The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

44 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Blair Alston released. I wonder….

Last night's performance aside I think our midfield is decent and wouldn't be looking to add to it.  Think we should be looking more for cover CB and up front.

1 hour ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Blair Alston released. I wonder….

Wouldn’t be against it. Experienced head, knows this level. Was pretty decent for thistle in the playoffs last season 

we need as much as we can get tbh 

I'm going to say something that I think might go down badly but imo it's worth thinking about
How many "experienced heads" do we actually need in our side before we just become an average championship side?

As I see it, current experienced heads are as follows:
Danny Wilson
Charlie Fox (who's now 25, not a youngster anymore)
Cammy Kerr
Sean Welsh
Louis Longridge
Dom Thomas

That's enough to cover more than half a starting 11
I'm wary that the attitude of signing old guys as a priority could go a little too far and we could find ourselves with an older squad than we want. I don't know about anyone else here, but for me having a good young squad that plays good football and can be sold on for a decent bit of cash if it comes to it is a more appealing prospect than a team of 30-year-olds who can grind out results more reliably. Coyle's football was the best I've seen from queens, with a very young squad, and I think our biggest asset is our academy, which can produce some of the best players in the country when it's doing well.

Am I advocating we start exclusively youth prospects? No. But I think someone like Zach Mauchin ought to be respected as being the same caliber of player as Cammy Kerr, at least from what I've seen so far, and I think if we have the attitude of "sign experienced heads" we could easily lose out on guys like him as they disappear into the aether of benchwarming, and never develop properly.

Obviously there is a need to keep a core of more experienced players and ideally have one at each position, but I think we're getting to that stage now, and don't need to keep going with it forever.
Experienced forward would be good but unlikely to happen, otherwise we might just about be sorted for oldyins

7 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

The Scottish Sun Sport twitter is reporting that Danny Wilson has agreed a mutual contact termination………

So make that 3 centre halfs we now need

Mutual termination when Fox looks gubbed and Reid clearly isn't good enough (yet) is bizarre. Fell out with the manager maybe? Would be surprised if he didn't end up at another Championship club.

Wilson leaving wouldn’t have me losing any sleep. Guy’s done. The manner of his departure leaves questions and we’re now in distress signal territory in an area of the pitch where we were already woefully short. 

If Udjur is coming in, we‘re still going to need another two in on top of that at centre half with Fox being done long term. At a normal football club, I’d be thinking that this sort of thing would signify imminent arrivals. We are not a normal football club, though. 

13 minutes ago, starshot131 said:

I'm going to say something that I think might go down badly but imo it's worth thinking about
How many "experienced heads" do we actually need in our side before we just become an average championship side?

As I see it, current experienced heads are as follows:
Danny Wilson
Charlie Fox (who's now 25, not a youngster anymore)
Cammy Kerr
Sean Welsh
Louis Longridge
Dom Thomas

That's enough to cover more than half a starting 11
I'm wary that the attitude of signing old guys as a priority could go a little too far and we could find ourselves with an older squad than we want. I don't know about anyone else here, but for me having a good young squad that plays good football and can be sold on for a decent bit of cash if it comes to it is a more appealing prospect than a team of 30-year-olds who can grind out results more reliably. Coyle's football was the best I've seen from queens, with a very young squad, and I think our biggest asset is our academy, which can produce some of the best players in the country when it's doing well.

Am I advocating we start exclusively youth prospects? No. But I think someone like Zach Mauchin ought to be respected as being the same caliber of player as Cammy Kerr, at least from what I've seen so far, and I think if we have the attitude of "sign experienced heads" we could easily lose out on guys like him as they disappear into the aether of benchwarming, and never develop properly.

Obviously there is a need to keep a core of more experienced players and ideally have one at each position, but I think we're getting to that stage now, and don't need to keep going with it forever.
Experienced forward would be good but unlikely to happen, otherwise we might just about be sorted for oldyins

its not going down badly with me at all. I largely agree with you. its worth Adding Ferrie (25) Thomson (24) & Rudden (24) as players who are not particularly young and have plenty of experience.

I don't dispute that we needed more experienced heads last season which we got in January and I am encouraged that we have brought in some younger guys (McGregor & Hinds) this season.  There may be a case for bringing in an "older head" if Wilson is indeed away but I  think the balance we have just now is about right. The average age of the team that started last night was 24.

It does concern me that the young guys who do get a game like Reid & Mauchin seem to be particularly singled out for criticism often unfairly in my  view.

I think we have the balance between youth and  experience about right at the moment and I don't see any particular evidence that Davidson is hell bent on bringing in old guys. I hope I'm right.

