Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

4 hours ago, Connor7 said:

Shaping up to be a competitive league on paper minus the B teams. 

East Kilbride, Tranent will be the early favourites.  

Cowden, Linlithgow, Bo’ness top 6 

Toss up for who's done the better business so far, really. Both brought in a chunk of players that, on paper, could/should be playing at a higher level

15 minutes ago, Omnishambles said:

Toss up for who's done the better business so far, really. Both brought in a chunk of players that, on paper, could/should be playing at a higher level

Tranent have made some quality signings, no doubt. I would put the likes of Scott Gray and Dean Brett as really good LL level players.

With the other signings I would put Tranent as favourites at the moment, but who knows what more to come from both them and EK as far as throwing their financial muscle about.

1 hour ago, Cowdenleith said:

Tranent have made some quality signings, no doubt. I would put the likes of Scott Gray and Dean Brett as really good LL level players.

With the other signings I would put Tranent as favourites at the moment, but who knows what more to come from both them and EK as far as throwing their financial muscle about.

We've gone for a lot of players who have played in/won the league before and/or already know the club really well. Don't know too much about EK's business but Kennedy and Co. seem to be more towards the WoS market, which was expected I suppose

Edited by Omnishambles

59 minutes ago, Omnishambles said:

We've gone for a lot of players who know the club well, have played in/won the league before and/or already know the club really well. Don't know too much about EK's business but Kennedy and Co. seem to be more towards the WoS market, which was expected I suppose

Yeah two clubs operating in different markets. Mick and Ferry going for players who have worked under them previously.  

Could be an exciting race for the title, HL winner will have there work cut out again getting past LL winner 

2 hours ago, PossilYM said:

EK and Cumbernauld Colts are two clubs i'd love to see in the Wosfl along with Caledonian Braves.

Division 4

What has Division 4 ever done to you. It's only most of them that play in a cage. 😎😎

Just now, HorseyGhirl said:

What has Division 4 ever done to you. It's only most of them that play in a cage. 😎😎

True.

Could be bothered trailing up to East Kilbride Thistle today.

Had a day off, recharge the batteries.

Petershill tomorrow, I'll have a look at the amateurs.

1 minute ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Dont rule out the Beath with the millions they will bring in with their Viaplay Cup run coming up.😛

Rule them out to what?

Win the League again.

With no licence, that will save the various Ayrshire Banjo players embarrassment of failing to reach the LL.

Just now, PossilYM said:

True.

Could be bothered trailing up to East Kilbride Thistle today.

Had a day off, recharge the batteries.

Petershill tomorrow, I'll have a look at the amateurs.

Oh rub it in. I've got a horse show tomorrow just for a change.

Trying to negotiate getting 8th July off for Clydebank visit to Meadow Park.

2 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Rule them out to what?

Win the League again.

With no licence, that will save the various Ayrshire Banjo players embarrassment of failing to reach the LL.

Read my post again and realised it didn't make sense.

With all the money Cowdenbeath are getting in they will be able to get Messi and R7 in. They will walk the league then.

Berwick have strengthened in midfield and defence from last year, when we finished 7th after a poor 1st half of the season. 

Another striker or two to help Buchanan, and we'll be a good outside bet. 

7 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Rule them out to what?

Win the League again.

I wonder if in the 1900s their was some arsehole like you saying talbot weren't a real club or pollok because they just started

On 10/06/2023 at 23:53, searchers1963 said:

I wonder if in the 1900s their was some arsehole like you saying talbot weren't a real club or pollok because they just started

Same guy. All his letters of complaint to the sports editor of The Times were signed, "Outraged of Possil."

On 10/06/2023 at 12:59, PossilYM said:

EK and Cumbernauld Colts are two clubs i'd love to see in the Wosfl along with Caledonian Braves.

Division 4

No room at the inn.

2 minutes ago, cowdenbeath0-3 said:

Statement from rangers saying no B team will be entered into the lowland league ever again 

Actually serious :)

https://www.rangers.co.uk/Article/club-statement-scottish-lowland-football-league/6jLBPpT4G4BgTju0QQfL7X

RANGERS can today announce the club will not be entering a B team in the Scottish Lowland Football League in season 2023/24 and beyond. This follows the Scottish FA’s decision to withdraw a vote on the proposed introduction of a ‘Conference League’ at tier five in the national football pyramid.

Firstly, Rangers would like to put on record our sincere thanks to the Lowland League for hosting a Rangers B team in their league for the past two seasons, and to the clubs for their fantastic hospitality and sporting challenges during that time. Rangers wishes each and every one of them the very best for the future.

Rangers has long been a strong advocate for the introduction of B Teams in the professional leagues of Scottish football, with a Conference League being an excellent step in that direction. Nations across Europe operate similar B Team systems with strong evidence of their development of players at club and national level.

Indeed, all 10 teams who contributed most to the development of players for last year’s World Cup have B teams operating in national senior leagues. The desire from all at Rangers to have a B Team in the professional leagues remains as strong as ever.

Our view on B Teams was also strongly supported by the Scottish FA and its CEO Ian Maxwell, who recognise the clear, beneficial impact B Teams have on top international sides. For 18–21 year-old footballers, our research and the evidence clearly shows the best path for their development is playing professional football in professional leagues. A Conference League would have been a positive move towards that.

As matters now stand, there is no suitable, governing body-led development structure for players between 18-21 in Scotland. The club has, however, enjoyed positive dialogue with a number of key stakeholders in recent days, including the Scottish FA, and looks forward to continuing such discussions to map the best possible direction for the development of the country’s top young players.

Alongside the club’s participation in the Lowland League in the last two seasons, a challenging ‘best v best’ games programme has provided our young players with matches against clubs from the highest levels of British and European competition.

This has proved a success, with 10 recent Academy players featuring in the Rangers first-team last season.

Matches with the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool are among the fixtures to have featured and that programme will continue and indeed be enhanced alongside the club’s commitments in the SPFL Trust Trophy, City of Glasgow Cup and, hopefully, the UEFA Youth League, which provided an outstanding environment for our players last season. This will ensure our young players in that crucial 18-21 age group are given regular tests of a varied nature.

Rangers remains committed to finding the most innovative and challenging environments for our young players, not only for the benefit of our club, but also for the benefit of other clubs and the Scotland national team. We look forward to continuing our positive engagement with the Scottish FA and other bodies in the drive for young player development.