The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

The ability to pay players to play for us and to not watch players we develop or give a start in the game, moving on elsewhere for free is beneficial and probably saved us from Lowland league football - that concept and the transfer to professionalism (in some form) shouldn’t have to be reliant imho, on Haughey’s cash.

However the flaws were exposed recently, the Dutch plan of youth identification, development and sale-on had a purity of purpose that I was, rightly or wrongly, fully on board with and given that you could overlook some of the less salubrious elements of how the club was run.

We are eternal optimists, sometimes to a fault but it’s becoming harder and harder to turn a blind eye to what this most historic club has become. A secretive, closed-shop committee, directed by and/or indebted to a single benefactor acting seemingly without reference to the support and now with allegations of nepotism to positions of significant influence makes you wonder whether it’s all really worth it for the spectacle of Championship football, (because that really is the best w can hope for), in an empty, soul-less rented stadium.

Penny for the thoughts of Calum Davidson right now; I’d be surprised if he’s still here beyond February.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, RichRJohnstone said:

This really is extraordinary. When I first saw this, the optimist part of my head recalled that there have been a lot of interesting examples of agents moving into team management positions in recent years, particularly in the NBA. 

But when you hear that he's actually a relative of the benefactor, you realise quickly that this is not that. There's no way he could have been the best candidate for this job based on a proper process, and I really feel close to giving up. 

My problem is, for a club supposedly run by its members (and I know not all fans are members, as I am not), we actually know less about how our club works than those who are straightforwardly owned by a local fridge magnate or even an oligarch. At least then there isn't the veneer of democracy, or the idea that the fans are integral to the process.

But we just get stuff like this and are supposed to lump it. And of course the stadium is this multiplied by 1,000 

I also feel, increasingly, the move to go pro was promoted under false pretenses. Again, I am not a member but as I recall there was chat of an part-time model, but then the Haughey money came in and we went full time.

Is it too cynical that a public inquiry (not that I'm proposing another one of those!) would find that Haughey was a least a presence before the vote to go pro? I just look at how the power has clearly seeped in one direction and that the supposed custodians of the club were happy for it to happen. Otherwise we'd have clarity about the quantity and duration of his support, not just the (welcome) posts on here of social club gossip.

This club means a lot to me. My dad played for us (once, as I probably mention too often) and that first Championship season was astonishing. It turned my son, London born and bred, into a QP fan who could identify a Grant Savory pass or Dom Thomas run in a video, gifts I never thought I'd get.

But I feel it has all been, if not fake, then a mirage, like a lucid dream of a kitchen renovation - the vision is difficult to achieve, but obtainable if only people in charge were sincere in giving it a try. But they weren't.

And I know the answer is to become a member and help those - on here and elsewhere - actually try and change things, and I sincerely hope to get there one day. But tonight I"m just furious. How dare they.

This appointment is certainly a bit eyebrow-raising, to say the least.  For my part, I'll see how he gets on with signings this Summer. If the lad brings in a bit of quality to the positions that need it (e.g. right back) then fair play to him. 

Coincidently I was at a business event recently that Lord H spoke at. He was good value and without wanting to breach any confidence there was one little nugget that came out, which is the premium he seems to place on hiring people he feels he can trust.  Given that, I wonder if this appointment stems from that approach and is a reaction to the Beuker era where a "stranger" was given the job and we know how that worked out.  I offer the above not as justification for the appointment but just as a bit of colour. And before you ask QP wasn't mentioned once in his remarks but Celtic was quite a few times...   

Edited by Stuntiethumper

12 hours ago, Charliechurch said:

A lot of sanctimonious whinging about sterling traditions and corinthian spirits but, if it wasn't for his Lordship Haughey's generous investment in the South Glasgow Gretna, Annie and his pals would be planning the usual trips to sunny Coatbridge and Berwick next season. He who pays the piper calls the tune in the professional game.

