The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

They're already in the reserve league/cup.

Unfortunately we barely have enough centre-halves for ourselves!

Ah right. Wasn't sure when I saw the words B and Team if you were taking Rangers place in the Lowland League. Which could've been a giggle to be fair.

Some Old Firm bore: "We want colt teams in the league."

*QP enter*

Some Old Firm bore: "NOT THOSE COLTS TEAMS!"

That's a pest. If that situation changes then just give your old pals from the glory days of Scottish football a shout and we'll happily accommodate any offcuts.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Steady now. Let’s not be disrespecting our national drink. 

There’s only one national drink which was for many a year resplendent on the front of our kits!

2 hours ago, Adam Rendall said:

Don’t know how to feel going into this season. 

what is everyone’s expectations ? 

stay up? play offs? etc 

As things stand, eighth,, purely given the significant back-room changes, (which may take a little time to settle/get their messages/philosophy across) and the lack of any squad depth..  That outlook may change upon any further signings along with how well Grant Savoury’s return goes.

I’m still not completely convinced with Davidson, heresy I know given where we were in May vs January - he shored up the defence but other than games vs Arbroath, we were pretty impotent up front most of the time.  I’m hoping new signings and coaching changes that.

Most of all this year I want Charlie Fox to be Charlie Fox again, I want Grant Savoury to be back on the hype-train and Paton to look a little more like he’s enjoying it.  

Oh and Morton, I wanna beat Morton away.  It’s well overdue

46 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

A home or away win over Morton would do me.

Will struggle big time

Need several decent signings just to compete bottom half

Don't seem to be serious about a decent challenge

Right now we are far away from where we need to be to have a successful, or even comfortable season.

I’m less concerned at what Thistle and Raith have done (we were never going to finish above them next season anyway) but the good early business done by Morton and Airdrie so far shows what can be done.

The club President’s exact words at the recent supporters meeting were that “Calum Davidson identifies the players he wants to sign and Darren O’Donnell signs them”. Part of a wider defence he was making of the newly appointed Director of Football.

Edited by Spider Rico

1 minute ago, Spider Rico said:

Right now we are far away from where we need to be to have a successful, or even comfortable season.

I’m less concerned at what Thistle and Raith have done (we were never going to finish above them next season anyway) but the good early business done by Morton and Airdrie so far shows what can be done.

The club President’s exact words at the recent supporters meeting were that “Calum Davidson identifies the players he wants to sign and Darren O’Donnell signs them”………………….

Hope W H  keeps coughing up

11 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

The club President’s exact words at the recent supporters meeting were that “Calum Davidson identifies the players he wants to sign and Darren O’Donnell signs them”. Part of a wider defence he was making of the newly appointed Director of Football.

I was willing to give the new club president some leeway, his promises seemed worth listening to and believing. However, things have not changed (was it possible to get even more secretive?).  I expected so much more and hoped the summer break would allow the club to have an effective 'reset' after our crazy continental experiment.  I do live in hope that the bright new dawn is coming.

I had hoped and expected Davidson to have identified his targets before the last season finished. What our DoF is doing goodness only knows. I assumed this coming season to be the one where we kicked on and showed that we were serious about the Championship. That has not yet happened. Whilst I would not question the word of such an honourable person as our President I do wonder if he knows what is going on. Who is pulling the strings? Is Davidson being constrained? Do we still think that a bunch of boys can pull us through a Championship season? Why have such numbers of our backroom staff left when not so long ago they were excited to be joining a progressive club with a setup and ambition second to none? If nothing changes soon we are in danger of being the coming season's Arbroath.

6 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I had hoped and expected Davidson to have identified his targets before the last season finished. What our DoF is doing goodness only knows. I assumed this coming season to be the one where we kicked on and showed that we were serious about the Championship. That has not yet happened. Whilst I would not question the word of such an honourable person as our President I do wonder if he knows what is going on. Who is pulling the strings? Is Davidson being constrained? Do we still think that a bunch of boys can pull us through a Championship season? Why have such numbers of our backroom staff left when not so long ago they were excited to be joining a progressive club with a setup and ambition second to none? If nothing changes soon we are in danger of being the coming season's Arbroath.

