Third Divison 22/23

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Its basically about a number of things have happened to the WOSFL that have hindered the WOSFL since its inception.
The main being the SFA But if you remember, although I could be wrong about this, the 7 clubs were supposed to be relegated from the WOSFL Premier league over the two years, dictated to by the SFA who said by season 22/23 must be 16 teams in the league. SO, 20/21 I think was supposed to be 4 teams and 21/22 was supposed to be 3 teams but the 20/21 season was stopped due to, wait for it, Covid, thus the 20/21 season ended up being null and void and this meant the 21/22 season still had 20 teams.  There were teams that withdrew from the first WOSFL season 20/21 throguhout the divisions, which was the pandemic, and in the premier division, I'm sure they were Auchinleck, Pollok, Cumnock, Glenafton, Kilbirnie and then Benburb withdrew during mid season.  With the inception of the WOSFL from the juniors they kept the 16 teams and the top 3 who would have been promoted from the 2019/20 season wanted to be in the premier league and demanded that they should be promoted and also with Bonnyton were included, (quite rightly), being a tier 6 SOSFL Ayrshire team came in swapping leagues but staying in tier 6, (Think Bonnyton Thistle was voted in by Club members, Is this correct?)

So actually Covid is one of the mean reasons whilst adding to other reasons, why season 21/22 had 20 teams and that's why I replied to this post that 7 teams were relegated that season.

Sorry, if I had added more detail to my post previously, then maybe you wouldn't have wasted your time replying to my post but its appreciated.

Blame the SFA, everybody else does.

FINNART 1  LARKHALL THISTLE  1           played at Greenfield Park, Shettleston.

Sluggish display by Jags, however Finnart were worth the point.

Looks like V of C for the title now with AWR and ourselves going up, hopefully no more slip-ups.

Game played at Shettleston as park unavailable to Finnart, apparently- makes one wonder why there is a team in the league who cannot guarantee their own playing field. No facilities or catering for the Larkie supporters who follow us in such good numbers, as there was a private function in the Club. Standards should be higher.

Having said that, Finnart looked well organised and a decent team.

18 minutes ago, larkyforever said:

FINNART 1  LARKHALL THISTLE  1           played at Greenfield Park, Shettleston.

Sluggish display by Jags, however Finnart were worth the point.

Looks like V of C for the title now with AWR and ourselves going up, hopefully no more slip-ups.

Game played at Shettleston as park unavailable to Finnart, apparently- makes one wonder why there is a team in the league who cannot guarantee their own playing field. No facilities or catering for the Larkie supporters who follow us in such good numbers, as there was a private function in the Club. Standards should be higher.

Having said that, Finnart looked well organised and a decent team.

The punters who ran the 7 days a week catering outlet at Shettleston left as soon as after the legal name change happened.

And opened up at in a caravan round the corner at the astro cage car park.

5 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Lugar Boswell Thistle 1-1 Vale of Leven

What could end up being a valuable point in the Ayrshire sunshine.

20230513_135911.jpg

Great pie down there

5 minutes ago, bc57 said:

Amazed the Vale keeper never got a red for booting the AWR in the back of the net after their goal, in plain sight of the ref.

The ref was looking straight at it, just walked straight past the keeper as if he'd seen nothing.🙈

17 hours ago, Budandavodka said:

Not surprised the refs performance was shambolic yesterday. He missed bigger decisions than this and gave some bizarre decisions throughout the game. 

Seems to be a common occurrence,  highlights from the Irvine Vics v Kello Rovers game below. 3 min 52 sec in and a defender clears the ball on the goal line with his arm/hand, play on. 8 min 8 sec, the ball hits the bar and comes down over the line and bounces out, play on. Those two decisions I can understand not being given as it's a split second and ref might not have seen it. The worst for me comes at 11 min and 20 sec, player goes down and the ball goes to a team mate, he plays it up the park and the striker is about to latch on to it then the ref blows for a foul for when the player went down, fully 5 seconds after and with the striker in a promising position. Think it's pretty obvious it wasn't even a foul, that's the reason he let play continue originally. Is it any wonder that sometimes teams rightly or wrongly feel they get a rough deal in some games?

Saying that, who would be a ref? There must be easier things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Edited to add that when Kello score their number 4 gives the middle finger to someone off pitch, sure he did similar against Royal Albert and got a red card, yet only a yellow on Saturday.

Edited by outsider

5 minutes ago, outsider said:

Seems to be a common occurrence,  highlights from the Irvine Vics v Kello Rovers game below. 3 min 52 sec in and a defender clears the ball on the goal line with his arm/hand, play on. 8 min 8 sec, the ball hits the bar and comes down over the line and bounces out, play on. Those two decisions I can understand not being given as it's a split second and ref might not have seen it. The worst for me comes at 11 min and 20 sec, player goes down and the ball goes to a team mate, he plays it up the park and the striker is about to latch on to it then the ref blows for a foul for when the player went down, fully 5 seconds after and with the striker in a promising position. Think it's pretty obvious it wasn't even a foul, that's the reason he let play continue originally. Is it any wonder that sometimes teams rightly or wrongly feel they get a rough deal in some games?

Saying that, who would be a ref? There must be easier things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Do not envy them at all. No refs, no games. Simple as. I am sure they too will look at highlights and wonder how they made certain decisions. Easy with the benefit of a review and I say that knowing the criticism of VAR, which still gets the majority of decisions correct.

