The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

23 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I can't agree with this whatsoever. While the result against United was fine in isolation, we also had moments under Veldman where we all thought we'd turned a corner and that turned out not to be the case.

Morton away was just about as depressing an attempt at breaking down a team with 10 men as you'll ever see, and the second half against Airdrie may very well have been the worst 45 minutes of football we've played all season.

We need a brand new head coach as soon as possible with totally fresh ideas, who can ideally teach the defence how to stop conceding quite so many horrendous goals and bring in his own players to shore up a squad which is simply not cut out for this level of football.

While Nuijten does deserve credit for trying something different at Firhill, I'm genuinely very surprised that you think he's the right man to take this team which finds itself in a very perilous situation forward and hopefully avoid relegation.

2 hours ago, Southsideforever said:

Will you be looking for a change of manager, if a newly appointed manager does not turn around results after four games?

Buddy he's not brand new in the door. He's literally Robin Veldmans former assistant. It's not 4 fresh games, it's 4 games with a slight rehash of what the story has been all season.

Edited by SensibleSpider
Adding in detail

4 hours ago, Southsideforever said:

Will you be looking for a change of manager, if a newly appointed manager does not turn around results after four games?

No, but I feel fairly confident in saying that a better manager would've taken more than 1 point from these 4 games. Nuijten already sounds utterly defeated in his interviews so there's no chance he's inspiring the players and filling them with confidence either. On top of that he has no experience with recruitment, something we cannot afford to get wrong this month.

11 hours ago, Southsideforever said:

I don't agree with the clamour to appoint a new manager. Nuijten, for me has improved the team overall in a short period of time and has been able to put in changes to strategy. Appointing another manager who may have done all right somewhere and badly at other clubs is not necessarily a recipe for success. We certainly need some new players in, particularly up front to support or replace Paton when needed. If this happens, we can start picking up points and remain in the league. We would then have a squad of very young experienced players, which would be very positive for the future.

Are you satisfied with our defence? No mention that they cannot defend crosses, set pieces, and corners. I respect that you think the sun shines from Paton's arse but surely the first priority by a mile is to bolster the defence? Your satisfaction with Nuijten is baffling.

37 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

Word swirling around Firhill that one of the catalysts behind Brian Grahams further contract extension/improvement was that QP offered him the job. 

I think that’s unlikely.

The timing of his extension announcement would mean we had sufficient efficiency and clarity of thought to be making an offer to someone pre Christmas.

At that stage we were probably still debating the catering order for the next scheduled committee meeting.

11 hours ago, Southsideforever said:

I don't agree with the clamour to appoint a new manager. Nuijten, for me has improved the team overall in a short period of time and has been able to put in changes to strategy. Appointing another manager who may have done all right somewhere and badly at other clubs is not necessarily a recipe for success. We certainly need some new players in, particularly up front to support or replace Paton when needed. If this happens, we can start picking up points and remain in the league. We would then have a squad of very young experienced players, which would be very positive for the future.

Mmm,

Even if performances on the whole had been better, listening again to Dom Thomas’ post match interview after Airdrie he was openly critical of the tactics of holding on at 1-0; that’s not down to the players, that’s down to the manager.  If the Captain is openly criticising him already then he’s a busted flush already.  

I wasn’t at the Thistle game so open to correction but we’re falling into the trap we did last year of continuing with a plan that’s stopped working, (last year 4-2-3-1, this year 4-3-3) but altering it by shifting personnel about the place.  Paton needs someone with him and we need to be far quicker and more direct as we give teams far too much time to reset into banks of 4 as currently we’re just not good or fast enough to pick through defences using short passing.  

Given what he did at Dundee and the fact he made changes when things weren’t going to plan, I was buoyed (gettit?) when Gary Bowyer’s name was mentioned; alas that seems to have gone extremely quiet lately.

40 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Are you satisfied with our defence? No mention that they cannot defend crosses, set pieces, and corners. I respect that you think the sun shines from Paton's arse but surely the first priority by a mile is to bolster the defence? Your satisfaction with Nuijten is baffling.

