The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

According to Davidson in this interview Queens Park are "working hard" to get temporary stands into Lesser. Good.  Rangers' Hampden move 'better for Scottish football' as willing Queen's Park accommodate Ibrox switch (msn.com)

“I think it is brilliant that we could help,” Davidson continued. “Obviously we want to help the big clubs, we want to help Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen. But we want to help any club really. We are in a position at Queen’s Park where we can do so.

Tone deaf.  Like Aberdeen have helped us by insisting (presumably) that any ticket sales must be actioned in person at the club office, rather than on-line/at the gate.  Give me strength.

"However, they agreed to remain at The City Stadium, formerly Lesser Hampden, for the foreseeable future following talks with the SFA and SPFL last month so that Rangers, whose redevelopment of the Copland Stand at Ibrox has been held up, can play there."

Not a word from the club about us playing at Lesser for the "foreseeable future" Indeed all matches from the start of September are still listed as being at Hampden.

I understand all the comments regarding the interview. I would, however, ask the question - if we were not accommodating Rangers would we be working hard to construct temporary stands? I doubt it. The shortage of finance was mentioned and the finance for these stands has come from somewhere. I doubt if it is from the boneheads on our committee.

Just a thought?

1 minute ago, williebraveheart said:

I understand all the comments regarding the interview. I would, however, ask the question - if we were not accommodating Rangers would we be working hard to construct temporary stands? I doubt it. The shortage of finance was mentioned and the finance for these stands has come from somewhere. I doubt if it is from the boneheads on our committee.

Just a thought?

I have little doubt that you are correct. But if the temporary stands are so temporary that they come down when we return to Hampden, we will have gained absolutely nothing out of  "helping Scottish football"

My thoughts on this are that Davidson is probably talking pish, let's be honest. He's not a big old firm fan, and there's no way he seriously cares about helping them. However, if qp are in a weak position here, which we seem to be, I imagine this is us being as diplomatic and nice as possible about the situation so that hopefully we are treated favourably by the powers that be. 

If those rumours about rangers paying for the temp stands are right, it's probably easier for them to pay for the stands of the cute wee club doing its best to help everyone out than to pay for the club that doesn't really like them and would rather not play in the same city as them at all. 

I don't see how we could make temp stands that only last a season, unless they're inflatables or something, so I imagine these are meant to last at least 5 years, which to be honest isn't a bad deal so long as they can accommodate an appropriate amount of punters. Imo, we should be going for about 4000 ideally, but realistically upwards of 2000 will do.

I do actually think we play better football at lesser than at big Hampden, probably because of the surface. I also don't think most championship clubs are well suited to that surface at all - can you imagine Kirk broadfoot having to play good football instead of just hoofing the ball up? So this might give us something of a home advantage which we definitely lacked last season. 

All in all, necessary corporate dribble aside, I think this is very very good news

59 minutes ago, starshot131 said:

I don't see how we could make temp stands that only last a season, unless they're inflatables or something, so I imagine these are meant to last at least 5 years, which to be honest isn't a bad deal so long as they can accommodate an appropriate amount of punters. Imo, we should be going for about 4000 ideally, but realistically upwards of 2000 will do.

I believe you can hire temporary stands in which case you would only have them for as long as you pay for them.  No idea how this would compare with paying someone to knock you some up that might last a few years.

3 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Depends on how many seats they're looking at. Will taking the capacity of Lesser up to 1300 or something make much of a difference? Unless they can somehow fit in at least an additional 1500 seats then it'll still be unfit for purpose.

Certainly think we need a capacity of 2000 minimum at Lesser, ideally more if we are to grow the fan base.  I think I read on a thread from the AGM about plans for stands "being on file". Hopefully that included options for temporary stands but who knows (certainly not us).

I can imagine it would be easier and quicker to get various permissions to erect a stand at the Letherby Rd end as it is close to existing entrances and toilets which might planning approvals and health and safety permissions easier to get.  The North end of the stadium could well be trickier given we don't seem to have established entrances etc. So my guess (and it is no more than that) is we might get Letherby Dr stand up first whilst any issues with the Sommerville Dr end are worked through.   

4 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I like Davidson, but that article just confirms what I think we already knew; we as fans are, quite frankly, an afterthought and even an inconvenience at times to the people who run the club. They simply do not care about us, and that's me wording it kindly.

Big picture thinking cap on...CD may have to deal with them soon when requiring a loan signing.

As much as it annoys me to think of ourselves as helping that mob, in any way, should the outcome be us playing permanently at Lesser, with a decent capacity, it may be considered worthwhile.

I think the 'for the good of the Scottish game' stuff is well overplayed. Realistically, we don't have the power or the influence to have dug in and sent Rangers to Murrayfield (or wherever). We're also cap in hand most seasons to SPFL / SFA to play here, there and wherever - it we didn't play nice this time around, we'd get chased next time we needed a favour. 

5 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

You'll get 86 seats just like Kelty did and be thankful.

Joking aside, wouldn’t Newlandsfield be a better option? You’ll lose a ton of cash otherwise. 

12 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

You'll get 86 seats just like Kelty did and be thankful.

Is there space for more terrace or a stand? Seems strange the club have chosen to build a newly developed stadium so small when there is demand for extra capacity that could generate money? I don’t understand the thinking behind the development as it stands at the moment, is the long term plan just to continue renting Hampden or is there to be more construction work still carried out at lesser? 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

19 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Joking aside, wouldn’t Newlandsfield be a better option? You’ll lose a ton of cash otherwise. 

Newlandsfield doesn't have any seats at all which I believe means it wouldn't be allowed.

13 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Is there space for more terrace or a stand? Seems strange the club have chosen to build a newly developed stadium so small when there is demand for extra capacity that could generate money? I don’t understand the thinking behind the development as it stands at the moment, is the long term plan just to continue renting Hampden or is there to be more construction work still carried out at lesser? 

Plenty of room, and even more if you knock down the Galactic Empire-esque royal box. A lot of talk about temporary stands recently but I'm unconvinced.