. In that formation only two of Thomson, Spong and Turner could be accommodated.

16 hours ago, qpfc said:

3 year deal suggests there’s high hopes for Turner, excited to see what he brings 

Heard rumours of a couple of guys coming in from Southampton(one obviously being turner) 

Without stating the obvious this Southampton link is really promising. You don’t need to look far than the list of guys who have come through their academy. The club clearly know how to develop a player.

Ward-Prowse, Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana, Tyrone Mings, Kevin Phillips to name a few. 

Fingers crossed Turner turns out to be half as good as one of the above. 

11 hours ago, qpfc said:

Ferrie 

Turner 

Thomson        Spong 

Right back a glaring position needing filled, hopefully beuker has something lined up his sleeve. Can’t say I know anything about the new guys other than Paton as he’s recognised in the league below.

The trialist Rowe is a right back. So that’s one option. I also quite liked Kane Thomson (I think?) during the Youth Game on Saturday. 

I felt that last year we needed an older experienced head that’d calm things down and settle the guys- I still feel like that. I completely get our philosophy is youth, and young guys, but signing someone of a better calibre of Longridge wouldn’t be unwelcome. 

Just now, an86 said:

I trust Marijn Beuker, but I’m not allowing myself to be Longstaffed again by judging players on the quality of club they arrive from. 

I think that's very fair, but Turner and the other boy we're apparently getting from Southampton (Will Tizzard) both at least played a decent amount of first team football last season on loan to clubs in the National League North/South.

It's the ones that come having only ever had any game time in that Premier League 2 I'm a bit more skeptical of.

33 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Without stating the obvious this Southampton link is really promising. You don’t need to look far than the list of guys who have come through their academy. The club clearly know how to develop a player.

Ward-Prowse, Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana, Tyrone Mings, Kevin Phillips to name a few. 

Fingers crossed Turner turns out to be half as good as one of the above. 

I like how you've listed a bunch of recent Southampton graduate players and managed to miss off the best of them all by quite some distance!

27 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I think that's very fair, but Turner and the other boy we're apparently getting from Southampton (Will Tizzard) both at least played a decent amount of first team football last season on loan to clubs in the National League North/South.

It's the ones that come having only ever had any game time in that Premier League 2 I'm a bit more skeptical of.

Tizzard and Turner have the same agent. 

7BE9EB5C-BD85-4533-A22B-23FB2C372B80.png

Longstaff came to QP before Beuker joined the club so I doubt the scouting and due diligence on potential new players was as thorough as it is nowadays. It seemed recruitment that league 1 campaign was pick a player and hope for the best

I’ve listened to how Beuker scouts guys to join QP and he leaves no stone unturned. He mentioned on Saturday at lesser about not necessarily signing the top individual players but the ones that fit best for the style of play and the team as a whole. I’m confident we won’t be longstaffed again 

Edited by qpfc

23 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

Going to be a very young team next season

I think I've accepted that now and I don't think it'll be an issue. Some of our best players last season were young (Mal, Savoury, Thomson) and a couple of the experienced guys brought in were rotten (like Eze and Naismith).

As long as they're the right players I don't mind. Signing an actual, proven striker is probably what has put my mind at ease the most.

Edited by Zanetti