The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

4 hours ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Granted, a fair bit of work is still needed but we were promised "bigger and better" when the plans were changed to incorporate the royal box. What we have so far is smaller and worse. It may well be better for the teams (changing rooms) and directors (royal box) but for the ordinary fan, what we have is really disappointing. I still don't know what they were thinking of.

With you. Like it or not, I simply think we're hanging our hat on staying at Hampden.

31 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

I think the current stand holds just under 1,000 and the 40 members of the Royale family take the capacity just over 1,000. I would love a decent terracing to be included.

If we were allowed terracing, you could bring the capacity up significantly. Interestingly, Edinburgh have been allowed to have standing at their "new" ground although I was told "new" grounds (like Lesser) had to be all-seater, per the SFA. 

Unfortunately, the royal box has screwed the potential on that side for anything, but there's a big bit of ground at the north end.

4 hours ago, pmonigatti said:

I don't personally mind games at 'big hampden' but I think the best thing for the club going forward would be a lesser hampden with circa 5k capacity that would then provide an excellent atmosphere and environment for football. 

I absolutely agree with you on this. But 5k? That’d be f***in right! 

Space limitations aside, I genuinely don’t think the club has the money.

21 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

I absolutely agree with you on this. But 5k? That’d be f***in right! 

Space limitations aside, I genuinely don’t think the club has the money.

3,000/3,500 would be perfect. More than enough for the overwhelming majority of games. Supply very, very occasionally outstripping demand. Even in the event of the top flight, it’d be enough. Occasional tears about tickets from opponents, but who cares?

If we were ever promoted, the Hampden question would become contentious. A national association basically giving a team that couldn’t build their own ground an enormous sporting advantage by allowing them to rake in ticket dosh. You’re talking a seven figure sum from less than a handful of fixtures. Taking a step back and being objective, it would not look good. It’s just such a frustrating corner to have put ourselves in. 

18 minutes ago, an86 said:

3,000/3,500 would be perfect. More than enough for the overwhelming majority of games. Supply very, very occasionally outstripping demand. Even in the event of the top flight, it’d be enough. Occasional tears about tickets from opponents, but who cares?

If we were ever promoted, the Hampden question would become contentious. A national association basically giving a team that couldn’t build their own ground an enormous sporting advantage by allowing them to rake in ticket dosh. You’re talking a seven figure sum from less than a handful of fixtures. Taking a step back and being objective, it would not look good. It’s just such a frustrating corner to have put ourselves in. 

I think at the very least if the club were to announce the plan was to finish what was started and currently has approved plans then taking the capacity up to the 1,700 would be a small stepping stone. The argument then is whether to find even more money to build a stand at the Somerville drive end.

I feel the capacity has to reflect the ambition of the club. If we're putting in such an effort into growing the support (of which I count myself as one) then I'd like to see the club actually refresh the strategy and tell us what the ultimate aim is.

18 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

I think at the very least if the club were to announce the plan was to finish what was started and currently has approved plans then taking the capacity up to the 1,700 would be a small stepping stone. The argument then is whether to find even more money to build a stand at the Somerville drive end.

I feel the capacity has to reflect the ambition of the club. If we're putting in such an effort into growing the support (of which I count myself as one) then I'd like to see the club actually refresh the strategy and tell us what the ultimate aim is.

The club's communication is great - when it suits them - match reports & highlights, Callum's pre & post match interviews, which schools & community groups are attending games & how much they appreciate it, who can design the best Xmas card or Pizza, which players are best at pool & darts, how much everyone loves our hospitality.... but on the plans for the City Stadium, not a bloody word.

How long do we have a deal to play at Hampden for?

What happens if Bon Jovi & Madonna want to play there in August some year?

Why did the City Stadium only host 3 competitive matches for the men's teams & one for the women's team last season?

Do they plan to utilise it more next season?

If not  - why not?

Does the club have any plans to do further work on the City Stadium?

If so, when?

What is the ultimate goal for the City Stadium?

Is it lack of money that is holding us back?

If it is, do we have any plans to raise that money?

I think I would be less hacked off, if I was confident there was some sort of plan & had some understanding of what that plan is. I am long past caring as to whose fault it is that we are where we are, I just want some idea of where we are going.

8 hours ago, pmonigatti said:

Get what you're saying, but I also think 1700 would be a waste of time when that's lower than our average attendance during a season where we've been torture to watch at times, especially at home!

12 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

With you. Like it or not, I simply think we're hanging our hat on staying at Hampden.

I'd rather we didn't but can see some reasoning for staying at Hampden.  But why can't they be upfront and say that? Fans, season ticket holders, members, sponsors, indeed even the local community, should know what the long(er) term plans are!

From the club website:  Pity about Sheridan, but should I not expect to see Liam Mcleish here?

Players under contract for season 2024/25:

Alex Bannon
Lennon Connolly
Calum Ferrie
Charlie Fox
Aaron Healy
Sam Kane
Ruari Paton
Lewis Reid
Dom Thomas
Jack Thomson
Will Tizzard
Jack Turner
Danny Wilson
Sean Welsh
Scott Williamson

Players offered new terms:

Cammy Bruce
Stuart McKinstry
Louis Longridge
Grant Savoury

They’ve managed to leave out both Liam Mcleish and Josh Scott from the list for some reason 

Thought we might keep a hold of Sheridan for one more year but the rest aren’t surprising. You could tell from recent interviews that Mckinstry was likely to be offered a deal

Robson’s been a good servant. Two promotions and nearly a third, but felt like he was probably going to be moving on.

Heart would have kept Sheridan because he’s been brilliant, but the head is saying you can’t re-sign a guy who couldn’t regularly play ninety minutes at Championship level, if called upon. I look forward to both signing for Morton and playing out of their skin under Imrie. 

Just now, Anonymous Spider said:

If I’m being charitable/ optimistic I hope McLeish and Scott aren’t on this list because new contracts are being announced this avo.

If I’m being pessimistic, that’s the last we’ve seen of Savoury and Bruce. 

McLeish signed a new contract in March, so I think it's just a mistake.

No mention of Mauchin either?

2 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Get what you're saying, but I also think 1700 would be a waste of time when that's lower than our average attendance during a season where we've been torture to watch at times, especially at home!

I don't disagree but i'd just like to see them come out and either finish the job or announce that they are wanting to go in a different direction from the original plans. We're stuck in an unnecessary purgatory with it at the moment.