The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Just now, Spooky Spider said:

God, I hope we get some news on the Head Coach soon, these debates are becoming increasingly esoteric (a bit like Veldman's zonal marking at corners)

It is somewhat bizarre there's just been the one, terse statement so far. If I'm this frustrated at the running of your club then I can't imagine what you guys are feeling.

Same goes for the current Ed City situation, though I imagine they've got all their fingers in dykes right now.

53 minutes ago, Spooky Spider said:

God, I hope we get some news on the Head Coach soon, these debates are becoming increasingly esoteric (a bit like Veldman's zonal marking at corners)

Well I'm gonnae take the bull by the horns, or should that be grasp the nettle, and suggest the only solution to having a knowledgeable and trustworthy individual in the Head Coach positionin time for this Saturday.

For me it's got to be "Beardy" 🥸, you know that nice QP fan, who appeared on the BBC's QP snapshot, replying with his catchphrase  " I'm your man"

Anyone who thinks they can do any better should either stand up and be counted, or forever "haud yer wheest"  

34 minutes ago, QP's in my DNA said:

Well I'm gonnae take the bull by the horns, or should that be grasp the nettle, and suggest the only solution to having a knowledgeable and trustworthy individual in the Head Coach positionin time for this Saturday.

For me it's got to be "Beardy" 🥸, you know that nice QP fan, who appeared on the BBC's QP snapshot, replying with his catchphrase  " I'm your man"

Anyone who thinks they can do any better should either stand up and be counted, or forever "haud yer wheest"  

Absolutely on board with this despite the obvious issue in that Beardy can barely manage himself.

Passion and commitment not in doubt though and zonal marking at corners cannae be any worse.

Why don't Queen's Park fans sing?: discuss.

Apart from a hardy small core who do their best every week the majority of the QP faithful don't sing or make much noise. Why?

Stenny was pretty good last year although I noticed that the far end of the main stand was usually quiet but I was hopeful that we would take some of that atmosphere back with us to Lesser.  But the few games there were pretty quiet too.

So what's up guys and ideas on changing it? Or will we always be labelled "what a sh#tey home support"?

5 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Apart from a hardy small core who do their best every week the majority of the QP faithful don't sing or make much noise. Why?

Stenny was pretty good last year although I noticed that the far end of the main stand was usually quiet but I was hopeful that we would take some of that atmosphere back with us to Lesser.  But the few games there were pretty quiet too.

So what's up guys and ideas on changing it? Or will we always be labelled "what a sh#tey home support"?

I think it's because of where we play. Unlike other clubs we've never had a compact bespoke ground with an end behind the goals for the diehards. It's either someone else's stadium or the cavernous Hampden which is so empty at times it feels haunted. So a small five hundred capacity stand behind one of the goals at Lesser and I'd be right in there. Maybe we could all dress in black like those tits at Dundee United (reminds me of that scene in the Battle of the Bulge when Robert Shaw is addressing his Panzer Division). Tho not black, we could all wear Spiderman outfits.

9 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Pretty sure the shitey home support tag is based on numbers - easy target and all that. Difficult to build any atmosphere in the soulless dust bowl we inhabit. Add how utterly uninspiring and slow the footie on show is its little wonder there is little to no atmosphere. 

Always been thus which is why I’ve always preferred away games in truth.

11 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Fans will react to what they see on the park, which has largely been horse shite this season. Stenny and Firhill were both better in terms of atmosphere. We’re always going to struggle to make a noise at Hampden because it’s so vast. 

I’m quick to moan about the things we aren’t doing, but in fairness to the club they’ve accommodated a wee section for folk who want to stand and sing. Felt it was decent against Thistle and it’s probably no coincidence that it was one of the best performances of the season. 

Like most teams, we’re far more vocal on the road. You can attribute that to being more huddled together and alcohol consumption. This was another reason for looking forward to building a decent wee stadium, but we all know what happened there. That Thistle game on a Friday night would have been a 3,000 sell out under the lights and the atmosphere and sense of occasion would have been brilliant. 

20 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

If I wanted to sing, I would join a choir! Applause yes, shouting "what a sh#tey home support" is very immature, every set of fans shout this stuff. Meaningless. Showing support to me means going to as many games as you can, never walking out, whatever the circumstances. Never giving the players a hard time, they are just as devastated by a loss or poor game.

Edited by Southsideforever

I still think the atmosphere even at Hampden would be better with anything to actually cheer about. The game last season against Accies when we won 4-0, and even the Thistle match at the end of October (even though we chucked it away) were decent examples of that. A massive factor is just that the product on the park is brutal at the moment.

3 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I understand the reference to our nomadic existence and subsistence on "sloppy seconds" but gypsy is considered a pejorative term. The preferred term is Romany or Romani, which I still wouldn't use in this comparison. 

What you are referring to are a people, which of course would require the word to be used as a proper noun, thus starting with a capital letter. You’ll note my dictionary reference is a small ‘n’. It’s your mind that’s warped, not mine.

And if you really want to split hairs, the word gypsy originates from India and was attributed to travellers from that region. Nowhere near the Black Sea or any of its bordering states. Why you’ve brought the Romani people into it only you will know. What have you got against Indians? 

So that’s a fail at grammar. A fail at history. A fail at geography. And a passive racist against India and its entire population. Anything else you want to have a go at me for?

Live and let live.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

What you are referring to are a people, which of course would require the word to be used as a proper noun, thus starting with a capital letter. You’ll note my dictionary reference is a small ‘n’. It’s your mind that’s warped, not mine.

And if you really want to split hairs, the word gypsy originates from India and was attributed to travellers from that region. Nowhere near the Black Sea or any of its bordering states. Why you’ve brought the Romani people into it only you will know. What have you got against Indians? 

So that’s a fail at grammar. A fail at history. A fail at geography. And a passive racist against India and its entire population. Anything else you want to have a go at me for?

Live and let live.

I have a BA in linguistics and a master's degree in teaching English to speakers of other languages but feel free to correct me, sir 😂 This is the Internet, after all. 

The word 'gypsy' derives from the word 'Egyptian' which was the label applied to people from the traveller community in pre-modern English. Most people had heard of Egypt and not India, where as you say they did originate, and so called these people 'Egyptians'. So it isn't a label used by the community itself (though some have internalised and appropriated it). It's rather like using the term 'Indian' to describe indigenous people from the Americas, so in that sense it could be considered offensive.

Anyway on to my main point.

Isn't Owen Coyle currently managing in India? Is this a subtle hint that he's coming back?

Just now, Spidersmad said:

This thread has gone right down the pan. Weirder than the weirdest Dundee thread.

This is what happens when you have a club who can't be bothered to update the fans on the Head Coach situation. Also where the hell did you get that photo of me. Come on let's all just list our higher degrees while we wait. Bet Chelsea fans don't have this level of intellectual cut and thrust on their forum. It's all Combat 18 and Skinhead music. Speaking of which why have Dundee United fans taken to dressing up like the SS? 

2 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

This one is a bit tricky for me. I've lived in Glasgow only for 9 years and attended my first QP game at Hampden just before Covid hit, I think. I come from a country where you can go to football matches and lose your sense of hearing permanently. I was at the Fenerbahçe game when Beşiktaş fans broke the world record for the loudest decibel level ever recorded at a football ground (132 decibels). 

Sometimes I miss the roar and the chaos and the endless singing but to be honest with you, I feel much safer here and enjoy what I see on the pitch more. 

That being said, I agree that we are too quiet. There are a number of reasons for this and I'm not going to repeat what other people said here previously. I just want to say I love a good chant and will try to join as much as I can from now on. 

Edited by EaglesandSpiders