The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

decent game, at least 2 centre halfs needed.

midfield was good. big fan of the turner, welsh, macgregor trio, (if we sign a centre half and thomson can step up will be bliss).

attack was fun, adding savoury to that so we have thomas, hinds macgregor, savoury, mcleish, rudden will be good, maybe need one more striker to solidify.

kerr looked solid. can't look in to it too much, but we're an udjur, a striker, and savoury being fit away from being competent.

#soundcorporategovernance

As everyone else has said, MacGregor looking like everything that McKinstry wasn't last season.  

Mauchin, really impressed when he came on - now admittedly Elgin weren't great going forward but he looks, pacey, really good first touch and looked at every opportunity to progress forward.  Josh Scott deserved that goal too and linked really well on the left with Welsh & Kerr.  In fact personally, of the three positives from the Hibs game, I thought Scott and Mauchin were two, (the other being how not quite so bad the kit was). 

Also note last night that Tommy Robson came back to haunt Thistle again!

Edited by Spider1975

16 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The list of transfer activity in this league is a fair reflection of who is going for it, and who is hanging on. Tonight’s game might be our last win for a while. Enjoy yourself etc etc.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/scottish-championship-transfers-summer-2024

It is a dangerous philosophy to equate activity with progress. Busy fools comes to mind. 

Unless Peterhead do the unthinkable progression from the group is likely coming down to goal difference. Airdrie & Falkirk/Ayr will likely improve on their GD, reasonable chance of Alloa / East Fife / Clyde causing upsets and Raith hot on our heels probably going to need to win by a few goals on Saturday. All to play for 🕷️🕸️

10 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

After tonight I'm convinced more than ever that Lesser is unsuitable for Championship football.

Average attendance last season, (minus the Arbroath game at Lesser), almost 1900, now even taking off 50 or so for the free tickets for schools scheme, we're denying ourselves in the region of £20k per home match by not having a sufficient capacity at Lesser, or having access to Hampden.  Add to that the disconnect you feel from the rest of the home support being stretched out as you are, then you are completely correct.  The revenue from the Royal Box must be significant.

That was enjoyable last night. Albeit we’re playing Elgin, there was a real swagger about us after a slow opening 10 minutes, especially considering when we had zero natural centre back on the pitch for around 75 minutes. 

Thought everyone put in a really decent shift but I was particularly impressed with Cammy Kerr. Playing the left side of a back 3 and he was excellent. Composed on the ball, full of energy, knew what he was doing and never backed out of a single challenge in the air or on the ball. I think he’ll be so key for us if we’re to have a moderately decent league campaign 

Roddy Macgregor gives me large Grant Savoury vibes. Silky on the ball, wants to get in the box and can score a goal. Think there’s a real potential star if it corresponds into the championship

Centre back situation becomes more worrying by the week but at least we know Udjur is definitely coming in now given he was in his QP tracksuit. Again, the actual 11 we start with is really solid and will compete fine in the championship. We just need the depth sorted asap

56 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Unless Peterhead do the unthinkable progression from the group is likely coming down to goal difference. Airdrie & Falkirk/Ayr will likely improve on their GD, reasonable chance of Alloa / East Fife / Clyde causing upsets and Raith hot on our heels probably going to need to win by a few goals on Saturday. All to play for 🕷️🕸️

I think it's very unlikely we wouldn't go through if we beat Kelty on Saturday, given that any win would have us at a GD of at least +6 but obviously the more we can put past them the better! Hopefully they're no longer up for it since they can't make the next stage

Went along last night to (re)complete the 42 grounds.  QP looked pretty solid and some of the passing was really incisive.  That said Elgin were piss-poor, and only 3 or 4 spectacular goal line clearances stopped it from being a very big score.

As for the ground, what the f**k have you done?  That Royal Box is mental - it may as well have a sign behind it saying “f**k off plebs, this is my toy”.  Good pitch though.

If you’re aiming to be a long term League 1 or 2 side, great.  Otherwise what a waste of potential.

Impressed by Roddy, thought Cammy Kerr did really well considering he was playing left of a three. Both  look really-really good additions, credit where it's due.

Really impressed with Zach Mauchin when he came on too - used the ball pretty well overall. 

Rudden a wee bit isolated but linked up well at times. Once the defence is sorted - that's the next area to strengthen for me. 

MacGregor should be playing in the Scottish Barclays.  If he didn't get his horrendous ankle injury he probably would be.

1 hour ago, mcjameos said:

Iirc Dundee United are on 9 points in the Falkirk group with worse goal difference than us and 4 games played. That would mean that if we win and Falkirk win then Falkirk win the group and we're above United in second place teams

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

MacGregor should be playing in the Scottish Barclays.  If he didn't get his horrendous ankle injury he probably would be.

Shaping up to be a damn fine player - and fits in with the team really well.

1 hour ago, starshot131 said:

Iirc Dundee United are on 9 points in the Falkirk group with worse goal difference than us and 4 games played. That would mean that if we win and Falkirk win then Falkirk win the group and we're above United in second place teams

True, but Ayr could also be in the mix in that scenario. They play Stenny or Buckie and Falkirk play the other. Both likely to win by several goals which could put their GD above ours.

Edited by mcjameos

Assuming that Tizzard's injury might now force the change to a back 4, (unless Mr Utility, Louis Longridge fancies a shift at CB too) and if Ujdur is fit, then I'd have thought the following would have a decent chance against most teams?

Rudden

Thomas               MacGregor        Turner/Hinds

Welsh     Thomson

Scott           Kerr         Ujdur        Mauchin/Longridge

Ferrie

Edited by Spider1975

51 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

True, but Ayr could also be in the mix in that scenario. They play Stenny or Buckie and Falkirk play the other. Both likely to win by several goals which could put their GD above ours.

Not sure if I've misunderstood what you're saying here but progression is limited to the best 2nd placed sides, even if someone finishes 3rd with a better record they can't go through. It's very much in our hands; if we win on Saturday, we'd need at least 2 of Clyde/Raith/whoever finishes 2nd in their group between Ayr and Falkirk to overtake our GD. There are other possible but less likely scenarios too but I think they're the main ones to look out for. Essentially, win by at least a couple and we've nothing to worry about.

30 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Not sure if I've misunderstood what you're saying here but progression is limited to the best 2nd placed sides, even if someone finishes 3rd with a better record they can't go through. It's very much in our hands; if we win on Saturday, we'd need at least 2 of Clyde/Raith/whoever finishes 2nd in their group between Ayr and Falkirk to overtake our GD. There are other possible but less likely scenarios too but I think they're the main ones to look out for. Essentially, win by at least a couple and we've nothing to worry about.

As things stand a win for us will ensure that we finish with a better record than whoever finishes 2nd in group D and Group E.

Just need to beat the record of three of the other five.

Of course, we don’t win and it doesn’t matter a jot.

What could possibly go wrong…..

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

Think my comment could have been clearer.  I was responding to a scenario that if Falkirk and QP win, we'd have a better GD than 2nd placed Dundee Utd.  However I think its quite likely Dundee Utd finish 3rd as Ayr will probably beat Buckie by three or more moving them to 2nd and could easily end up with a better GD than us.