The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

I think that we are about to be shafted. When we were at Firhill it proved that two teams cannot share a pitch in our climate without causing damage to the surface. If Rangers and the SFA come to an agreement we will be moved on. While we will surely receive compensation we will have to share an artificial park with someone. Who is available Airdrie or Livingstone I ask. I hope that I will be proved wrong but I doubt it.

I'm not really advocating this but...... what about Scotstoun? 

Artificial pitch. 

Permanent capacity of about 4500, topped up to 7500 during the season.

Owned by Glasgow Life. 

7 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

I think that we are about to be shafted. When we were at Firhill it proved that two teams cannot share a pitch in our climate without causing damage to the surface. If Rangers and the SFA come to an agreement we will be moved on. While we will surely receive compensation we will have to share an artificial park with someone. Who is available Airdrie or Livingstone I ask. I hope that I will be proved wrong but I doubt it.

Doubt Airdrie is an option, if Wikipedia is to believed (stopped watches are right twice a day) they already have Airdrie, Celtic B, Celtic Women and Glasgow Uni playing there. What’s the current capacity of Lesser Hampden? Livingston wouldn’t be much better than Stenhousemuir for your fans. Whole thing is an absolute cluster by Rangers. 

2 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Doubt Airdrie is an option, if Wikipedia is to believed (stopped watches are right twice a day) they already have Airdrie, Celtic B, Celtic Women and Glasgow Uni playing there. What’s the current capacity of Lesser Hampden? Livingston wouldn’t be much better than Stenhousemuir for your fans. Whole thing is an absolute cluster by Rangers. 

You are so right, and I forgot to mention that Scotland are playing at Hampden in September, October and November.

17 minutes ago, GloriousHoops said:

I'm not really advocating this but...... what about Scotstoun? 

Artificial pitch. 

Permanent capacity of about 4500, topped up to 7500 during the season.

Owned by Glasgow Life. 

Glasgow Warriors (rugby) play their home matches at Scotstoun - it's not a brilliant stadium either but might do for a short spell if we could come to some arrangement. 

Just now, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Glasgow Warriors (rugby) play their home matches at Scotstoun - it's not a brilliant stadium either but might do for a short spell if we could come to some arrangement. 

Yes, that's right, I'm a regular at Warriors home games, hence my suggestion.

It's not a proper football stadium like Tynecastle, for example. 

There's a running track, but we're miles away from the pitch at Hampden, so that can't be a legitimate complaint.

Objectively I think it would be theoretically okay for QP.

Many Warriors games are Friday nights. 

4 minutes ago, GloriousHoops said:

Yes, that's right, I'm a regular at Warriors home games, hence my suggestion.

It's not a proper football stadium like Tynecastle, for example. 

There's a running track, but we're miles away from the pitch at Hampden, so that can't be a legitimate complaint.

Objectively I think it would be theoretically okay for QP.

Many Warriors games are Friday nights. 

Good news if Warriors are going back to Friday evening games.

There’s no reason why we should be moving anywhere without eye watering recompense. The agreement is there. The only way that changes is if we roll over, which I’m in no way ruling out. 

2 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

Had a look through the QP and Rangers league fixture lists and came up with the following clashes:

October 5th   QP v Hamilton; Rangers v St Johnstone

October 26th QP v Partick Th; Rangers v St Mirren

November 9th  QP v Dunfermline; Rangers v Hearts

November 23rd  QP v Falkirk; Rangers v Dundee Utd

December 21st  QP v Raith Rovers; Rangers v Dundee

Remarkably there are no other clashes after December. I know that Rangers are expecting to be back in Ibrox well before Christmas but we QP fans are old hands as far as botched stadium projects are concerned and we know how promised dates of completion can slip and slip and slip and .... come to think of it we're still waiting.

The Europa League group stage fixtures could mean that some of those aren’t direct clashes. This is reliant on the assumption that Rangers won’t win their CL qualifier and will drop into the EL instead. But assuming this does happen, and taking into consideration your list above, there are EL matchdays on the following dates:
3rd October
24th October
7th November

which would mean that Rangers wouldn’t be playing on the Saturday where QP are due to face Accies, Thistle or Dunfermline anyway.

Edited by Nightmare

I know you’re trying to grow, but what would it cost to whack up a couple of steps of temporary terrace or seating behind both goals at Lesser - like what Cove did. That would give you 2k seats - which would at least be enough to satisfy your own fans at the right location, would just mean that you couldn’t milk big away supports. 

