Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

23 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I don't think this season we'll see one or two teams tail off to such a large degree.  I guess we'll see.

Aye, inclined to agree with you there. Certainly the Gala, Colts and Strollers results today seem to indicate a much tighter league than in previous years.

I was in a pub today with a framed East Stirlingshire top, which lead me to thinking: is there a single person in Broomhill who supports Broomhill?

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

I don't know if anyone wrote Gretna off and given the potential for variation season-to-season at this level it would have been silly to do so. But of the teams who started this season they had by a long, long way the worst record in the Lowland League over the past 5 years or so and had the most need to improve.

I'm really pleased to see they've done that, though I won't feel that way if we end up dicing with danger down the bottom end of the table.

The league is a coupon-buster this year. Gala 4-4 East Kilbride is just the latest. 

The potential is seeing a team doing the same thing year in and year out expecting a better result.  This season they look as if they have improved both on and off the field and its showing in their just rewards and whatever happens, all teams should take note and improve cause without doubt lying in or near the relegation every year will one year make you take the drop unless you do something about it and Gretna to their benefit have so far.

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I remember when Cowden played at Annan for the 1st time you were playing Edinburgh City at Everholm as I passed.

I was at that game, my first one watching Gretna 2008.

Lost 2 - 1 and had, think three players sent off!

12 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Aye, inclined to agree with you there. Certainly the Gala, Colts and Strollers results today seem to indicate a much tighter league than in previous years.

I was in a pub today with a framed East Stirlingshire top, which lead me to thinking: is there a single person in Broomhill who supports Broomhill?

No.

On 24/08/2024 at 12:13, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I asked this question before as it's quite interesting to know who owns their own ground in the Lowland league:
or is the ground leased or is it in a trust or is it owned by one person/couple of fans etc... ?
Any updates on this would be perfection thanks.

I think it's something that all fans of their clubs should know be kept up to date as you don't want your club being sold behind your back and you have no say in it.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.
Updated current Lowland league season list

Albion Rovers                                    Yes - Albion Rovers Football Club Ltd
Berwick Rangers                               Yes - owned by supporters
Bo'ness United                                   ?
Broomhill                                            No
Broxburn Athletic                              No - Council owned. The Broxburn United Sports Community run the facility?
Caledonian Braves                          ?
Celtic B                                                No
Civil Service Strollers                       ?
Cowdenbeath                                   No - owned by Innovate (Cowdenbeath) Ltd 
Cumbernauld Colts                         No
East Kilbride                                       ? yes - Owned by Supporters Community trust - (anyone Confirm)
East Stirlingshire                               No
Gala Fairydean Rovers                   ?
Gretna 2008                                      Yes - Raydale Community Partnership (RCP) - Gretna Amalgamation supporters group
Heart of Midlothian B                      No
Linlithgow Rose                                Yes - owned Majority of fans and committee
Tranent                                               ?
University of Stirling                         No

Caley Braves play on a council Astro-turf 

16 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I was in a pub today with a framed East Stirlingshire top

Just read that back and feel I should clarify:

I went to a pub which had a framed Shire top on the wall. I do not go into pubs by myself carrying a framed East Stirlingshire top so I have "someone" to drink with.

On 24/08/2024 at 19:05, GNU_Linux said:

image.thumb.png.9dc501544804ae2c0626e1cd6f3ea0b5.png

image.png.58dd0f2425fcb8afbf9534816c657e83.png

Gala vs EK putting a real dent in the nEvEr SeEn A gOoD gAmE oN pLaStIc argument

Worst game I ever saw ended 5-5. Lots of goals doesn't necessarily equal a good game.

Edited by rockson
adding a bit

Surely with eligibility to the play off being for Bronze license only, admission to the LL should not be permitted without a bronze licence.  

The WoS has had 2 seasons in a row when a club has won without the relevant license surely this need to be mandatory to get into the LL if not you end up with a situation the same as the WoS? 

Also if a B team wins the league there should be no team eligible to go into the play off as runner up etc….you voted to have b teams in surely if they win the league the teams finishing behind them have got to accept that in consequence to their vote no team goes into the play off.  

31 minutes ago, leaguereformer said:

Also if a B team wins the league there should be no team eligible to go into the play off as runner up etc….you voted to have b teams in surely if they win the league the teams finishing behind them have got to accept that in consequence to their vote no team goes into the play off.  

Wish that was part of the criteria in the first place. They wouldn't have got in. 

13 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Wish that was part of the criteria in the first place. They wouldn't have got in. 

Wish the majority of the LL teams had a back-bone from the start. Then, they wouldn’t have got in.

55 minutes ago, leaguereformer said:

Surely with eligibility to the play off being for Bronze license only, admission to the LL should not be permitted without a bronze licence.  

The WoS has had 2 seasons in a row when a club has won without the relevant license surely this need to be mandatory to get into the LL if not you end up with a situation the same as the WoS? 

You over here talking the same 💩 as you talk on the West Forum 😂😂

1 hour ago, leaguereformer said:

Well if you need a Bronze licence to get into the LL, by that logic shouldn't you also need one to play in tier 6? And also tier 7, 8, 9, 10...

Edited by Ginaro

22 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Well if you need a Bronze licence to get into the LL, by that logic shouldn't you also need one to play in tier 6? And also tier 7, 8, 9, 10...

He doesn’t use logic.

He hates Clydebank so much he’ll clutch at any straw to try and stop us progressing.

He’s an absolute sadcase Bankie stalker.

1 hour ago, leaguereformer said:

There's only 2 teams in the LL that have the Bronze. EK and Cumbernauld Colts

On 24/08/2024 at 21:10, DiegoDiego said:

Come on, you don't get away that easily.

There's two factions, the original BSC Glasgow who play at the far end of Knightswood.

Then there's the breakaway faction calling themselves Broomhill formerly known as BSC Glasgow/OG Broomhill and now back to Broomhill.

2 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Come on, you don't get away that easily.

There's two factions, the original BSC Glasgow who play at the far end of Knightswood.

Then there's the breakaway faction calling themselves Broomhill formerly known as BSC Glasgow/OG Broomhill and now back to Broomhill.

BSC aren't really in Broomhill. Peterson Park is in Knightswood and a good couple of miles from Broomhill, but given how hard it is to find grounds in the city that's plenty close enough IMO.