The Polio thread

Polio is a fucking awful disease- read about folk who had to live in "iron lungs" for example-and it's a good thing it was conquered 

As for diseases that should come back "clownitis" from Henry's Cat would be a good one 

14 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Surely the vast majority of working folk are vaccinated against polio anyhow?

They are but numbers particularly in London seemed to have dropped off a bit recently.

What's been detected is vaccine derived polio so someone who has been inoculated with live virus vaccine and has either shed some of the virus or shed some which has then mutated. We don't inoculate with live polio virus vaccines in the UK or developed parts of the world now as case numbers are very very low and the risk of live vaccines re-seeding an outbreak is too high. We use inactivated virus vaccines to reduce the chances of this. 

Explained beautifully on sky earlier by P&B favourite and all round good egg Devi Sridhar.

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

They are but numbers particularly in London seemed to have dropped off a bit recently.

What's been detected is vaccine derived polio so someone who has been inoculated with live virus vaccine and has either shed some of the virus or shed some which has then mutated. We don't inoculate with live polio virus vaccines in the UK or developed parts of the world now as case numbers are very very low and the risk of live vaccines re-seeding an outbreak is too high. We use inactivated virus vaccines to reduce the chances of this. 

Explained beautifully on sky earlier by P&B favourite and all round good egg Devi Sridhar.

Africa was declared free of wild Polio a couple of years ago, what wasn't mentioned at the time was that vaccine derived polio is absolutely rife throughout central Africa and into parts of Asia.

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

There was an old-school chemist shop down from where I was brought up that still had one of these in the doorway as late as the 1980s...hopefully they've kept it in storage...

Brian Lumsdon 💙 on Twitter: "This old polio charity box brought back  #memories @Beamish_Museum. https://t.co/HSmR8wvH3u" / Twitter

Were they for polio, I thought they were for The Spactics Society? I know someone who stole one.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Polio is a fucking awful disease- read about folk who had to live in "iron lungs" for example-and it's a good thing it was conquered 

As for diseases that should come back "clownitis" from Henry's Cat would be a good one 

You must have seen the movie.

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There are still people who use iron lungs who had polio decades ago.

Most primary schools in the 70s had a "Special" department, with 1 or 2 classes of kids with disabilities caused by Polio, Thalidomide or who had Downs Syndrome. At my school, the teacher in charge of them had no hands, he wore plastic ones with string-backed drivers gloves over them. He'd lost his hands escaping from a burning plane in WWII.

I think they lock those kids out of sight now. 

4 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

TBH I'd rather see Polio come back than Oasis or Abba.

You would have had fun at the Inverness Ironworks a few months ago.  Tribute acts for Beatles, Oasis, Abba and Queen.

"Hey where's Richey?  He's missing the show."

"Oh, never mind him, he is seeing if he can catch polio."

• 1 month later...