QP did have a significant asset to assist with the transition to professional status so to imply they’ve been solely reliant on one benefactor is not strictly true, though I will agree that subsequently we seem to be beholden to that individual and most QP supporters understand this; I think the angst stems from [initially] the mis-management of how the proceeds of that asset have been squandered and now the apparent nepotism in play.  If you play with fire etc etc….

29 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

which is the premium he seems to place on hiring people he feels he can trust.

That’s all fine.  I trust my wife, but I’m not likely to sit her in the right hand seat of a commercial jet because I know, much as I love her, that she ain’t qualified to be there, (stretching the point I know).  

Callum Davidson’s no mug. I find it highly unlikely he’d be in the job, and not be the one calling the shots on signings. 

it remains to be seen whether I’m being overly optimistic, but perhaps the good lord’s lackey will be in more an advisory role, or based on scouting reports.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

Penny for the thoughts of Calum Davidson right now

18 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Callum Davidson’s no mug. I find it highly unlikely he’d be in the job, and not be the one calling the shots on signings. 

Absolutely. Clearly I don't know but would expect the DoF position and their respective roles would have been part of his contract negotiations. 

Edited by mcjameos

Anyone clock the part of the home and away kits article on the club website which stated the new away kit would have a “nod to the club’s history”. 

If I had to put money on it, it’s most likely going to be something like a navy blue training shirt, or ‘1867’ on the back of the collar, will truly be surprised if we get something half decent.

2 minutes ago, CAL FERRIE IN GOALS said:

Anyone clock the part of the home and away kits article on the club website which stated the new away kit would have a “nod to the club’s history”. 

If I had to put money on it, it’s most likely going to be something like a navy blue training shirt, or ‘1867’ on the back of the collar, will truly be surprised if we get something half decent.

The rumour is it is half decent but the only nod to our history is the fact it’s navy blue.

Could be totally jumping to conclusions here but I do wonder if the appointment of the new DoF means we could be likely to take Mackenzie carse on a permanent deal given his celtic contract ends this summer.

Wouldn’t have any arguments from me on that tbh. Although I do wonder if any compensation that Celtic would be due could scupper it.

3 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

Could be totally jumping to conclusions here but I do wonder if the appointment of the new DoF means we could be likely to take Mackenzie carse on a permanent deal given his celtic contract ends this summer.

Wouldn’t have any arguments from me on that tbh. Although I do wonder if any compensation that Celtic would be due could scupper it.

If his contract ends, why would compensation be due? I am not to keen on him anyway.

1 minute ago, williebraveheart said:

If his contract ends, why would compensation be due? I am not to keen on him anyway.

Are they not only due compensation if they offer him a new contract & he knocks it back?

Mackenzie Carse offered nothing to suggest he should be signed on a permanent basis, in fact he was only with us because of who his agent happened to be…………..so yeah I wouldn’t be surprised now

44 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

Are they not only due compensation if they offer him a new contract & he knocks it back?

I thought it was automatic for all players under 24.

I could be wrong though.

5 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

I thought it was automatic for all players under 24.

I could be wrong though.

Only if the club offered him a deal that was at least in line with the deal they were previously on I.e same or increased wage. 

If Celtic let him go without offering anything then he’d cost nothing to sign.

There is also the possibility that the "DoF" job title is a bit misleading...
Could it be that our new man is just someone that Haughey knows is good at corporate schmoozing and exists at the club to *make Davidson's signings a reality*?

If he's an agent to trade then it would suggest to me that it's that sort of stuff he's good at, so maybe he's being brought in to be the attractive (no offence to Davidson, of course) face of the club for players/other clubs?

I'm trying to be the optimist here, probably wrong though

I can't believe for one moment that our new DoF will be recruiting players that Davidson hasn't asked for in the first place; players that are being foisted upon him. He's the guy that'll be judged on what happens on the park and has to be the man who picks his squad. Anything else is a recipe for disaster.

A different job title from Beuker's, and an idea of what the new guy is responsible for, would perhaps dampen down the fears we have.