The Patrick Grady Affair

ICTChris

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Disgraceful decision.

Who made the decision?

If it isn’t Stephen Flynn (and very bizarre if it was) then you'd suspect there's some shit stirring going on from the departed Blackford.

I get that the police investigation against Grady was dropped and he also apologised - but that isn't good enough - he should have been asked to resign.

It's also disgraceful when you see that Derek Mackay never had the whip reinstated after a similar allegation and non-prosecution.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

More sleaze by another small lipped, fat, speccy man.
The SNP used to be a decent party.

Presumably he's standing as an independent not for the SNP. Although the media would like to give you the impression that he is.

2 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

Presumably he's standing as an independent not for the SNP. Although the media would like to give you the impression that he is.

He's been back on the SNP whip since December.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Patrick Grady not selected to run in his constituency, effectively ending his political career. 

Good. I wrote to him when he first entered Westminster just as MPs had awarded themselves (or accepted) another pay rise.

I suggested that by him individually (and/or all other SNP MPs) refusing the pay rise or better, giving it to charity, this would show support to those at the lower rung of UK income levels as well as illustrating how SNP were indeed a breath of fresh air (as had been campaigned on). This I suggested would send out a strong signal. His response was basically that what individuals did with their income was a personal matter and if I wanted to buy some merchandise from his constituency shop, proceeds from that would go to charity. It was not made clear what % of proceeds would find its way to charity. 

16 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Good. I wrote to him when he first entered Westminster just as MPs had awarded themselves (or accepted) another pay rise.

I suggested that by him individually (and/or all other SNP MPs) refusing the pay rise or better, giving it to charity, this would show support to those at the lower rung of UK income levels as well as illustrating how SNP were indeed a breath of fresh air (as had been campaigned on). This I suggested would send out a strong signal. His response was basically that what individuals did with their income was a personal matter and if I wanted to buy some merchandise from his constituency shop, proceeds from that would go to charity. It was not made clear what % of proceeds would find its way to charity. 

I’ve got to be honest - this giving salary to charity is utter nonsense.  

Different debate about whether there should be a pay rise or not, but once it has been awarded, it should be completely up to the recipient what they do with it.  If someone sent me a letter telling me I should give part of my salary to charity, I would tell them to bolt.

5 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

I’ve got to be honest - this giving salary to charity is utter nonsense.  

Different debate about whether there should be a pay rise or not, but once it has been awarded, it should be completely up to the recipient what they do with it.  If someone sent me a letter telling me I should give part of my salary to charity, I would tell them to bolt.

if you had lobbied publicly to get your job on the basis that current incumbents had their snouts n the trough, were out of touch with those outside their bubble, and that if you got the job you would be a breath of fresh air, then you would be a hypocrite in accepting any newly offered pay rise on gaining the job. 

If you were not appointed by the public to your current position, then your comparison is completely redundant. 

17 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

if you had lobbied publicly to get your job on the basis that current incumbents had their snouts n the trough, were out of touch with those outside their bubble, and that if you got the job you would be a breath of fresh air, then you would be a hypocrite in accepting any newly offered pay rise on gaining the job. 

If you were not appointed by the public to your current position, then your comparison is completely redundant. 

Utter nonsense. Taking the pay that is awarded to you is not “having your snout in the trough”. 

7 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

Utter nonsense. Taking the pay that is awarded to you is not “having your snout in the trough”. 

My understanding of the "trough" is not the salaries Parliamentarians vote for themselves but the very substantial pool of funds which is available and can be be claimed for expenses, office rents, staffing  and equipment costs, jollies to outside meetings, conferences etc., hire of private jets, yachts, limos. I am sure there are other costs which can be reimbursed.

1 hour ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

My understanding of the "trough" is not the salaries Parliamentarians vote for themselves but the very substantial pool of funds which is available and can be be claimed for expenses, office rents, staffing  and equipment costs, jollies to outside meetings, conferences etc., hire of private jets, yachts, limos. I am sure there are other costs which can be reimbursed.

Which would completely negate the point made by @KingRocketman II.  Writing to someone insisting they should give part of their salary to charity is just the politics of envy.

I also don’t get the problem with the payment of legitimate expenses.  Abuse of expenses is not on, and should be a disciplinary issue.  Office rent, equipment costs etc are prerequisites of being able to represent your constituents.