The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 minute ago, an86 said:

We’re the fourth top scorers in the league. We have the leakiest defence in the league. Our number 9 is the joint top scorer in the league. 

We have the leakiest defence in the league because it is changed every other week, we were undefeated and looking a lot better over the last 3 weeks and it is changed yet again today.

The chances that we miss is chronic

Players are either being coached not to shoot, or to look for a pass to score that perfect goal. 

Jarrett had an opportunity where he had a clear sight of goal at a decent angle where he’d test the keeper, yet you knew with every bone in your body he was going to look for the pass. They’re all guilty of it. Pointless cut-backs across the box to nobody or not beating the first man.

2 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Unlike Veldman, I wouldn't put the blame on any of the boys who played today (except maybe Hepburn, who failed to get in the game after he came on). This is 100% on Veldman just like it has been for the last 10 games without a win. And it's simply mind-boggling to hear him say that he is disappointed in the team and that this is "men's football, not boys' football", when he was the one who replaced the "men" on the pitch with children yet again today when all we needed was maturity and composure. Managers who lose games like this start by apologising to the fans instead of saying how disappointed they are in the team. What a p***k! 

2 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Players are either being coached not to shoot, or to look for a pass to score that perfect goal. 

Jarrett had an opportunity where he had a clear sight of goal at a decent angle where he’d test the keeper, yet you knew with every bone in your body he was going to look for the pass. They’re all guilty of it. Pointless cut-backs across the box to nobody or not beating the first man.

Yes that is so weird. They get into the final third on the counter, everyone on their feet, and then they stop, reset and cut the ball back. That has to be the coaching. Personally I think someone will come in and buy Paton, he looks so frustrated and exhausted up there on his own, 25 yards from any team mate. 

1 hour ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

The noise was coming from the directors box. 

As someone who was close to Directors Box I can assure you noise was not coming from there. 
it was coming from Whisky Event - there is lots to be disappointed about today but this is not one of them!

32 minutes ago, Take Me Home Cathcart Road said:

We have the leakiest defence in the league because it is changed every other week, we were undefeated and looking a lot better over the last 3 weeks and it is changed yet again today.

The chances that we miss is chronic

Reid got an injury down at Ayr last week which is why he didn't start today, Veldman mentioned it in his interview during the week.

1 hour ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Unlike Veldman, I wouldn't put the blame on any of the boys who played today (except maybe Hepburn, who failed to get in the game after he came on). This is 100% on Veldman just like it has been for the last 10 games without a win. And it's simply mind-boggling to hear him say that he is disappointed in the team and that this is "men's football, not boys' football", when he was the one who replaced the "men" on the pitch with children yet again today when all we needed was maturity and composure. Managers who lose games like this start by apologising to the fans instead of saying how disappointed they are in the team. What a p***k! 

I don't think Veldman signed any of these players. His job is to coach and develop them in to better players as part of a cohesive team playing a contemporary style of football. He also needs to be mindful of the commitments made to players when they signed for us. And looking at the subs list below who would you have put on that you would be happy not to call children?

• 7Hepburn
  • 14Healy
  • 15Tizzard
  • 16Bruce
  • 22Reid
  • 27Jarrett
  • 28McCormick
  • 31Kane
  • 33Mauchin
Edited by Tangled web

2 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Noise & laughter coming from behind the stand inside the directors boxes during the minute’s silence. 

That was definitely from the Whisky event. I thought that the behaviour of both sets of fans was exemplary at the minutes silence.

If the desire is to move on from Veldman at this point in the season who are the names that should be considered?

As i’ve said already that Tam Courts is a name i’d be looking for. But i’m interested to understand what others thoughts are.

Any calls for Yogi Hughes will be rightfully ignored for the nonsense that it is!

5 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

If the desire is to move on from Veldman at this point in the season who are the names that should be considered?

As i’ve said already that Tam Courts is a name i’d be looking for. But i’m interested to understand what others thoughts are.

Any calls for Yogi Hughes will be rightfully ignored for the nonsense that it is!

Courts would definitely be in the discussion.

Ian McCall would be shouted down as unfashionable, but he generally does a solid job at this level, which is exactly what we need. 

Scott Brown had a solid first full season in management, but was emptied after a poor start this season. Guys with decent records up here have flopped at that level in England, which certainly makes him worth considering. 

Callum Davidson won two cups, but I’d treat the Covid season with a bit more caution. I don’t actually know if he is a good manager or not. Relegation playoff and dogfight the following two seasons suggests that he might not be able to get the most out of what he’s got. 

Wild card. Irish season has just finished and Stephen Bradley has just won his fourth league title on the spin at Shamrock Rovers. He’s only 38 years old as well. He’d probably be fancied by clubs in England and might not see the Scottish Championship as attractive, unless he was given an offer and the resources to make it worth his while. 

I’d punt Veldman right now if I could but I genuinely cannot see a scenario where Beuker honestly goes for it, certainly not in the short-medium term future. This is a ‘Beuker’ appointment. Beuker will realise that this is a mark against his name, his ego won’t allow it 

Realistically when does Veldman’s job become totally untenable? I’ve bookmarked Morton away mid December as the game he’ll have a realistic chance of getting sacked if we’ve had no wins until then 

47 minutes ago, Tangled web said:

I don't think Veldman signed any of these players. His job is to coach and develop them in to better players as part of a cohesive team playing a contemporary style of football. He also needs to be mindful of the commitments made to players when they signed for us. And looking at the subs list below who would you have put on that you would be happy not to call children?