2 minutes ago, bc57 said:

Do not envy them at all. No refs, no games. Simple as. I am sure they too will look at highlights and wonder how they made certain decisions. Easy with the benefit of a review and I say that knowing the criticism of VAR, which still gets the majority of decisions correct.

I totally get that, we all make mistakes but to watch a keeper kick a player up the arse and carry on as if nothing has happened can't be right, that's more than a mistake I'd say.

On 13/05/2023 at 13:17, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Its basically about a number of things have happened to the WOSFL that have hindered the WOSFL since its inception.
The main being the SFA But if you remember, although I could be wrong about this, the 7 clubs were supposed to be relegated from the WOSFL Premier league over the two years, dictated to by the SFA who said by season 22/23 must be 16 teams in the league. SO, 20/21 I think was supposed to be 4 teams and 21/22 was supposed to be 3 teams but the 20/21 season was stopped due to, wait for it, Covid, thus the 20/21 season ended up being null and void and this meant the 21/22 season still had 20 teams.  There were teams that withdrew from the first WOSFL season 20/21 throguhout the divisions, which was the pandemic, and in the premier division, I'm sure they were Auchinleck, Pollok, Cumnock, Glenafton, Kilbirnie and then Benburb withdrew during mid season.  With the inception of the WOSFL from the juniors they kept the 16 teams and the top 3 who would have been promoted from the 2019/20 season wanted to be in the premier league and demanded that they should be promoted and also with Bonnyton were included, (quite rightly), being a tier 6 SOSFL Ayrshire team came in swapping leagues but staying in tier 6, (Think Bonnyton Thistle was voted in by Club members, Is this correct?)

So actually Covid is one of the mean reasons whilst adding to other reasons, why season 21/22 had 20 teams and that's why I replied to this post that 7 teams were relegated that season.

Sorry, if I had added more detail to my post previously, then maybe you wouldn't have wasted your time replying to my post but its appreciated.

It's been well documented on here but the decision was made not to relegate clubs in 2020 after the initial COVID interruption. It was a cowardly act which led to a 20 club league. 

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

It's been well documented on here but the decision was made not to relegate clubs in 2020 after the initial COVID interruption. It was a cowardly act which led to a 20 club league. 

I appreciate it's three years on and the accuracy of people's memories will naturally fade as we move further away from the events, but that's not quite what actually happened.

Clubs could not be relegated at the end of the SJFA West Region season 2019-20 as there was not going to be a league for them to be relegated into. The SJFA West Region was closing down, so they decided to declare champions only. It was not in their remit to nominate relegated teams, as the WoSFL were accepting teams initially on a level playing field at tier 6 conferences.

When the Scottish FA intervened and insisted that there be a WoSFL Premier Division for its first season in 2020-21 (otherwise approval for the leagues to start would not be granted), they told the people who were running the league at the time (the Lowland League board) that there was a template of a Premier Division that they were to use for those 16 teams, i.e. the existing 16 teams in the old SJFA West Region Premiership. It was then agreed that Bonnyton Thistle should make it 17 teams as they were transferring from the SoSFL and had the right to remain at tier 6 and not be "relegated" a tier. The three teams who would have been promoted from the old West Region SJFA Championship then asked for the right to be involved as well at Premier Division level, and the Scottish FA agreed.

Whether we agree with what historically happened or not is not really something we need to go back over again, but that is what happened. It was not a cowardly act by the SJFA West Region, as they had no right to declare relegation into leagues which were not going to exist, and neither did they have the right to dictate to a new organisation (the WoSFL) as to how they set up their leagues.

50 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I appreciate it's three years on and the accuracy of people's memories will naturally fade as we move further away from the events, but that's not quite what actually happened.

Clubs could not be relegated at the end of the SJFA West Region season 2019-20 as there was not going to be a league for them to be relegated into. The SJFA West Region was closing down, so they decided to declare champions only. It was not in their remit to nominate relegated teams, as the WoSFL were accepting teams initially on a level playing field at tier 6 conferences.

When the Scottish FA intervened and insisted that there be a WoSFL Premier Division for its first season in 2020-21 (otherwise approval for the leagues to start would not be granted), they told the people who were running the league at the time (the Lowland League board) that there was a template of a Premier Division that they were to use for those 16 teams, i.e. the existing 16 teams in the old SJFA West Region Premiership. It was then agreed that Bonnyton Thistle should make it 17 teams as they were transferring from the SoSFL and had the right to remain at tier 6 and not be "relegated" a tier. The three teams who would have been promoted from the old West Region SJFA Championship then asked for the right to be involved as well at Premier Division level, and the Scottish FA agreed.

Whether we agree with what historically happened or not is not really something we need to go back over again, but that is what happened. It was not a cowardly act by the SJFA West Region, as they had no right to declare relegation into leagues which were not going to exist, and neither did they have the right to dictate to a new organisation (the WoSFL) as to how they set up their leagues.

Agree with almost all of that post but there is a glaring omission. You're correct, there is no need to go over it again but like so many other things in the world over the last three years, COVID cannot get the blame for this. The fact is that the new WoSFL made the decision to allow the promoted teams to be part of the Premier as the league positions were clear from the end of the previous season, albeit it was cut short. If those positions were good enough to decide the teams to be promoted, then they should also have been good enough to decided the three clubs who were to be relegated from the top league. The decision was made not to relegate them leading to a 20 team league. It wasn't a lack of decision. A conscious choice was made. That's the cowardly part to which I was referring.