The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Staggering that he is getting a move to that level.

You can partially blame your current manager for it if you like.

Had us giving 6 figure yearly salaries to folk like Ali Crawford, with annual losses of almost £2m, crippling us to the degree we have to rebuild our squad every Summer. Very few teams do well without a settled core and yer man made our "core" a bunch of expensive, declining, mid-30s players who are having staggered departures.

MacLean attempted "quality over quantity" last season and it bombed, Levein going for "quantity" this year, with peanuts spent on back up to bulk numbers, and money spent on starters.

McPake seen as a cheap "number" who might get better to the point he's useful, and if he doesn't then little moneys been wasted.

Edited by RandomGuy.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You can partially blame your current manager for it if you like.

Had us giving 6 figure yearly salaries to folk like Ali Crawford, with annual losses of almost £2m, crippling us to the degree we have to rebuild our squad every Summer. Very few teams do well without a settled core and yer man made our "core" a bunch of expensive, declining, mid-30s players who are having staggered departures.

MacLean attempted "quality over quantity" last season and it bombed, Levein going for "quantity" this year, with peanuts spent on back up to bulk numbers, and money spent on starters.

McPake seen as a cheap "number" who might get better to the point he's useful, and if he doesn't then little moneys been wasted.

Davidson's poor judgement aside, that sounds like St. Johnstone's fault for giving him far too much control of those things.

6 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Davidson's poor judgement aside, that sounds like St. Johnstone's fault for giving him far too much control of those things.

Aye. Steve Brown is the one who shoulders most of the blame. Literally just walked away. Davidson ended up helping hire the man who was responsible for telling him no.

Davidson knew exactly what level we were working at financially though, he's had literal decades of knowledge to lean on, and still built the biggest, most expensive, squad we've ever had.

You'll no doubt claim it's dramatic and blaming him for too much, but it's a great example of how 2-3 windows without moving forwards can ruin a club for years upon years at this level.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye. Steve Brown is the one who shoulders most of the blame. Literally just walked away. Davidson ended up helping hire the man who was responsible for telling him no.

Davidson knew exactly what level we were working at financially though, he's had literal decades of knowledge to lean on, and still built the biggest, most expensive, squad we've ever had.

You'll no doubt claim it's dramatic and blaming him for too much, but it's a great example of how 2-3 windows without moving forwards can ruin a club for years upon years at this level.

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone to see clubs in Scotland struggle a bit financially, very few clubs are properly minted, even the ones that are allegedly being bankrolled. Queen's fans will still be somewhat perplexed to see you sign McPake even if it is just a shot in the dark given how poor he was for us!

2 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone to see clubs in Scotland struggle a bit financially, very few clubs are properly minted, even the ones that are allegedly being bankrolled. Queen's fans will still be somewhat perplexed to see you sign McPake even if it is just a shot in the dark given how poor he was for us!

Levein has an obsession with "rough diamonds" so I think the chance of making something of a former "wonderkid" who nobody else gets going was too much to resist. 

B Team playing Albion Rovers away on July 20th. A Queen’s Park side also playing Thorn Athletic of the WOSL on the same day. No confirmed venues etc. but down as the away side on both. 

2 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

Staggering that he is getting a move to that level.

I sometimes wonder if McPake gets a worse press than he deserves. He was a regular starter for the first half of season 2022-23 which saw the team at the top of the championship in January. His appearances tailed off with talk of "off-field issues" 

If you look at posts on here, towards the end of 2022, you will see a fair few praising his performances.

Whatever these issues were, if he has got them sorted, there might just be a player in there.
At least he is not playing for one of our rivals.

Edited by Arachnophile

8 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

I sometimes wonder if McPake gets a worse press than he deserves. He was a regular starter for the first half of season 2022-23 which saw the team at the top of he championship in January. His appearances tailed off with talk of "off-field issues" 

If you look at posts on here, towards the end of 2022, you will see a fair few praising his performances.

Whatever these issues were, if he has got them sorted, there might just be a player in there.
At least he is not playing for one of our rivals.

He underwhelmed for much of his time for us and only seemed to have one move to cut inside and shoot which defenders soon got wise to and he had nothing else to offer.