I have said in other posts that we need to work on defending corners, Nuijten has also made this comment, as did Bannon. Whoever, is manager and the players need to make big improvements here and on crosses generally. Paton's goal scoring record when the team has been struggling is impressive. However, I have also posted that we need other options up front to work with and replace Paton when required. A striker who brings something else, maybe with greater pace or aerial threat, to add to out attacking options.

The overall strategy has not gone to plan, but there are positives. I just don't want us to throw out the baby with the bath water! Ferrie again makes great saves, Mckenna has an amazing career in front of him, Bannon does not look out of place, Thomson has been great at times in defence and midfield, Spong is very talented and Paton has shown that he can score at this level. I don't think we are too far away from turning it around with some additions to the squad with experience. Ripping it all up and starting again does not mean success will follow.

1 minute ago, Southsideforever said:

I have said in other posts that we need to work on defending corners, Nuijten has also made this comment, as did Bannon. Whoever, is manager and the players need to make big improvements here and on crosses generally. Paton's goal scoring record when the team has been struggling is impressive. However, I have also posted that we need other options up front to work with and replace Paton when required. A striker who brings something else, maybe with greater pace or aerial threat, to add to out attacking options.

The overall strategy has not gone to plan, but there are positives. I just don't want us to throw out the baby with the bath water! Ferrie again makes great saves, Mckenna has an amazing career in front of him, Bannon does not look out of place, Thomson has been great at times in defence and midfield, Spong is very talented and Paton has shown that he can score at this level. I don't think we are too far away from turning it around with some additions to the squad with experience. Ripping it all up and starting again does not mean success will follow.

Agree in that I don’t think the vast majority of the players aren’t up to it, but we do lack leadership on the pitch, (arguably have done since Murray departed) and we lack at least one experienced CB.  So if the players are generally ok, (with one or two additions) then it’s the coaching, tactics or resistance to change that’s the issue then surely Nuijten is dammed by association at the very least?

6 minutes ago, lavvyheid said:

Sprong and Paton both picked up bookings yesterday  surely both must be due a suspension .

Wonder who plays up front if Paton is out.

Paton and Turner are both a yellow away from a one game suspension. Spong has surprisingly only been booked three times in the league.

Hopefully by the time Paton does get suspended we'll have another striker in, but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath...

21 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

I do genuinely feel sorry for the players. 

They are having to bear the brunt of of the pent up frustration felt by supporters at the inadequates that have made the decisions these past three seasons.

This completely. 

I’m incredulous that some of our number think we’ll get a good coach. The only thing that will attract a half-decent coach will be a bloated package and lock-tight exit terms. I can only assume some of the younger supporters, say under 40, aren’t aware of the history of scandals that surround our new stakeholder, for that’s what he’s now being termed as by the club, during his rise to power. Scotland’s oldest and finest club is toxic. Will those fans shouting and swearing at Tommy Robson at Greenock appear at the upcoming AGM and give that level of abuse to the people who actually deserve it?

2 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

Mmm,

Even if performances on the whole had been better, listening again to Dom Thomas’ post match interview after Airdrie he was openly critical of the tactics of holding on at 1-0; that’s not down to the players, that’s down to the manager.  If the Captain is openly criticising him already then he’s a busted flush already.  

I wasn’t at the Thistle game so open to correction but we’re falling into the trap we did last year of continuing with a plan that’s stopped working, (last year 4-2-3-1, this year 4-3-3) but altering it by shifting personnel about the place.  Paton needs someone with him and we need to be far quicker and more direct as we give teams far too much time to reset into banks of 4 as currently we’re just not good or fast enough to pick through defences using short passing.  

Given what he did at Dundee and the fact he made changes when things weren’t going to plan, I was buoyed (gettit?) when Gary Bowyer’s name was mentioned; alas that seems to have gone extremely quiet lately.

Looked like 3 5 2 to me.