24 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

The Scottish Sun Sport twitter is reporting that Danny Wilson has agreed a mutual contact termination………

So make that 3 centre halfs we now need

We shouldn't have to read this first in the Sun.

Wilson leaving isn’t ideal but it doesn’t necessarily change the predicament we’re currently in. We were woefully short in the centre back position before the departure and although that Wilson has had a fine career, did he actually add that much value to the team ? I’d assume he was arguably top 2 or 3 earners at the club but I don’t think he shored up our defensive woes by much if not any. Clearly had no pace and would get caught out fairly often. 

I think a combination of getting the runaround last night and recent injury issues will result in a retirement if I had to guess. 3 centre back an absolute minimum requirement. Any crumb of optimism seems to immediately result in absolute shambles very shortly after 

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Last night's performance aside I think our midfield is decent and wouldn't be looking to add to it.  Think we should be looking more for cover CB and up front.

We could move Cammy Kerr into CB and start Zac at wing back.

Blown away by what a shambles this summer has been across every area of the club. Do actually feel for Davidson here as I can’t imagine he was expecting to lose all of Bannon, Paton and Wilson. 

Big few weeks for our DoF and head of recruitment…

33 minutes ago, QPEast said:

We are sleepwalking into relegation. Call an EGM now, what a shambles.

I am not slow to criticise the club but I think a little perspective would be appropriate.

From the team that ended last season fairly strongly, we have lost Sheridan, Paton, Bannon and Wilson. Other players have gone but these are the important ones in my view.

We have signed McGregor, Rudden, Kerr & Hynds.. Savoury when fit will effectively be a new signing.

Overall, you would probably say the squad is a little weaker but there are over 6 weeks of the transfer window left. Let's not talk of relegation yet.

The injury to Fox coming on the back of Bannon & now Wilson's sudden departure is unfortunate but I have no doubt that despite the club's many many failings, they will be able to count the number if centre backs we have and be actively looking to strengthen in that area. I would imagine that Tizzard, Reid & Thomson with Kerr as back up if necessary should be OK for the games against Elgin & Kelty We have 2 weeks until our first league game .

Let's not panic... yet.

Tizzard does not fill me with anywhere near the amount of confidence he should. I’m aware he’s still relatively young but I just don’t see a defender in there.

Reid is also very raw but he does provide me with a little more confidence in his ability. Interestingly I thought Carrick did not too badly when he came on against Celtic so giving him some game time over the next two ties would be useful to let him experience some mens football.

If the rumour of Wilson is true then i think we’ll come to miss him but need to hope that the DoF, Head of recruitment & Callum Davidson are ready to pull the trigger on another couple of signings.

One thing thats notable is QP don’t pay fees for players. Pretty much all the additions made have been guys who have mutually terminated with their clubs to join us or were already free agents. Surely there must be a couple of quid around to actually make a purchase from time to time.

If Wilson had decided to move on at the end of last season it wouldn't have been a big deal. Job was done and a high earner off the books with time to source a solid replacement. Moving on from him after the season has started combined with the Fox injury has left a gaping hole that needs to be filled quickly however. Throwing Reid and Tizzard in together without some experience next to them just won't cut it in the Championship. 

I am saddened by the news that Danny Wilson is to leave. I felt he brought a stability to our defence and looked confortable on the ball with the ability to 'ping' the ball around the park. With Charlie Fox out (for how long?) this leaves our central defence looking rather delicate. It's time to splash the cash methinks...

13 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

I am saddened by the news that Danny Wilson is to leave. I felt he brought a stability to our defence and looked confortable on the ball with the ability to 'ping' the ball around the park. With Charlie Fox out (for how long?) this leaves our central defence looking rather delicate. It's time to splash the cash methinks...

I agree. 

I thought Wilson was in a totally different class to any CB we have left now or had last season. 

Personally I don't rate Tizzard at all and never have done. He's very ungainly and can't confidently pass further than 10 yards, and preferably square.

Reid was awful last night, he's played better in other games but he's not yet a first choice CB for a top half Championship team.

Tizzard for me can do a very specific job which is stay at the back and act as a spare man for stuff. He's an extra guy in the box for corners and free kicks, he's somebody to pass to if you're under pressure, he's an option

The issue is that I could do that job about as well as he does if I was 5 inches taller
He's fine for having on the bench but he shouldn't be near the starting 11

By the way I'm claiming credit for Bannon's appearances ahead of him last season
At the meet the players night I asked about Bannon, Dom spoke to me at the end and said it was a very good question, then I think the next game he got a start

And as for Reid, he's fine. More my type of player than Tizzard, seems to have a bit more footballing ability, but he seems very slow at times. imo should be played ahead of Tizzard but neither is fit to start at this level yet