The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Do any of you know what the script is with Poloc Cricket Club? 

Given notice to leave their ground of 140+ years because Queen's Park offered more money to the landlords in order to build a training ground.

12 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Given notice to leave their ground of 140+ years because Queen's Park offered more money to the landlords in order to build a training ground.

Beautiful ground, been there a few times to watch the cricket. Would be a real shame to see it go for a training ground to be built.

31 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Beautiful ground, been there a few times to watch the cricket. Would be a real shame to see it go for a training ground to be built.

This is what I've been told, anyway. I've no reason to disbelieve my friend (an ex Poloc CC 1st XI player), but apologies in advance if this is slandering QP. Shawholm is a lovely ground, does seem a shame. Hopefully Poloc can find another ground, maybe even the public pitches temporarily.

Edited by Cyclizine

53 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

This is what I've been told, anyway. I've no reason to disbelieve my friend (an ex Poloc CC 1st XI player), but apologies in advance if this is slandering QP. Shawholm is a lovely ground, does seem a shame. Hopefully Poloc can find another ground, maybe even the public pitches temporarily.

Looks like your mates spot-on. It’s just through some trees from the football fields at Nether Pollok which the club have been trying to secure for over a year, so very likely. It’s designated for the community teams. The first team squad are now based at Lochinch on the west of the estate.

image.thumb.png.7416a464c0777a61a8c369cd66cce7de.png

8 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Why would we need even more training facilities? 

Maybe we're building a stadium to match our aspirations  ....... and Lesser becomes the training centre... 🤔😜

Edited by mcjameos

2 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Maybe we're building a stadium to match our aspirations  ....... and Lesser becomes the training centre... 🤔😜

I know you're joking, but that thought has probably crossed a few of our minds! A cricket pitch is a decent sized bit of land...

Perhaps it's the start of Leanne Dempster's way of building crowds - put every other sports club in the southside out of business so people will have nothing else to do on a Saturday?

Joking aside, it's a pretty shameful act.

Why would this cricket club not own their current ground if they've been there for that long? Going to be honest, I'd never heard of them prior to these rumours a couple of days ago, and I'm not going to pretend as if I care about them now. It will certainly be a shame for those involved with that club, but if they're only leasing the ground surely this kind of thing should have been planned for in the off chance it ever happened...

As for our involvement, there seems to be plenty of rumours that we're "at fault" for this, but I don't know why other than Lochinch being next door. That seems big enough already so who knows what is planned here, if indeed it is QP taking over the lease. 

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Looks like your mates spot-on. It’s just through some trees from the football fields at Nether Pollok which the club have been trying to secure for over a year, so very likely. It’s designated for the community teams. The first team squad are now based at Lochinch on the west of the estate.

image.thumb.png.7416a464c0777a61a8c369cd66cce7de.png

The "dissolution" part is pretty ominous, to announce they're folding after only being given notice last week suggests that this might not be a total surprise to them.

Its all a bit odd (if its true)  - the club is always banging  on about our wonderful training facilities at Lochinch so why do we need more? If we were acquiring land to build a stadium fit for Championship/premiership football whilst leaving lesser to be used by the young Team & the Women , that would make sense but I think its safe to assume you are not going to be allowed to build such a stadium in Pollok Park.

Its not a great look for the club to be effectively bringing about the demise of an old established sports club but I guess it falls into the same category as demolishing the farmhouse at Lesser  - doesn't look great but ultimately we have done nothing wrong.

Never a dull moment, eh?

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

Its all a bit odd (if its true)  - the club is always banging  on about our wonderful training facilities at Lochinch so why do we need more? If we were acquiring land to build a stadium fit for Championship/premiership football whilst leaving lesser to be used by the young Team & the Women , that would make sense but I think its safe to assume you are not going to be allowed to build such a stadium in Pollok Park.

Its not a great look for the club to be effectively bringing about the demise of an old established sports club but I guess it falls into the same category as demolishing the farmhouse at Lesser  - doesn't look great but ultimately we have done nothing wrong.

Never a dull moment, eh?

If true, dont suppose we know the sequence of events. Could be other factors at play between landlord and cricket club. 

2 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

The "dissolution" part is pretty ominous, to announce they're folding after only being given notice last week suggests that this might not be a total surprise to them.

Indeed. We can also assume they had some kind of notice period with the landlord so any member meeting on dissolution would have to be notified to the landlord. And we could also speculate that given QP have been negotiating with the same landlord over the use of Nether Pollok (as mentioned in my previous post) for over a year then if Poloc CC have notified them of an intention to leave they would probably ask QP if the land would be of use to them.

I'm grateful to you for reading my comment. Looks like all my fellow fans who are debating why we need another training ground haven't got around to my earlier post yet.

No idea about what’s been going on with Polloc as a club, but what is interesting is that cricket is specifically mentioned within the blurb for our community bid at the facility at Holyrood.

I couldn’t tell you an over from a wicket, but it’s someone’s club, same as this is ours. If there’s any way we can accommodate them, we should absolutely do it. Good PR, community values etc. as well.

2 minutes ago, an86 said:

I couldn’t tell you an over from a wicket, but it’s someone’s club, same as this is ours. If there’s any way we can accommodate them, we should absolutely do it. Good PR, community values etc. as well.

We can but hope that the sequence of events doesn't leave Queen's looking like the villains of the piece here. If QP can play a part in helping Polloc CC then that would be all to the good for both clubs.

6 minutes ago, an86 said:

No idea about what’s been going on with Polloc as a club, but what is interesting is that cricket is specifically mentioned within the blurb for our community bid at the facility at Holyrood.

Interesting viewpoint. I'm thinking it's for the community teams, or maybe the women's team. But your thinking we could sponsor the cricket club. Maybe!

From our Articles...

image.png.45cf0f1b151bb0ab29c12570134ad51a.png

34 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Interesting viewpoint. I'm thinking it's for the community teams, or maybe the women's team. But your thinking we could sponsor the cricket club. Maybe!

From our Articles...

image.png.45cf0f1b151bb0ab29c12570134ad51a.png

nothing about building stadiums?