My memories of him are scoring a couple of belters early doors, regularly getting easily dispossessed, and throwing himself to the ground at the slightest touch and waving his arms about in frustratiom when things didn't go his way. Hope for his sake he has improved.

2 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

He underwhelmed for much of his time for us and only seemed to have one move to cut inside and shoot which defenders soon got wise to and he had nothing else to offer.

My memories of him are scoring a couple of belters early doors, regularly getting easily dispossessed, and throwing himself to the ground at the slightest touch and waving his arms about in frustratiom when things didn't go his way. Hope for his sake he has improved.

I think it's worth bearing in mind the standard of player he's up there with though. He's not Dom Thomas for sure, but I'd have him over McKinstry any day
Premiership might be a wee bit beyond him but I do think he's getting unwarranted criticism

8 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

regularly getting easily dispossessed, and throwing himself to the ground at the slightest touch and waving his arms about in frustratiom when things didn't go his way

My memory also, along with the Peacock-like warm up routines.  

Daily Ranger reporting today that the SFA are open to discussions with Rangers to loan them Hampden whilst they sort out the Ibrox issue and that they'd have to 'dovetail' with us, which I read as more Friday night games for QP

6 hours ago, starshot131 said:

I think it's worth bearing in mind the standard of player he's up there with though. He's not Dom Thomas for sure, but I'd have him over McKinstry any day
Premiership might be a wee bit beyond him but I do think he's getting unwarranted criticism

You are entitled to your opinion of course. Seems he spent some time at Stirling Albion last year and judging by some of the comments by their fans posted on the St Johnstone forum he is exactly the same player that we had 😬. Hope the lad wises up and adds to his game (and attitude) or he will at a new club by Xmas.

Given the above I'd happily take McKinstry over McPake. Whilst he could also frustrate at times he is full of tricks, always seems to have time when he has the ball at his feet. If we can get him to be on the same wavelength as his team mates he could be some player, probably better than Savoury imo.

2 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

You are entitled to your opinion of course. Seems he spent some time at Stirling Albion last year and judging by some of the comments by their fans posted on the St Johnstone forum he is exactly the same player that we had 😬. Hope the lad wises up and adds to his game (and attitude) or he will at a new club by Xmas.

Given the above I'd happily take McKinstry over McPake. Whilst he could also frustrate at times he is full of tricks, always seems to have time when he has the ball at his feet. If we can get him to be on the same wavelength as his team mates he could be some player, probably better than Savoury imo.

I really don't think McKinstry is fit to lace Savoury's boots. I don't recognise the player you talk about.

Every team at this level will experience missing out on targets, but it feels slightly more amplified due to only having a sub keeper signed at this point. Youve got to think 2-3 will come in over the next week or 2 

Having looked at the pre season pics, I noticed what looks to be Josh Hinds training again with us. Assuming we’ve sorted the compensation issue that prevented signing him in January time 

32 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Every team at this level will experience missing out on targets, but it feels slightly more amplified due to only having a sub keeper signed at this point. Youve got to think 2-3 will come in over the next week or 2 

Having looked at the pre season pics, I noticed what looks to be Josh Hinds training again with us. Assuming we’ve sorted the compensation issue that prevented signing him in January time 

Hinds also wearing Williamson's number 19 which is interesting. Suspect we may not see him again any time soon, although there are obviously other possible explanations!

Also worth noting Zach Mauchin appears to have been upgraded from squad number 33 to number 2, if those photos are anything to go by. Suggests he'll be much more involved this season; possibly even our starting right back?

6 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Hinds also wearing Williamson's number 19 which is interesting. Suspect we may not see him again any time soon, although there are obviously other possible explanations!

Also worth noting Zach Mauchin appears to have been upgraded from squad number 33 to number 2, if those photos are anything to go by. Suggests he'll be much more involved this season; possibly even our starting right back?

Squad numbers aren't always meaningful...
Did we not have Kenny and then Henderson as our "number 9s" in the 22/23 season

Edited by starshot131
I said "last season" which is misleading at this time of the year

Didn’t seem to be any sign of Alex Bannon in the pics or video put up. Hopefully there’s some clarification on whether he’s off in the coming days. Given his absence, would assume the rumours of him leaving are more likely than not ?