The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

21 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Btw Hampden Diehard, is there any word on where the Queens Park Women's team will be playing next season?

No idea where any of our teams are playing next year. All will be clear in July / August.

22 minutes ago, Cyclops van Gogh 1867 said:

Could be Alan Irvine, managed Palace at one time? 

Now there's a player. He was part of the team when I started going to Queen's games with my dad. He worked beside a friend's dad and got me the title winning squad's autographs on a copy of what I think was called "The Web". Sadly, I seem to have lost it at some point.

22 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Now there's a player. He was part of the team when I started going to Queen's games with my dad. He worked beside a friend's dad and got me the title winning squad's autographs on a copy of what I think was called "The Web". Sadly, I seem to have lost it at some point.

A great winger. Went on to play for Everton and Crystal Palace. Remember him running rings around the great ( admittedly past his best at that point) Danny McGrain in a Glasgow Cup tie. Think we beat Celtic 3-2. Great memories. Sounds unbelievable, I better check I'm not havering as usual!

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

David Hopkin has been doing Scottish scouting for them, so as he was apparently helping Nuijten out after Veldman left maybe he's maintained a link with someone and is directing your attention towards their released players?

Some irony if he's ended up being a source of quality players for a club at this level when recruitment was the by far the worst of his many flaws as a manager.

Mr Hopkin has been seen around Hampden at QP games and I think you could be right regards players for QP.

1 hour ago, mcjameos said:

Ah, The Web! That knowledgeable tome that was so much better than the then official programme. I think I still might have the odd copy about. There was also the "Off The Ball" that was occasionally around too. - Great days!

1 hour ago, mcjameos said:

Scored the best goal I have ever seen against partick thistle . 

24 minutes ago, QP MAD said:

Scored the best goal I have ever seen against partick thistle . 

Took the ball inside his own half close to the north terracing. Beat a handful of thistle players and scored past Alan Rough?

On 29/04/2024 at 20:12, Hampden Diehard said:

I was hopeful for the Arbroath game, but didn't see a five goal spanking on the cards.

Great that it's back in our own hands now and even better than that Airdrie will have at least one eye on the playoffs. 

Big Dunc will maybe contribute to the debate but, Airdrie, feel free to freewheel through this one.

A QP win and Paton to end his goal drought.

I cannot wait for this season to end.

Looking at the final league table, we were 1 win from 5th. That would have been some achievement for Davidson.and the players.  Reviewing the actual matches, we should have been 10 points better off. We should have got at least a draw at Raith away in September ( lost 2 goals in last 5 minutes) , we should have beaten Aidrie (away) in October instead of a draw, 3 points dropped at home to Raith in November ( 2-1 up against 10 men) , at least a draw against 10 man Morton away in December, should have beaten Partick at home in March instead of a draw ( 2 up) and at least a draw at home to ICT in April . Those 10 points would have had us in the playoff position of 3rd or 4th.  Our goals for 50 was 5th in the league. Our goals against killed us and left us with a - 6 goal difference. However, it was a great recovery from bottom in December so we should look back at last season as another year's Championship experience gained for a very young squad. With a good summer transfer plan we should be looking at Top 4 this coming season.  Nothing to fear from Livingston and we are better than Raith Partick and Airdrie and know how to beat all 3. Morton Ayr and Dunfermline will all struggle again for mid table next season . Hamilton and Falkirk will make the Championship even more competitive. Looking forward to a wee holiday now and to 24/25 with positivity and higher expectations. We'll Done Queens Park players and Management for keeping us up 

Hoping to start a bit of discussion on what the team needs next year. This (for what its worth) is what I reckon is our best 11 to start the season based on who we are likely to have. Making the assumption that all those offered new deals take them.

From this I think we still need cover at right full back (which is likely where the previous link with the crystal palace lad would solve). Left full back I think if Bruce signs we're covered, if not it will certainly need someone brought in.

I think another two central midfielders are needed and a centre back wouldn't go amiss.

I previously posted that I thought Scott Banks would be an QP signing given his injury history and being available for free. After seeing some footage of him I think he seems like a sensible option and provides an excellent set piece threat which we don't really have.

Lastly I think bolstering the striker position is something that could be done using the loan market as Paton would preferably play most games.

image.png.3dcd6d1f6320c904557d4f78c5b1f1a3.png

3 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Mr Hopkin has been seen around Hampden at QP games and I think you could be right regards players for QP.

Other than new players it appears that we are looking for a goalkeeping coach for the Academy goalkeepers. If interested you have to apply to somebody called Ruth McGeoch. Anybody out there know who she is?

