The Queen of the South thread

Sounds like Jesse Akubuine is making a decent impact off the bench. Some of our fans gave him praise after the Annan game, and the Fleetwood website described him as being a lively contributor off the bench. Encouraging

Definitely impressed at annan, don't think he wasted a pass and got stuck in so fingers crossed he's one who can step up during the season, if he's done well again as report suggests. Seemingly back 4 were a lot stronger and Jacob's had a great game. Really don't think our starting line up is bad but seriously need some depth, to the squad.   

Can McFadden play as a trialist in these cup games coming up?

I thought this was a half decent performance. As mentioned Akinbuine made an impact, and the move where he won the free kick saw him turn and almost completely lose his marker, who had to resort to an unsuccessful tug and an eventual lunge to stop him.

Dobbs as ever was lively but it feels like he needs more support, Dykes isn't the answer to anything other than 'who is the tallest player on the club's books?'

For all I've heard about our defensive woes I thought they were pretty solid yesterday - the weakness is at right back, Rooney looks like a centre back being played out of position and Mercer visibly lacks pace. 

Midfield also looks ok to me - the much vilified Rankin picked some fine passes and ran miles - noted the amount of work he did off the ball too, Jacobs got stuck in and the two complemented each other well. I can see why Jacobs gets slotted in at right back though, and if that happens it will leave us short in the middle.

With another attacker to maybe alternate with Derek Lyle and a little more defensive cover I think that the team could exceed expectations, but then again I'm basing a lot on a pre-season bounce-up*

Shall be at the EK game to see whether my optimism works in a more competitive game, although for a practice match yesterday's was a good watch-obviously a big bonus for me being only four miles up the road.

* and an alarming 40 odd years (on and off) watching Queens!

6 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

The criticism of Rankin is pretty unfounded if you ask me. He's been exactly the player I thought he would be.

He's been exactly the player I thought he would be too.

Unfortunately 

Need another 4 in for sure.

At the moment I just want players signed for the sake of signing just to swell the ranks a little. With the cup games coming up i think we are fortunate having lower league teams first as new signings need time to gel with the team and we should should have enough at the moment to put aside stenny and EK. hopefully someone will be announced this week

The criticism of Rankin is pretty unfounded if you ask me. He's been exactly the player I thought he would be.

I agree. The games I've seen he's been a pretty calm old head in the middle. Nothing spectacular but comfortable on the ball. I'd like to see him and Tapping start in midfield.

I agree. The games I've seen he's been a pretty calm old head in the middle. Nothing spectacular but comfortable on the ball. I'd like to see him and Tapping start in midfield.

Don't think people appreciate Rankin, yes he can be wasteful in possession as can Kyle Jacob's but he's the one who gets a slagging. John Rankin manages the game on the park, pushes players further up the park, presses every ball in the middle of the park and tries to set a tempo. He's got faults but he's got more good points than bad.

Example of that would be Dunfermline away the midweek fixture, we really couldn't get going, it took him to press a ball from a centre half and go right through him, to get us going. Folk will find fault in what he done, but it took that to get us started. Personally speaking i'd go rankin/jacobs beside Tapping/thomson (hopeful I know).

He's exactly the player I thought he would be as well and exactly what we need imo

. He's got faults but he's got more good points than bad.

Example of that would be Dunfermline away the midweek fixture, we really couldn't get going, it took him to press a ball from a centre half and go right through him, to get us going. .

If the referee had taken the correct decision and sent him off I doubt you'd be looking at that as a good point tbh.

Don Thomas a loan target for Dundee United and Falkirk If not wanted at Motherwell.

Would have  thought we would have tried to get him back.

Is a half fit James McFadden going to be are only signing.

Still time i suppose Dobbie did not sign till 3rd August last season can only hope Naysmith us just waiting till he can get his new signings in

Don Thomas a loan target for Dundee United and Falkirk If not wanted at Motherwell.
Still time i suppose Dobbie did not sign till 3rd August last season can only hope Naysmith us just waiting till he can get his new signings in

That's a good guess, given its exactly what Naysmith said.

18 hours ago, NM_1919 said:

Don't think people appreciate Rankin, yes he can be wasteful in possession as can Kyle Jacob's but he's the one who gets a slagging. John Rankin manages the game on the park, pushes players further up the park, presses every ball in the middle of the park and tries to set a tempo. He's got faults but he's got more good points than bad.

Example of that would be Dunfermline away the midweek fixture, we really couldn't get going, it took him to press a ball from a centre half and go right through him, to get us going. Folk will find fault in what he done, but it took that to get us started. Personally speaking i'd go rankin/jacobs beside Tapping/thomson (hopeful I know).

In a choice between Rankin and Jacobs I personally  know which one I prefer to start, it's Jacobs. IMO Rankin tends to drift out and in games whereas Jacobs seems to stay involved more. Jacobs has slightly more pace for getting back to cover and he's better in tackles, although he can be a bit wasteful with distribution I agree. 

56 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

We may still be trying to get Dom Thomas for all we know but the teams you mentioned will be strong contenders for his services. As far as I know McFadden hasn't signed yet. I take it you mean is he only going to be our only other signing as we have signed a some others already.