• 7Hepburn
  • 14Healy
  • 15Tizzard
  • 16Bruce
  • 22Reid
  • 27Jarrett
  • 28McCormick
  • 31Kane
  • 33Mauchin

It sounds like you are actually asking me a question so here's my answer. We had 11 players on the pitch and at least 10 of them are mature enough to continuously play and compete at this level. When I saw the starting eleven, I agreed this was our strongest team barring any current injuries. This 11 train all week to play only once a week and again barring bans or injuries should be able to consistently do so all season. There is no reason to replace any of them with any of the kids on the bench especially during a game where we came so close to winning 3 points after 9 games, dominating possession in the second half, building momentum and creating chance after chance. A good manager helps youngsters by giving them minutes on the pitch when it is both safe for the team's progress and beneficial for the youngsters' development. Veldman isn't one. 

Edited by EaglesandSpiders

17 minutes ago, an86 said:

Courts would definitely be in the discussion.

Ian McCall would be shouted down as unfashionable, but he generally does a solid job at this level, which is exactly what we need. 

Scott Brown had a solid first full season in management, but was emptied after a poor start this season. Guys with decent records up here have flopped at that level in England, which certainly makes him worth considering. 

Callum Davidson won two cups, but I’d treat the Covid season with a bit more caution. I don’t actually know if he is a good manager or not. Relegation playoff and dogfight the following two seasons suggests that he might not be able to get the most out of what he’s got. 

Wild card. Irish season has just finished and Stephen Bradley has just won his fourth league title on the spin at Shamrock Rovers. He’s only 38 years old as well. He’d probably be fancied by clubs in England and might not see the Scottish Championship as attractive, unless he was given an offer and the resources to make it worth his while. 

I respect the above is your opinion but I’d prefer QP to stay away from Ian McCall who is a Yogi Hughes type appointment in my opinion.

A young manager is certainly the most appealing aspect of a Courts type. 
Not to labour the point but I always admired the job he did at Dundee Utd (in difficult circumstances).

Davidson is a strange one, he could be good. But he could also be terrible. 

I’d certainly not be adverse to a manager who has had success in other leagues. They are hard to come by at the best of times so if there is an opportunity there then why not.

1 hour ago, Tangled web said:

• 7Hepburn
  • 14Healy
  • 15Tizzard
  • 16Bruce
  • 22Reid
  • 27Jarrett
  • 28McCormick
  • 31Kane
  • 33Mauchin

Regardless of there age, the last few games have shown that a couple are more than capable to play at this level and will go on to have good careers in the game at a much higher level.

Although as fans, we don’t care what age they are……we just want to win games.

17 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

I respect the above is your opinion but I’d prefer QP to stay away from Ian McCall who is a Yogi Hughes type appointment in my opinion.

A young manager is certainly the most appealing aspect of a Courts type. 
Not to labour the point but I always admired the job he did at Dundee Utd (in difficult circumstances).

Davidson is a strange one, he could be good. But he could also be terrible. 

I’d certainly not be adverse to a manager who has had success in other leagues. They are hard to come by at the best of times so if there is an opportunity there then why not.

Mccall is a rung above Yogi imo. The next championship team to give their manager the bullet should 100% be going for him.

2 hours ago, Take Me Home Cathcart Road said:

Should the game not have been out of sight before then, how many chances are we going to create and miss.

We need an out and out goal scorer, it is so easy to blame the defence, tactics etc after a defeat but if you consistently miss chance after chance….you won’t win games

We were battering Raith and should have kept the same players on and kept our foot on their throat. Instead we take off key players, change shape, and in the last five mins end up  looking like pub team that has met for the first time that day.

8 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

We were battering Raith and should have kept the same players on and kept our foot on their throat. Instead we take off key players, change shape, and in the last five mins end up  looking like pub team that has met for the first time that day.

I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. The point that I was trying to make was that if we had taken or chances and with better decision making then the game would have been finished long before the subs came on.

I’m aware my opinion here is going to place me in the minority. But, I do feel that Veldman needs to be allowed to mould and shape this team to his design, and by this I mean, I think he deserves more time. I think he buys into to MB’s QPFC vision, however whilst I believe that to be the case, I feel it’s also likely that he does not accept that this current squad is enough, to compete.

His chopping and changing does appear a bit erratic, but I also feel that his selection is struggling from players blowing hot and cold too often. If Reid was fully fit, I’m confident he’d have started today and his selection would be hugely merited. I know we didn’t win with Reid/Bannon at the back, the past few weeks, but we did, in my opinion, look more comfortable on the ball and showed signs of the tactical plan working (from a build-up/style pov).

I’d like to see what happens in January and see if RV can (is allowed to) strengthen this squad. If not, then it’s likely he’ll go - I accept that. MB’s future also plays a big role in RV’s.

Regarding the integrating of younger players, it’s hard to find the balance in a squad that appears to lack genuine leadership. I have my doubts about Dom’s temperament to captain the side and learning that Charlie is part of the captain group doesn’t inspire me. I felt again today that Bannon plays like the CB who is more experienced, when paired with Fox.

It is true today that the subs on the right hand side of the pitch had an impact on the final result - however, the onus is on the whole team to be smarter when defending a lead. In my opinion we didn’t control the final 10 well at all. A moment where Jack Turner tried to play a super quick, first time throughball springs to mind. As I feel that whilst adding a third goal would have been great, keeping the ball for a bit longer in each passage of play, frustrates the opposition. And ultimately, you can’t concede if you have the ball in your possession.