The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Well, one thing to say. 

Let’s hope that’s a sobering wake-up call for Davidson & the Committee as to the current state of the squad & the need for strengthening. 

Rudden & Kerr I think are both great signings, but we need more to follow. As mentioned before, we’ve recieved massive injections from the Bannon & Paton fees, if we’re not investing it into the squad or stadium- what’s the point? Looking on the bench, there’s at least 3/4 players short of having ‘quality’ options, which we know is a must given how well throwing the young lads on went last year. 

And with that, let us never speak of this again. Glorified pre-season friendlies etc. etc. 

45 minutes ago, CathkinParkLoyal said:

Just wanted to give a brief introduction because I’m about to make a bit of a wild claim and I don’t want anyone here believing I’m disingenuous. I’ve been a Queen’s fan proper for a couple of years now, I’ve always lived local and would drop in and out attending the odd game. Never really committed because I found the atmosphere at Hampden to be shite, just wasn’t enjoyable going week in week out, so when they turned professional with the understanding, they’d develop Lesser I got fully on board and it’s been my team since.

I’m not much of a poster, I’ve been reading the comments on here for a while now to keep myself updated but I literally only made this account to bring up this topic. I know I’m going to sound like a mad conspiracy theorist but I truly believe the reason why the development of Lesser has stalled and we have had no update on how they plan to fix it going forward is because the long-term aim is to take over and move into Cathkin Park.

I’ll try to be as informative as possible but truthfully, a lot of the investigative and legislative stuff goes over my head, so while I can pass on just random tid bits, I’d be unable to break it down properly. If anyone is looking for proper details though I’d recommend they get in touch with friends of Cathkin/Pollock Park who have a lot of opinions and proper details I don’t. That also being said I am trying to get a better understanding of the situation so have been trying to set up a conversation with someone who knows better than me and can talk me right through it. If anyone has questions, I’ll gladly pass it on, or even try and get someone better informed to post here.

I live right on Cathkin Park, and for those unaware there is currently legal action being taken regarding it, with the court hearing set to take place on Thursday. Essentially a children’s football team the Jimmy Johnston football academy tried to purchase the park from the council but where denied. They then applied for a lease from the council for the park, which despite the local communities’ objections was granted. They have since also applied for permission to erect a fence around the pitch, which again despite being in contrast to locals wishes was granted. The contract JJA has with the council also includes that if the park is ever to be sold it can only be sold to them.

They have already put up a temporary fence around the pitch which goes against their agreement. All of this is shite as locals like me use the park constantly, I play football with my little brother there every summer, and have met umpteen people visiting the park purely for it’s history. Cutting us off from the only free pitch in the area, so as a team from outside Glasgow can use it a couple of times a week is a joke.

The reason why I suspect Queen’s might end up involved is because I was recently made aware that Willie Haughey has given £500,000 for the JJA to transform the current facilities that includes the pitch and changing rooms to a grade A level. He’s also attempting to purchase two football size pitches of land in Pollok park, how far along that is I’m unaware. I think the long-term aim is to normalise the pitch/park being public through the JJA with great facilities established. Move them on to Pollok Park eventually and we move in. There will be bits I’ve not covered properly, and I also might be close but not quite right so if yous have any questions please ask or chase it up for yourselves. I know there’s one twitter user far better informed on the topic than me who’s been speaking about it for a while https://x.com/gedboy58/status/1797862454954999930?t=8W6dFVJztH-XHFz5o8_Wlg&s=08.. I know it sounds like a lot of shite, but it just starts to add up I know he's a Celtic fan and we might just be too skint to fix lesser, but we also have a history there all be it brief, we take promo pictures there and we had that training session there which I never understood.

If you’ve read all this I really appreciate it and would be curious to know if you’d support the move, or like me you’d rather we kept parks public and fixed the mess at lesser. If you want to support the case you can here https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/save-cathkin-park/.

Some interesting context in there thanks. 

