The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Remember when OC was in charge, when the team was progressive vertically, when players could play one touch football who knew exactly where the spaces where that their team-mates would be running into, so that those vertical, one touch passes could be made, quickly and effectively?, yeah, tonight was none of that.  

We are a static shambles.  When Dom Thomas is looking for the ball on his own 18 yard line, you know the game's a bogey.  

1 hour ago, williebraveheart said:

Well, 3-5-2 doesn't work.

The Hibs press meant that Kerr and Scott had to come so far back that left us with a line of five at the back with nobody mobile enough to get across to either flank to make that width count vertically and so we continued to pass back to the crowded middle or hoof it up on the off-chance Rudden might be within 15 yards of it. Doesn't seem to matter how many CB's we have, they still get turned, so why not stick with our best two, whomever that may be and give us another outlet further and wider up the pitch.

The article states that QP are drawing up their own contingency plans for playing at Lesser til the new year. If (and its a big if) that meant temporary stands allowing for increased capacity would those in this forum be content?

Appreciate that the article is likely mostly paper talk, but taking it at face value I do wonder what such contingency looked like.

Just now, pmonigatti said:

The article states that QP are drawing up their own contingency plans for playing at Lesser til the new year. If (and its a big if) that meant temporary stands allowing for increased capacity would those in this forum be content?

It's a "NO" from me - we would still be in exactly the same position as we are now once the stands are taken down.  I would be perfectly happy to allow Rangers unfettered access to Hampden as long as we have a solution that works for however long it takes until they get back to Ibrox (probably temporary stand/s) but also some tangible long term benefit (e.g. a permanent stand or two once the temporary ones are taken down. )

I don't think there is any realistic chance of this happening.

Just now, pmonigatti said:

Appreciate that the article is likely mostly paper talk, but taking it at face value I do wonder what such contingency looked like.

It may be paper talk but:

a) there are enough folk saying that Ibrox will not be ready in early September to make that a strong possibility

b) We can be confident in the knowledge that the needs of RFC will always take precedence over the needs of QPFC. 

7 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

It depends how temporary the temporary stands are really
If the stands last until next summer then get taken away and are never seen again, then no. We're back to square 1 with a lot of faffing about

If instead they last until we put together the cash to build proper seating/terracing, then absolutely. It's a step forward

Just incase any of you fancy a visit to Cliftonhill on Saturday the following is available for you:

Saturday 20th July

Albion Rovers v Queen's Park B at Cliftonhill 3pm k-o
General admission - £5.
Accompanied under-16’s - free entry.
*No unaccompanied under-16s.
Cash only

This match has now been confirmed as on.

12 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Aren’t the two newer stands at Inverness still technically “temporary” stands? I think these things can last a long time if put up right. 

Have Alloa not had a "temporary" stand for about 15 years or so?

15 minutes ago, roy of the rovers said:

Just incase any of you fancy a visit to Cliftonhill on Saturday the following is available for you:

Saturday 20th July

Albion Rovers v Queen's Park B at Cliftonhill 3pm k-o
General admission - £5.
Accompanied under-16’s - free entry.
*No unaccompanied under-16s.
Cash only

This match has now been confirmed as on.

thanks, thinking about going actually

7 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

b) We can be confident in the knowledge that the needs of RFC will always take precedence over the needs of QPFC. 

Would appear this is the mantra of the QP hierarchy themselves.

"Queens Park made it clear to Rangers and to the SFA that they will do whatever is required to help out. If that means postponing their own return to Hampden then they are prepared to flexible".

Wit.

9 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

"But there is a realisation here that one of the biggest clubs in Scotland finds itself in a difficult position and deserves to be shown some goodwill."

Why?

Maybe because they're the youngest team in the league and need to be nurtured. 

51 minutes ago, QPEast said:

Can we stop being called 'an ambitious championship side' especially after a humping last night. 

Depends what the ambition is, apparently to help Rangers. 

11 hours ago, SpiderFromMars said:

Is this the original plan? Or is it something you designed?

Either way, way better than what we have now.

Just my own doodle. There was a 10 row stand proposed for that side originally, although only running half the length of the pitch 

Looking at attendances from last season you'd really need a capacity of at least 2,000 to meet your needs. That would be easy and cheap to bridge with temporary stands but as others have said these would get in the way of building the permanent stands, so basically just kicks the can down the road - which I understand there has been a fair bit of already. I can't think of a scenario where you could achieve both at the same time without redeveloping the west side as well 

11 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

"But there is a realisation here that one of the biggest clubs in Scotland finds itself in a difficult position and deserves to be shown some goodwill."

Why?

Absolutely - the SFA/SPFL continually rollover to get their tummy rubbed by the ugly sisters with not a care for the rest of Scottish football.

10 hours ago, pmonigatti said:

I'd be content for this as a TEMPORARY measure but it needs to be part of a concrete plan to complete a proper home ground for us.

(Or maybe I hope that the committee would talk to us about what their long term plan actually is, and what they are doing to progress towards that objective.)

11 hours ago, pmonigatti said:

I can’t imagine ‘businessman’ Willie Haughey is just rolling over to please Rangers without QP gaining in some sort of fashion.

Whether its funds for temporary stands at lesser which have been supposedly mooted in Rangers forums in recent weeks or favourable terms for some loon signings this season I can’t see it being a one sided affair where QP don’t gain in the slightest.

I don’t know WH enough to defend him, but he’s far from stupid or weak so I’d imagine there must be some sort of beneficial side.

From the outside looking in it seems to me that it's possible Haughey has been basically working on behalf the SFA all along, and that Queen's Park have just been a pawn in that. He appears to have secured them the ownership of Hampden, and a handy nearby training ground, and is now making sure they get the maximum possible rental income too.

In fairness, unlike some other fanbases, there have been a lot on here who have been critical of how the club has been run since the start, and I sympathise massively with those. On the other hand, I think the ones lapping up the Southside Gretna act might have a big fall coming soon. Hopefully the club gets through it all and still ends up with a ground to play at too.