Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

Just now, gretnascotty said:

We are stronger this season but if we’re going off injuries & players missing, one of our key players Robbie Ivison was out last night & Sam Atkinson started on the bench after a knock on Saturday.  Also going forward our main goal threat Iain Anderson (he scored 2 last nighy and was motm) came off injured with 10 mins to go and by all accounts he could be out for weeks.  So we have/had players missing also.

Whatever Hearts team was put in front of Gretna last season we’d have still been pumped, we’re a different team this season!

What's the difference from last few seasons, bulk of the players the same just got experience at lowland level or did Gretna have a good recruitment pre season?

21 hours ago, Spyro said:

He needs punted ASAP. Fraser and himself have caused irreparable damage to the LL over the last few seasons by allowing the B teams in and pulling up the relegation drawbridge to save their own skins. Neither of them have an ounce of credibility left with supporters of the lower leagues

Thankfully the damage can be fixed provided the LL clubs get on and make sensible rules changes - and asap please!

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

What's the difference from last few seasons, bulk of the players the same just got experience at lowland level or did Gretna have a good recruitment pre season?

The recruitment has been much better.  Nikki White our director of football was here as a player a few years ago, has been a coach & managed at Lochar Thistle, he has a lot of contacts locally within the game so we have brought in the best local talent from dumfries and galloway & cumbria.  All players have been brought in within the budget as well.  Off the park we’re much stronger, fundraising, sponsors etc has got miles better as well.

So all in all yes, recruitment has been brilliant this season, the squad is better than ever.  But as i said there are better individuals involved off the park now therefore on the park has improved!

28 minutes ago, gretnascotty said:

But as i said there are better individuals involved off the park now therefore on the park has improved!

I take it yer ex manager who took on all things Gretna is no longer at the club ? 

10 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

You forgot Gala, Broomhill, in that order

At least GFR have their own stadium. 

Rather that than a club who don't know where they're at playing wise. 

The know it alls reaction to Gretna s fall from grace has suddenly disappeared. 

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

At least GFR have their own stadium. 

Rather that than a club who don't know where they're at playing wise. 

The know it alls reaction to Gretna s fall from grace has suddenly disappeared. 

I'm unsure what that means, if your in a league and your shite for the whole season then there's a good chance your going down, nothing to do with owning or not owning a stadium, bottom of the league is no lie, teams finishing dead last are last for a reason, badly run on the management or on the committee front or both. 

There's teams at a lot of levels without owning a stadium/ground that are run well and some are not.  Broomhill made a lot of money from the Scottish cup against Celtic I believe which have funded them for a number of years, setting them up but now looks as if the money is drying up so they are not doing well, will this continue for the rest of the season, unsure but the committee and management need to work hard to over turn it. 

Personally Gretna have been so bad for past couple of years I thought they were  a dead cert to go down, 2nd bottom last year, the year before that 3rd bottom and year before that 2nd bottom,  I'm surprised so far How Gretna are doing but a poster replied about Gretna saying Gretna have recruited well and sounds like it, committee wise everything is rosy so I say, good on them and well done to them so far.  They are on a  good early run so they may avoid. relegation. 

Gala Fairydean are a team I'd say that most expect to be usually in the bottom half of the league and when you are in this situation, if the league continues to become stronger and with stronger teams continue to be promoted to the Lowland from the divisions below then if you don't adapt then its only time that tells when you go down, but the same can be said for a few teams like East Stirlingshire for example (last 2 years 4th and 5th bottom of their league etc..  (I don't think they have a ground either, cant remember the reason why, will need to read up on that one)

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

3 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I'm unsure what that means, if your in a league and your shite for the whole season then there's a good chance your going down, nothing to do with owning or not owning a stadium, bottom of the league is no lie, teams finishing dead last are last for a reason, badly run on the management or on the committee front or both. 

There's teams at a lot of levels without owning a stadium/ground that are run well and some are not.  Broomhill made a lot of money from the Scottish cup against Celtic I believe which have funded them for a number of years, setting them up but now looks as if the money is drying up so they are not doing well, will this continue for the rest of the season, unsure but the committee and management need to work hard to over turn it. 

Personally Gretna have been so bad for past couple of years I thought they were  a dead cert to go down, 2nd bottom last year, the year before that 3rd bottom and year before that 2nd bottom,  I'm surprised so far How Gretna are doing but a poster replied about Gretna saying Gretna have recruited well and sounds like it, committee wise everything is rosy so I say, good on them and well done to them so far.  They are on a  good early run so they may avoid. relegation. 

