The Queen of the South thread

6 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Wouldn’t mind if Johnston got to f**k anytime soon.

We can afford to get rid of Johnston it was madness to give him s 2 year contract we panicked  going into the playoffs even if when we go down it will still cost us a lot to get rid in the close season .

We seem to be the only team on a bad run just like last season I just can't see anyone else going down 

There's always a lot of chat on here about why the crowds are dwindling and what can be done to stop this. I was looking at our squad with the recent comings and goings and was thinking that apart from Dobbie I really don't feel all that connected to any of them any more.  To be fair I've not lived in the town for over 30 years and have never been a season ticket holder, but back in the 80s I used to go to 15-20 matches a season but that's been going down fairly steadily since then to maybe half a dozen these days. 

There's reasons other than football that I don't get down to Dumfries as much as I'd like but I'm absolutely certain that the huge turnover of players every season is a big factor in my deteriorating attendance. Back in the day we seemed to have players on longer term contracts and even the occasional testimonial and you felt like you knew the likes of Andy Aitken and Jim Thomson, even Dougie Mills and he was no player, but nowadays we don't seem to be able to hang onto anyone for more than a season and a half. I know theres financial reasons for that to an extent but it seems to affect us worse than some other clubs and I'm sure I cant  be alone in feeling disconnected. This isn't a gripe about the board at all - and I'm not sure there even is a solution. 

One of the guys in the know might be able to answer this, but how did Aberdeen manage to sign the Venezuelan lad and get the international clearance and we struggled to get ours over the line for today's game

One of the guys in the know might be able to answer this, but how did Aberdeen manage to sign the Venezuelan lad and get the international clearance and we struggled to get ours over the line for today's game

Boy was playing in Norway. Which means your question is still valid

35 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

There's always a lot of chat on here about why the crowds are dwindling and what can be done to stop this. I was looking at our squad with the recent comings and goings and was thinking that apart from Dobbie I really don't feel all that connected to any of them any more.  To be fair I've not lived in the town for over 30 years and have never been a season ticket holder, but back in the 80s I used to go to 15-20 matches a season but that's been going down fairly steadily since then to maybe half a dozen these days. 

There's reasons other than football that I don't get down to Dumfries as much as I'd like but I'm absolutely certain that the huge turnover of players every season is a big factor in my deteriorating attendance. Back in the day we seemed to have players on longer term contracts and even the occasional testimonial and you felt like you knew the likes of Andy Aitken and Jim Thomson, even Dougie Mills and he was no player, but nowadays we don't seem to be able to hang onto anyone for more than a season and a half. I know theres financial reasons for that to an extent but it seems to affect us worse than some other clubs and I'm sure I cant  be alone in feeling disconnected. This isn't a gripe about the board at all - and I'm not sure there even is a solution. 

I totally agree, but doubt if that's at all unique, or even particular, to Queens.

It's simply a symptom of how football at our level does, and even almost must, now operate.  

The one thing worse than being a fan in such an insecure environment, must be being a player.

1 hour ago, steakpiegravy said:

I think you're overall point is fair, theres certainly more of a turn around of players each season. I wouldnt agree, though, that we're any more affected than other clubs at this level

14 hours ago, temps15 said:

14 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Boy was playing in Norway. Which means your question is still valid

Aberdeen's statement on signing him says he was in Paris awaiting a visa. It looks like they actually signed him several days ago to be down the road of getting a work visa. They only announced it Friday though. I guess therefore they had plenty of time to apply for and get clearance from Norway. 

All that said I am surprised our clearance didnt come through very quickly for Ledger. It usually does within Europe. Kazakhstan on the other hand, who knows? I trust both will come through early this week.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Thank for the clarification wasn't sure if this may have been the case that they had applied a few days back
Hopefully our lads are available for next weekend

Aberdeen's statement on signing him says he was in Paris awaiting a visa. It looks like they actually signed him several days ago to be down the road of getting a work visa. They only announced it Friday though. I guess therefore they had plenty of time to apply for and get clearance from Norway. 
All that said I am surprised our clearance didnt come through very quickly for Ledger. It usually does within Europe. Kazakhstan on the other hand, who knows? I trust both will come through early this week.

Why did Queens not try and get the 2 players to sign on Monday or Tuesday  yet another cock up 

The injured players when will any of them be back or is that a secret  Kilday Osman Mercer and Murray  don't need if AJ says anything about them in his interview just can't listen to him talking the same crap every week .Really pissed off watching Queens just now we have nothing even Dobbie looks pissed off on him why the hell does he hit free kicks and now corners yet to see him hit a good free kick or corner .

Like last season Queens are again on free fall only the happy clappers will see a way out to me we look certain to finish bottom of the  league 

It feels a bit like a school team who only has one good player and he takes every set piece.

You'd think we'd practise set pieces. After yesterday's abject performance it's a priority.

Why did Queens not try and get the 2 players to sign on Monday or Tuesday  yet another cock up 
The injured players when will any of them be back or is that a secret  Kilday Osman Mercer and Murray  don't need if AJ says anything about them in his interview just can't listen to him talking the same crap every week .Really pissed off watching Queens just now we have nothing even Dobbie looks pissed off on him why the hell does he hit free kicks and now corners yet to see him hit a good free kick or corner .
Like last season Queens are again on free fall only the happy clappers will see a way out to me we look certain to finish bottom of the  league 

5 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

It feels a bit like a school team who only has one good player and he takes every set piece.

I've often thought that.

El Bakhtoui was on corners for a while, but that's obviously had to change.    The free kicks are frustrating - they nearly always go straight into the wall.  I remember Dobbie scoring one against Linfield, but I'm struggling to think of many others.

You'd think we'd practise set pieces. After yesterday's abject performance it's a priority.
I've often thought that.
El Bakhtoui was on corners for a while, but that's obviously had to change.    The free kicks are frustrating - they nearly always go straight into the wall.  I remember Dobbie scoring one against Linfield, but I'm struggling to think of many others.
I said this last week I'm sure. I love Dobbie but his FKs are terrible. When we got that FK yesterday I never even changed position and said to my pal "Well, over the bar or hitting the wall, take your pick".

I said this last week I'm sure. I love Dobbie but his FKs are terrible. When we got that FK yesterday I never even changed position and said to my pal "Well, over the bar or hitting the wall, take your pick".
The one that seemed to have a routine but he smashed it into the wall, aye shite. At one point I said to boy next to me when he was talking a corner that he'd be as well punting out for a goal kick. I'd imagine that Dunfermline got more goals from corners yesterday than we've had all season.

Ah, AJ has the solution...'we need to improve'! I knew something was wrong yesterday! He comes away with the same crap each week, and the same excuses/reasons, so why not sort it out? Okay we were short of bodies yesterday but on yesterday's performance that's not a play off team we were watching, that's the automatic relegation team.  For next week's visit to Cappielow, we can only improve, can't we?