Ditto Ditto

I’m trying not to get too jittery on the signings yet. If we’ve not added at least three by Peterhead, the uncomfortable shuffling might start. Total cliche stuff, but it’s better to get the right guys in than just filling places. Expect most teams in the league will be working right up until August 31, but you’d hope that’d be the finishing touches with loans etc. 

6 minutes ago, an86 said:

I’m trying not to get too jittery on the signings yet. If we’ve not added at least three by Peterhead, the uncomfortable shuffling might start. Total cliche stuff, but it’s better to get the right guys in than just filling places. Expect most teams in the league will be working right up until August 31, but you’d hope that’d be the finishing touches with loans etc. 

I have being trying just like you but have failed miserably. You have my faith.......for now.

6 hours ago, Adam Rendall said:

Don’t know how to feel going into this season. 

what is everyone’s expectations ? 

stay up? play offs? etc 

Bannon & Sheridan going weakens the first team.
Savoury back & Charlie fox (hopefully) back to his best strengthen the first team.

Bruce & Robson leaving weaken the squad.

McKinstry staying or going? No idea really  - presumably Davidson sees something there.

The jury is out on the extent to which Reid, Connolly and McLeish can play a significant role.

The basics are there for a team that can at least achieve safety with a reasonable degree of comfort but we definitely need a few signings to flesh out the squad  -if a couple of them are starting XI quality then we could be looking at top half.

the next few weeks are crucial.

It's a funny one because add in a Mal Boateng, and a couple of good defenders and you're probably looking at one of the best teams in the league, and yet I struggle to be optimistic about the coming year. My honest hope is that we can push for 4th. I don't think we're beating thistle, Raith, or livi, but otherwise the league is full of diddies (ourselves included). I don't think we need to fear last place, because I think Hamilton will be awful, but I could very easily be wrong on that. I'm interested to see how the la masia of the southside develops over the course of this year... Two big money sales in the last 6 months and more stars of the future incoming it would seem. Maybe this year we'll see tyreece McDonnell boy come into the first team, as it looks like he's been great for the b team, but of course he'd be third fiddle to Paton and McLeish. Coaching staff has been completely overhauled seemingly, which is worrying to say the least. Why did just about everyone possible leave in the space of a month? I suspect we'll never really know the story there. Hopefully though their replacements are adequate, and can get Davidsonball into the players' heads (although I still don't like the style).

Going to be a weird season, as ever, I think

9 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I had hoped and expected Davidson to have identified his targets before the last season finished. 

We only ever made 1 signing in June under him, FWIW, and that was on the last day, a loanee from his best friend who was in charge of Millwall.

Averaged 3 in July, before a panic splurge in August. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

To be honest I’m less concerned about the coaching staff departures than I am the recruitment side of things.

Paul Nuijten going back to the Netherlands was not really a surprise especially since he got himself a job at Ajax.

Liam Craig got offered the same job that he had been doing for us but at a bigger club and presumably more money.

With Tam O Ware I get the impression he wanted to stay involved with the first team rather than going back to the B Team

And we seem to have secured good replacements  for all three pretty quickly.

Now that I think of it though, have we replaced Glen Johnson as goalie coach yet? 

8 hours ago, starshot131 said:

Coaching staff has been completely overhauled seemingly, which is worrying to say the least. Why did just about everyone possible leave in the space of a month? I suspect we'll never really know the story there.

Most of them got offered better/more suitable jobs, to be fair.

Liam Craig is away to Hibs, Paul Nuijten got a role at Ajax, and Glen Johnson's family has been down south the whole time he's been with us.

I don't think there's anything particularly strange about any of them moving on!