Gala Fairydean are a team I'd say that most expect to be usually in the bottom half of the league and when you are in this situation, if the league continues to become stronger and with stronger teams continue to be promoted to the Lowland from the divisions below then if you don't adapt then its only time that tells when you go down, but the same can be said for a few teams like East Stirlingshire for example (last 2 years 4th and 5th bottom of their league etc..  (I don't think they have a ground either, cant remember the reason why, will need to read up on that one)

Quite well aware if you finish bottom you deserve to go down. 

Basically rather see a team playing in the LL in a decent ground and guaranteeing a Saturday shift than a team who groundshare with no long term lease playing Fridays or Sundays.

It's all aboot opinions. 

P.S Strollers haven't started the season well either. You missed out them on your analysis. Should be a lot tighter at bottom this season. 

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

I don't remember anyone slagging Gretna.

Never posted slagging them just certain posters wrote them off before a ball was kicked. 

Edited by newcastle broon

19 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Quite well aware if you finish bottom you deserve to go down. 

Basically rather see a team playing in the LL in a decent ground and guaranteeing a Saturday shift than a team who groundshare with no long term lease playing Fridays or Sundays.

It's all aboot opinions. 

P.S Strollers haven't started the season well either. You missed out them on your analysis. Should be a lot tighter at bottom this season. 

Never posted slagging them just certain posters wrote them off before a ball was kicked. 

Yeah agree 100%, its all about opinions, i get that but what we all think or see or even dislike doesn't always go the way we want.

Regarding Stollers, in my analysis, i didn't add them as they have really been finishing mid- table the past few years, so its really this year they are down near relegation.

Actually Newcastle Broon, it's quite interesting to know who owns their own ground in the Lowland league:
or is the ground leased or is it in a trust or is it owned by one person ?

Albion Rovers                                    Yes
Berwick Rangers                               Yes - owned by supporters
Bo'ness United                                   ?
Broomhill                                            No
Broxburn Athletic                              No - Council owned. The Broxburn United Sports Community run the facility?
Caledonian Braves                          ?
Celtic B                                                No
Civil Service Strollers                       ?
Cowdenbeath                                   No 
Cumbernauld Colts                         No
East Kilbride                                       ?
East Stirlingshire                               No
Gala Fairydean Rovers                   ?
Gretna 2008                                      ?
Heart of Midlothian B                      No
Linlithgow Rose                                Yes - owned Majority of fans and committee
Tranent                                               ?
University of Stirling                         No

I think if anyone has any common sense, Gretna would be a team that the majority of football mad people would expect to be in the relegation zone without knowing how things are going at the club at the start of the season.  They have without doubt, been active, going by some replies on here and the committee is in a better place so they will be hoping that they will do better than they have in the past 3 seasons finishing 3rd bottom twice and 2nd bottom once.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

30 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

I think that would have been a reasonable evaluation given their form over the last 2 or 3 seasons.  It's also early days although they look to have enough about them to survive again.

Fair play to them.

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

It's also early days although they look to have enough about them to survive again.

There's only been one season of the Lowland League where you needed more than twelve points to avoid bottom place. Gretna 2008 already have nine points with twenty-eight games to play. I understand two can go down in some circumstances, but I think there'd need to be some drastic off-pitch nonsense before Christmas for Gretna to finish dead last this season.

3 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah agree 100%, its all about opinions, i get that but what we all think or see or even dislike doesn't always go the way we want.

Regarding Stollers, in my analysis, i didn't add them as they have really been finishing mid- table the past few years, so its really this year they are down near relegation.

Actually Newcastle Broon, it's quite interesting to know who owns their own ground in the Lowland league:
or is the ground leased or is it in a trust or is it owned by one person ?

Albion Rovers                                     ?
Berwick Rangers                               ?
Bo'ness United                                   ?
Broomhill                                            No
Broxburn Athletic                              ?
Caledonian Braves                          ?
Celtic B                                               No
Civil Service Strollers                       ?
Cowdenbeath                                  ?
Cumbernauld Colts                        No
East Kilbride                                       ?
East Stirlingshire                              No
Gala Fairydean Rovers                   ?
Gretna 2008                                      ?
Heart of Midlothian B                      No
Linlithgow Rose                                 ?
Tranent                                               ?
University of Stirling                         No

I think if anyone has any common sense, Gretna would be a team that the majority of football mad people would expect to be in the relegation zone without knowing how things are going at the club at the start of the season.  They have without doubt, been active, going by some replies on here and the committee is in a better place so they will be hoping that they will do better than they have in the past 3 seasons finishing 3rd bottom twice and 2nd bottom once.

Linlithgow Rose own their ground

19 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Thanks Hologram 👍  but how do they won it, a committee man own it, or a truth or company etc...

Ground was purchased years ago. Could not be sold unless a majority of season ticket holders were in agreement.