Hard to known what the long term plan is (if there even is one) but I’d be wary of relying on anything from the twitter account you have linked. Whilst he has done a lot of excellent work over the years, he’s been a seething mess about all things Queen’s Park ever since the (correct despite what it was replaced with ) decision to demolish the old farmhouse 

12 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

What an absolutely stinking performance and result tonight.

Big issues in defence to be resolved before the league starts 

That's the worst performance I've seen from a Queen's team in ages - no heart, no fight, just dreadful.  Hinds and Welsh made a slight difference when they came on and Turners goals was pretty good but too little too late. We need to strengthen our team.

Edited by Grumpy Soo-sider
spelling

Don’t mind getting battered by the better team from league above but the entire approach to the game was appalling 

Not one player took more than 2 touches on the ball without launching the ball into orbit 

Lewis Reid- tried but not good enough

Hinds showed promise, only player to show some courage to run at players 

Clearly more signings will join but that set up won’t work for us in the league 

9 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Well, 3-5-2 doesn't work.

Good luck. Enjoy being told its "not his system" and "he's flexible so a back four can happen", before seeing it trotted out every week.

7 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I'm sure I posted this at some point last season but it's perfectly possible to build a decent 5,000 capacity ground within the footprint at Lesser.

You'd need to get rid of the ridiculous directors box obviously and probably relocate the changing rooms 

Screenshot2022-12-21at13_37_54.thumb.png.498b428b9a94259176d5cf5936dd6cb5.png

Is this the original plan? Or is it something you designed?

Either way, way better than what we have now.

1 hour ago, CathkinParkLoyal said:

Just wanted to give a brief introduction because I’m about to make a bit of a wild claim and I don’t want anyone here believing I’m disingenuous. I’ve been a Queen’s fan proper for a couple of years now, I’ve always lived local and would drop in and out attending the odd game. Never really committed because I found the atmosphere at Hampden to be shite, just wasn’t enjoyable going week in week out, so when they turned professional with the understanding, they’d develop Lesser I got fully on board and it’s been my team since.

I’m not much of a poster, I’ve been reading the comments on here for a while now to keep myself updated but I literally only made this account to bring up this topic. I know I’m going to sound like a mad conspiracy theorist but I truly believe the reason why the development of Lesser has stalled and we have had no update on how they plan to fix it going forward is because the long-term aim is to take over and move into Cathkin Park.

I’ll try to be as informative as possible but truthfully, a lot of the investigative and legislative stuff goes over my head, so while I can pass on just random tid bits, I’d be unable to break it down properly. If anyone is looking for proper details though I’d recommend they get in touch with friends of Cathkin/Pollock Park who have a lot of opinions and proper details I don’t. That also being said I am trying to get a better understanding of the situation so have been trying to set up a conversation with someone who knows better than me and can talk me right through it. If anyone has questions, I’ll gladly pass it on, or even try and get someone better informed to post here.

I live right on Cathkin Park, and for those unaware there is currently legal action being taken regarding it, with the court hearing set to take place on Thursday. Essentially a children’s football team the Jimmy Johnston football academy tried to purchase the park from the council but where denied. They then applied for a lease from the council for the park, which despite the local communities’ objections was granted. They have since also applied for permission to erect a fence around the pitch, which again despite being in contrast to locals wishes was granted. The contract JJA has with the council also includes that if the park is ever to be sold it can only be sold to them.

They have already put up a temporary fence around the pitch which goes against their agreement. All of this is shite as locals like me use the park constantly, I play football with my little brother there every summer, and have met umpteen people visiting the park purely for it’s history. Cutting us off from the only free pitch in the area, so as a team from outside Glasgow can use it a couple of times a week is a joke.

The reason why I suspect Queen’s might end up involved is because I was recently made aware that Willie Haughey has given £500,000 for the JJA to transform the current facilities that includes the pitch and changing rooms to a grade A level. He’s also attempting to purchase two football size pitches of land in Pollok park, how far along that is I’m unaware. I think the long-term aim is to normalise the pitch/park being public through the JJA with great facilities established. Move them on to Pollok Park eventually and we move in. There will be bits I’ve not covered properly, and I also might be close but not quite right so if yous have any questions please ask or chase it up for yourselves. I know there’s one twitter user far better informed on the topic than me who’s been speaking about it for a while https://x.com/gedboy58/status/1797862454954999930?t=8W6dFVJztH-XHFz5o8_Wlg&s=08.. I know it sounds like a lot of shite, but it just starts to add up I know he's a Celtic fan and we might just be too skint to fix lesser, but we also have a history there all be it brief, we take promo pictures there and we had that training session there which I never understood.

