League 1 culinary offerings

Been a few years since we were down here and most of the teams here are different from last time.

Therefore, tell us all about what your club offers at games in terms of food and drink.

Is it basic fare, or does your club offer anything different/special?

At East End the steak bridie is highly recommended. Otherwise it's the usual pie and sausage roll stuff, although they're from local bakers Stephens, which is quality, but it should be noted that stuff from their stores in the city centre is better. In terms of drinks it's the usual tea/coffee/capri sun/water offering.

Did love a steak bridie on my EEP visits back when we last shared divisions then a cup tie in 10/11. Looking forward to that again. 

We have just moved to Hamilton so you'll probably have a better idea of their offerings than me.

Edited by CM.

Doubt there will be a pie stall at Subbutteo Meadowbank but there's a McDonald's across the road .. also Edinburgh Leisure might stretch to a vending machine. Feel free to put bent washers into it.

Pity really as the one thing that was decent about Ainslie Park was the Bain's pies.

1 hour ago, CM. said:

Did love a steak bridie on my EEP visits back when we last shared divisions then a cup tie in 10/11. Looking forward to that again. 

We have just moved to Hamilton so you'll probably have a better idea of their offerings than me.

Hamilton is the absolute epitome of 'average' in terms of an away ground.

46 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Doubt there will be a pie stall at Subbutteo Meadowbank but there's a McDonald's across the road .. also Edinburgh Leisure might stretch to a vending machine. Feel free to put bent washers into it.

Pity really as the one thing that was decent about Ainslie Park was the Bain's pies.

Surely they'll have something?! Are there not rules about providing a basic service (genuine question as I have no idea!).

43 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Surely they'll have something?! Are there not rules about providing a basic service (genuine question as I have no idea!).

Made me look over the SPFL Rules, and under the stadia category there is no provision for a requirement for anything. Now, that being said, surely health and welfare would require toilets and such, but food and drink, IDK.

From the licensing manual

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/8470/scottish-fa-club-licensing-manual-2022.pdf 

Refreshment Facilities: 
These shall be provided to spectators. In the event of a segregated area being required, it must have exclusive catering facilities and both male and female toilets which may be of temporary nature. The club shall ensure that the refreshment requirements of disabled spectators are catered for.

With meadowbank basically being a leisure center you’d think they might have some sort of cafe? 

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Hamilton is the absolute epitome of 'average' in terms of an away ground.

The positive thing about the food at Hamilton is that when you are queuing and buying you can watch the match uninterrupted.

10 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Probably the best food item in the world is served at EEP. The Stephens steak bridie.

Seriously considering completely flipping our business model, operating as a stephens outlet with complementary football on a Saturday 

Stephens steak bridies are a poor imitation of what they used to be, certainly the ones in the shops in the toon are. Closer to a Greggs “steak” bake than the premium scran they used to be from about 4-5 years ago or more. Plenty of my mates feel similar.

Stephens steak bridies are a poor imitation of what they used to be, certainly the ones in the shops in the toon are. Closer to a Greggs “steak” bake than the premium scran they used to be from about 4-5 years ago or more. Plenty of my mates feel similar.
I hear what you're saying, closest one to me is the one on Pilmuir Street and its still the berries tbf but the drive thru and the east end produce aren't quite the same.

Steak bridie, in a Stephens outlet, would struggle to get into my top five available items. That’s more a reflection on the quality of other items such as the broccoli, cauliflower, cheese and chilli pie, than a reflection on the bridie. The bridie buyer needs to use their wisdom and choose the bridie that suits them. I like mine skinny and only just starting to dry out. If they look over-stuffed I won’t buy one. 

18 hours ago, crowie said:

They are very hit and miss tbh.

I've had ones that were properly dreadful and others that made me believe in a higher power.

They are very hit and miss tbh.
I've had ones that were properly dreadful and others that made me believe in a higher power.

They used to be always stacked with proper chunks of meat. The last few I had, as said, were closer to Greggs steak bake with more gravy and a dearth of filling.

Kelty steak pies are excellent. Proper chunks of meat. My mate reckons the sausage roll was the best he ever had but the one time I had one, it was average.

XL cheese crisps.  My wife's best pal is an exiled Doonhamer and I am a dead man if I don't return from one of my infrequent trips South without at least one packet.  I was accorded demi-god status when I returned with a box a couple of years ago, though I did get some strange looks on the train back to Embra 😅

XL cheese crisps.  My wife's best pal is an exiled Doonhamer and I am a dead man if I don't return from one of my infrequent trips South without at least one packet.  I was accorded demi-god status when I returned with a box a couple of years ago, though I did get some strange looks on the train back to Embra [emoji28]
Get a box bought every time! Cheese XL crisps and red cola is a staple diet. Unreal