Appreciate you shouldn’t have to as Rangers f**k up isn’t your issue, but would surely be a better environment to play in / grow a fan base than being continually dependent on the good grace of the SFA. 

53 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

I know you’re trying to grow, but what would it cost to whack up a couple of steps of temporary terrace or seating behind both goals at Lesser - like what Cove did. That would give you 2k seats - which would at least be enough to satisfy your own fans at the right location, would just mean that you couldn’t milk big away supports. 

Appreciate you shouldn’t have to as Rangers f**k up isn’t your issue, but would surely be a better environment to play in / grow a fan base than being continually dependent on the good grace of the SFA. 

that’s what the majority of Qp fans want, something behind each goal standing/seated stand. 

No word from the club on what the plan is with lesser. 

left in the dark yet again…

13 hours ago, Dooflick said:

I think there used to be a rule that you couldn't ground share in the same division, not sure if that's still the case.  As has been said above, you'd probably struggle to fit fixtures in at Airdrie anyway with the number of teams who play there already.

How many games did you end up playing at Lesser last season, is it genuinely not an option for you (or Sevco arf arf) to use that?  I admit I've lost track of what is or isn't being done with Lesser. 

As already discussed on here. Access points to temporary stands would be an issue, in addition to catering. The club has shafted itself with its ineptitude and poor planning. Test events would also need to happen which would be very tight for timing.

I know it’s all about scale, but the example of Wrexham comes to mind. I’m sure they put in a temporary stand that expanded capacity by aprox. 1,000 for the season- but it was going to cost more money than they’d actually make from doing it. 

if only there wasn’t a ridiculously sized shoebox which the higher-ups have built.

14 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

How many games did you end up playing at Lesser last season, is it genuinely not an option for you (or Sevco arf arf) to use that?  I admit I've lost track of what is or isn't being done with Lesser. 

Three, which is what's meant to be happening this year as well, two in the League Cup then the first league game as well.

We definitely can use Lesser, there's nothing actually stopping us, it's just absolutely tiny. Holds 900 odd, which would significantly limit both home and away fans being able to attend.

People can complain about Rangers or the SFA as much as they want but if we end up getting screwed over here the only people to blame are the decision makers at our own club. It was entirely predictable that not having an actual long term plan for where we'll be playing would cause issues eventually.

1 hour ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

They shouldn't be reliant on playing x amount of games at Hampden every year.  They have sold it and built a new ground.  That is where they should play, if doesn't have an adequate capacity for where they want to go that is the owners (boards) fault.  I do feel for the fans, but it's the clubs problem.

2 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

They shouldn't be reliant on playing x amount of games at Hampden every year.  They have sold it and built a new ground.  That is where they should play, if doesn't have an adequate capacity for where they want to go that is the owners (boards) fault.  I do feel for the fans, but it's the clubs problem.

I obviously totally agree that the club has made an arse of the new stadium, but there's absolutely no reason we have to play there like you seem to be suggesting. Not owning Hampden anymore isn't the issue (there are at least 3 other Championship clubs off the top of my head who don't own their ground), the lack of a long term plan either way is though.

11 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I obviously totally agree that the club has made an arse of the new stadium, but there's absolutely no reason we have to play there like you seem to be suggesting. Not owning Hampden anymore isn't the issue (there are at least 3 other Championship clubs off the top of my head who don't own their ground), the lack of a long term plan either way is though.

I get that.  However owning and building a stadium to then not use it is wild.  Like you say the long term planning has been the biggest issue.  Going from Falkirk to Thistle to Stenny and then Hampden while the ground is being built to then having to play at Hampden must be frustrating for fans.

18 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I get that.  However owning and building a stadium to then not use it is wild.  Like you say the long term planning has been the biggest issue.  Going from Falkirk to Thistle to Stenny and then Hampden while the ground is being built to then having to play at Hampden must be frustrating for fans.

However perplexed everyone is looking from the outside, I can honestly say it’s minuscule in comparison to the rage/frustration QP fans feel. It actually pisses me off every time I walk past it, which is often. A monument to incompetence and missed opportunity. 

57 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

For me the most frustrating thing is that apart from the support there seems little or no appetite to do anything about it.

We seem to be sleepwalking down the road to the inevitable day when the “goodwill” of either our benefactor or the SFA runs out and we are left staring down the abyss with a stadium unfit for purpose and no cash to rectify it.

Might be misremembering but at the AGM, I’m pretty sure the SFA negotiations were still ongoing and the chat was were shooting for Hampden, but temp stands at Lesser is the contingency... surely that plan can be dusted off here?