If you’ve read all this I really appreciate it and would be curious to know if you’d support the move, or like me you’d rather we kept parks public and fixed the mess at lesser. If you want to support the case you can here https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/save-cathkin-park/.

Personally i’ve had the thought that ‘moving back’ to Cathkin park could have been an interesting move for QP.

I have to hold my hands up and say i’ve only been following the team since the change to being professional so I can’t say my view would be widely shared.

I do however understand the desire from the local community to keep a football park for local use. I do wonder what your fellow local residents would think if Cathkin was converted into the excellent small stadium that we all hoped Lesser was to become. Would it drive people to come to QP games? 

In regards to WH. I think he (rightly or wrongly) believes in regeneration of the southside and this is possibly one of his many things he’s looking to do in that regard. He seems to me to be nostalgic hence his connection to QP and likely his desired future for Cathkin park.

1 hour ago, CathkinParkLoyal said:

I asked the same question the other day in here and was told it was very difficult to move to Cathkin because it's a public park now...

But for me, that would definitelly be the place to be (selling lesser too to the SFA) and developing it properly.

21 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Well, 3-5-2 doesn't work.

Certainly didn't tonight. Players looked isolated on the ball and couldn't find each other. There seemed to be acres of space for Hibs.  We also seemed very passive off the ball which I am guessing is down to a lack of fitness atm. Hope that changes over the next couple of weeks as fitness improves

I wouldn't be writing us off based on being gubbed by Hibs, any more than I would be getting over excited at us gubbing Peterhead.

I agree there were issues in defence, but, unless I am very much mistaken our 3 centre backs have never started a game together before. Perhaps, we can cut them a bit of slack against a team who appear to be a fair bit better than us.

I do think Davidson needs to decide who his best centre backs are (of those that are fit) and give then a decent run of games playing together. 

I didn't enjoy that at all and feel a bit aggrieved at paying £18 to watch it, but I'm not convinced it's a reflection of how we'll be this season.

Lot of guys clearly not there in terms of fitness, Reid isn't going to start many games for us, and ultimately we can still make it through the group without pushing ourselves too hard tonight (which we didn't, at all).

23 minutes ago, SpiderFromMars said:

I asked the same question the other day in here and was told it was very difficult to move to Cathkin because it's a public park now...

But for me, that would definitelly be the place to be (selling lesser too to the SFA) and developing it properly.

Personally, I would love us to resurrect Cathkin Park.  In  my view it is crucial that we remain reasonably close to our roots and there is so much more potential there than there is at Lesser. 

However I don't live next door to Cathkin Park & I suspect my opinion might be very different if I did and had been used to years of free access to it.

If the locals are prepared to go to court to contest the building of a fence, what would they do if we tried to build a full blown stadium there?

Like it or loathe it, Its Lesser or nothing if we want to stay on the southside.

This is just mu opinion & hey, maybe our the Lord Haughey Almighty has the power to make it happen. Who knows?

8 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

I can’t imagine ‘businessman’ Willie Haughey is just rolling over to please Rangers without QP gaining in some sort of fashion.

Whether its funds for temporary stands at lesser which have been supposedly mooted in Rangers forums in recent weeks or favourable terms for some loon signings this season I can’t see it being a one sided affair where QP don’t gain in the slightest.

I don’t know WH enough to defend him, but he’s far from stupid or weak so I’d imagine there must be some sort of beneficial side.

Ach I can't be arsed with this shitshow any more. Rangers return to Ibrox slipping steadily into the future and is now "October at the earliest." All very predictable and it was predicted on here. As for the Queen's fans and fans of the clubs due to play us at Hampden - we've all been right royally shafted.