Immigration across the English Channel

Paxo

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Whilst the Rwanda policy itself is beyond abhorrent, the most chilling aspect is the public polling.  They say that what happens in the US eventually migrates to the UK and this is just another issue to give credence to that.  For Trump's Mexican wall read Patel's Rwanda planes.

We have lying populist Prime Minister whose Government is operating outwith internationally-recognised legal norms, and very worryingly endorsed by a large rabid nativist element of the electorate.

I feel bad for pointing out yet again that there is only one sensible route for the people of Scotland to extricate themselves from the right-wing clusterfuck that is the U.K.

24 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

They want to make it as difficult as possible to let brown people into the UK

The cruelty is the point to try and put them off from even trying 

It’s that’s simple 

Tbf even before Brexit they allowed more legal immigration from non-Eu countries than from the EU, that has now shifted way further to non-EU countries of course. And it's not Aussie students on their gap year, it's anyone with a healthy bank balance or specific qualifications. If the red wall voters find this out they'll be livid. 

Personally I'd like to see the whole system revamped as certain countries are being overrun with Refugees / Asylum seekers / Migrants (not us we take a lot less than many others but don't let the Tory voters know that!).  Some type of system where every country takes an equal share based on their population.  People could then go to their nearest safe country, put forward their claim and add any request for a specific country if say they've family there.  Otherwise send them to a safe destination to rebuild their life.  Never going to happen and we'll be stuck with the broken system we have now as getting the UN to agree on anything is impossible the 5 permanent members usually can't even agree.  

48 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Personally I'd like to see the whole system revamped as certain countries are being overrun with Refugees / Asylum seekers / Migrants (not us we take a lot less than many others but don't let the Tory voters know that!).  Some type of system where every country takes an equal share based on their population.  People could then go to their nearest safe country, put forward their claim and add any request for a specific country if say they've family there.  Otherwise send them to a safe destination to rebuild their life.  Never going to happen and we'll be stuck with the broken system we have now as getting the UN to agree on anything is impossible the 5 permanent members usually can't even agree.  

This is going to be essential when climate change makes places to hot or indeed too wet to live. That said if the UKG can shrug their shoulders at refugees who are fleeing conflict we are involved in I don't hold out much hope.

From France's perspective every asylum seeker that crosses the channel is one that is leaving the EU and lowering their own intake. Which means there is not much incentive in policing that particular border. It is very much the UK's problem now.

We know there is a significant minority that supports the government's policy on this and there's a normally prominent cohort of posters who are conspicuous by their absence on this thread.

This policy gives the impression that France, and possibly all of Continental Europe, must be crap if people are willing to risk life and limb to make it to good old Blighty.

In reality, a lot of refugees choose countries on the continent.  It is mainly those with family already in the UK that are trying to get across the channel.

19 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Indeed Granny, emigration, because unfortunately too many shat it in 2014.

It would be hypocritical for me to argue against that solution though it wasn’t the one I was alluding to.

This policy gives the impression that France, and possibly all of Continental Europe, must be crap if people are willing to risk life and limb to make it to good old Blighty.
In reality, a lot of refugees choose countries on the continent.  It is mainly those with family already in the UK that are trying to get across the channel.
Exactly. It's the British media that continues to pedal the line that every immigrant wants to come to the UK when in reality tens of thousands settle all over mainland Europe.

On 16/06/2022 at 08:45, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Whilst the Rwanda policy itself is beyond abhorrent, the most chilling aspect is the public polling.  They say that what happens in the US eventually migrates to the UK and this is just another issue to give credence to that.  For Trump's Mexican wall read Patel's Rwanda planes.

We have lying populist Prime Minister whose Government is operating outwith internationally-recognised legal norms, and very worryingly endorsed by a large rabid nativist element of the electorate.

Somebody somewhere at some point as worked out that an idiots vote counts the same as an educated persons, that is where populism and pandering to the lowest common denominator has came from  

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Language is an issue too, a lot come to the UK as they have English as a second language.

Or think they do, until they end up in Glasgow. :)

On 16/06/2022 at 02:18, Satoshi said:

Agreed with the above, it's a political tool to excite the ignorant. Refugrees who have made it to the UK on boat have often travelled half the world with meagre resources - if they are economically migrants (rather than refugees) they sound like they would be pretty resourceful employees.

They are undoubtedly economic migrants. If i was running from someone with a knife i wouldn't run past numerous safe streets, to get to get to the wealthiest neighborhood before seeking help.

There are may resourceful criminals. That's no reason to jettison rule of law.

1 hour ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

They are undoubtedly economic migrants. If i was running from someone with a knife i wouldn't run past numerous safe streets, to get to get to the wealthiest neighborhood before seeking help.

You'd probably run to where you had family and/or friends, and maybe spoke the language. They could solve 99% of this channel nonsense by allowing them to apply for asylum from outside the UK, putting the smugglers out of business overnight.

1 hour ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

😂

Love these thick-as-f**k cliches from Poundshop Farages 

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You'd probably run to where you had family and/or friends, and maybe spoke the language. They could solve 99% of this channel nonsense by allowing them to apply for asylum from outside the UK, putting the smugglers out of business overnight.

All those that get knocked back when applying from outside the UK will obviously just shrug their shoulders and not try to enter illegally.

1 hour ago, Zern said:

Language is an issue too, a lot come to the UK as they have English as a second language.

Or think they do, until they end up in Glasgow. :)

I don’t see the point you’re making, most Glaswegians have English as their second language.

Anyway according to the rabid right in 100, 50, 3 years time the majority language in the USA will be Spanish and the majority language in the U.K. will be Muslim so the use of English as the lingua franca will be of less importance and we can expect all these immigrants to end up on the Costas.