Afternoon all,

On Thursday I’m in the privileged position to be interviewing your captain Dom Thomas himself for my podcast “Today Wheelenterview”. Having been a ball boy years ago and keeping a wee eye on the club ever since I’m really looking forward to it.

This interview will be for you guys, and I’d love to get you all involved. Is there anything you’d like me to ask Dom on your behalf, or any issues or topics regarding himself or the club itself you’d like me to cover? There’s never a dull moment at Hampden, and with the season done and dusted I’m sure there’s a million and one things on your minds about QP at the moment.

Very happy to share it when it’s ready to go, and I look forward to getting down to Hampden next season. All the best!

1 hour ago, charliewheelen said:

Afternoon all,

On Thursday I’m in the privileged position to be interviewing your captain Dom Thomas himself for my podcast “Today Wheelenterview”. Having been a ball boy years ago and keeping a wee eye on the club ever since I’m really looking forward to it.

This interview will be for you guys, and I’d love to get you all involved. Is there anything you’d like me to ask Dom on your behalf, or any issues or topics regarding himself or the club itself you’d like me to cover? There’s never a dull moment at Hampden, and with the season done and dusted I’m sure there’s a million and one things on your minds about QP at the moment.

Very happy to share it when it’s ready to go, and I look forward to getting down to Hampden next season. All the best!

Would be interested to get his general take on the madness that’s occurred since he joined. The football up until the end of January of Coyle’s season in the Championship is the best I’ve ever seen from a QP team. Four goals away to Thistle, four away to Arbroath, five away at Raith, four at Hamilton and six at Cove.

The madness of selling Murray on the up to Inverness, winning the game and then being knocked out of the cup because his replacement was unregistered seemed to absolutely kill us in one go. There’s a widely held feeling that we’d have won the league if he’d stayed and would be interested to get his feelings on all of that. Also the differences between Coyle, Veldman and Davidson in terms of styles, as they seem like three guys who are very different as personalities and coaches. 

10 minutes ago, an86 said:

Would be interested to get his general take on the madness that’s occurred since he joined. The football up until the end of January of Coyle’s season in the Championship is the best I’ve ever seen from a QP team. Four goals away to Thistle, four away to Arbroath, five away at Raith, four at Hamilton and six at Cove.

The madness of selling Murray on the up to Inverness, winning the game and then being knocked out of the cup because his replacement was unregistered seemed to absolutely kill us in one go. There’s a widely held feeling that we’d have won the league if he’d stayed and would be interested to get his feelings on all of that. Also the differences between Coyle, Veldman and Davidson in terms of styles, as they seem like three guys who are very different as personalities and coaches. 

Absolutely no shortage of drama since he's come in. I've always loved asking guys about the managers they've worked with, so we'll be covering those three from the last couple of years. The second half of the title charge season will also be a big point of discussion, keen to find out what fell away, and if that night in Inverness had a bit to do with it. Should have no problem weaving these points into the interview, Dom's as talkative and open as anyone. Thanks very much mate!

5 hours ago, Tangled web said:

Took the ball inside his own half close to the north terracing. Beat a handful of thistle players and scored past Alan Rough?

I had a copy of the match report for years …it was described as a ..Roy of the Rovers goal .

making an account on here just to

1) endorse 'today wheelenterview', as chazza is a good pal of mine and has a great podcast ( i actually own half as i came up w/ the name ). theres a great one up with darren young, & without giving too much away, there should be one coming up with a certain *dick* that was a staple manager of the lower leagues at the seasides 👀.

2) laugh at inverness

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

7 hours ago, Cyclops van Gogh 1867 said:

A great winger. Went on to play for Everton and Crystal Palace. Remember him running rings around the great ( admittedly past his best at that point) Danny McGrain in a Glasgow Cup tie. Think we beat Celtic 3-2. Great memories. Sounds unbelievable, I better check I'm not havering as usual!

I keep finding out that these quality players were at Queen's Park.  Alan's last days at Everton were just as they really were becoming a great side.  I remember Graeme Souness scoring to deny him a Milk (League) Cup winner's medal, much to the delight of a thirteen year old me watching the replayed final on telly.  He seems to be held in high regard for his coaching role with the Blues.

43 minutes ago, adamqpfc said:

making an account on here just to

1) endorse 'today wheelenterview', as chazza is a good pal of mine and has a great podcast ( i actually own half as i came up w/ the name ). theres a great one up with darren young, & without giving too much away, there should be one coming up with a certain *dick* that was a staple manager of the lower leagues at the seasides 👀.

2) laugh at inverness

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Two fairly reasonable points here in fairness