The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

Interesing article on the financial struggles across the Championship at the moment.

Another one here

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/18948883.david-hopkin-paid-morton-players-wages-pocket/?fbclid=IwAR03jzF7H-mZtsNkcSWibKNE89symS1yP7b2hV0sG7J0YRjxOzKTswdWEHQ

Guest TOPFITTER
4 hours ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

Sorry but I have no sympathy for Football businesses who put themselves in financial jeapordy!  It is an ongoing problem whether in Pandemic times or more normal. How pathetic to be looking for bail-outs when you know beforehand the precarious nature of the business and the more extraordinary pre-knowledge of a world-wide pandemic with no clear end in sight. Dumfries and Galloway has lost thousands of jobs due to Companies facing trading/business uncertainty with no Government hand-outs given or public support for them over the years, those made redundant must be sickened by the “Football Cries For Help”

It is then a credit to Queen of the South FC and their fans that little or no bleating for financial assistance is heard and this is due to Financial Prudence and playing with a squad thus weakened in comparisons to the profligate success seekers. I support “Queens” Success or Failure by Our Own Efforts and thereby their more than likely financial Survival.

Is it FAIR to outspend others to buy success at their expense and then bleat for Public Finance Bail-out ? I think NOT.

I must admit to being astounded when football restarted at our level in the midst of the Covid pandemic. I couldn’t see any plausible scenario where the numbers could conceivably stack up and I assumed that I must have been missing the point. It seems not and while everybody is hoping for a happy ending I have no idea where it is going to come from.

Yes an October start at our level was ridiculous and thoroughly unnecessary.

Football, unlike lots of industries, could have entered a period of effectively being mothballed, certainly at levels where TV and sponsorship would fail to plug the gap.  

In the current circumstances, there are many, many far more deserving causes than football clubs.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for Football businesses who put themselves in financial jeapordy!  It is an ongoing problem whether in Pandemic times or more normal. How pathetic to be looking for bail-outs when you know beforehand the precarious nature of the business and the more extraordinary pre-knowledge of a world-wide pandemic with no clear end in sight. Dumfries and Galloway has lost thousands of jobs due to Companies facing trading/business uncertainty with no Government hand-outs given or public support for them over the years, those made redundant must be sickened by the “Football Cries For Help”
It is then a credit to Queen of the South FC and their fans that little or no bleating for financial assistance is heard and this is due to Financial Prudence and playing with a squad thus weakened in comparisons to the profligate success seekers. I support “Queens” Success or Failure by Our Own Efforts and thereby their more than likely financial Survival.
Is it FAIR to outspend others to buy success at their expense and then bleat for Public Finance Bail-out ? I think NOT.

Could we have yet another “Great Escape” this season should some Championship clubs find themselves in financial meltdown?!

19 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Could we have yet another “Great Escape” this season should some Championship clubs find themselves in financial meltdown?!

Have you got Enoch Powel as you profile picture?

4 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I must admit to being astounded when football restarted at our level in the midst of the Covid pandemic. I couldn’t see any plausible scenario where the numbers could conceivably stack up and I assumed that I must have been missing the point. It seems not and while everybody is hoping for a happy ending I have no idea where it is going to come from.

It only made sense for clubs who already had a fairly large number of players already under contract. At the time they voted to resume, furlough was scheduled to cease at the end of October. Therefore, those clubs would have wanted the season to start so they at least got some income to cover the wages they were already committed to. The alternative would have been to make those players redundant. I’m not sure how easy that is in circumstances other than administration.
It made no sense for clubs like ours that only had a couple of players on the books, or other clubs who made a lot of signings, especially ones that look like they were based on normal income levels.

Are QoS in relegation trouble, 2 mini leagues in the Championship already. big game this weekend and Championship discussion

Are QOS in relegation trouble?

Nah we’re so talented we’ve decided to give those chasing promotion a bit of a start to keep things interesting as the season goes on.

59 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Are QOS in relegation trouble?

Nah we’re so talented we’ve decided to give those chasing promotion a bit of a start to keep things interesting as the season goes on.

Less than a 3rd of the season gone, winnable game on Saturday which would put you 3 points behind Morton, are you already writing off hopes of doing anything other than battling? 

8 minutes ago, ThroughtheTurnstiles said:

Interesting shout, what do you think of team selection based on the players you have and recruitment overall? Easy in hindsight but were the majority of QoS fans optimistic going into this season?

There's not much room for varying the line-up really,  it's more about the tactics of the management,  attitude and ability of the players we have that has makes  many,  maybe the majority,  of Queens fans think we're doomed,  and were before a ball was kicked.  Add to that we've just escaped the drop for the past two seasons, and had to recruit a squad of players about two weeks before the Betfred cup started, a few untried at this level, and a shortage of defenders. We've also got a Manager who doesn't seem to be able to change things when things are not going right, and is generally reluctant make subs until late in the game. So NO,  we were far from optimistic going into this season. 

50 minutes ago, ThroughtheTurnstiles said:

Less than a 3rd of the season gone, winnable game on Saturday which would put you 3 points behind Morton, are you already writing off hopes of doing anything other than battling? 

^^^ Didn’t see the ICT game on tv type post imo.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

^^^ Didn’t see the ICT game on tv type post imo.

I’ve seen a fair amount of Queen of the South, both on TV and live but think it’s early to be consigning yourself to a relegation battle.

Admittedly 7 points off top half but Clyde are the same number off the play offs in L1, Partick are 6 off top - these teams won’t be writing off hopes yet

Transfer window opens in a couple of weeks so some business could still be done 

23 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

There's not much room for varying the line-up really,  it's more about the tactics of the management,  attitude and ability of the players we have that has makes  many,  maybe the majority,  of Queens fans think we're doomed,  and were before a ball was kicked.  Add to that we've just escaped the drop for the past two seasons, and had to recruit a squad of players about two weeks before the Betfred cup started, a few untried at this level, and a shortage of defenders. We've also got a Manager who doesn't seem to be able to change things when things are not going right, and is generally reluctant make subs until late in the game. So NO,  we were far from optimistic going into this season. 

Was the manager better in his 1st stint? If so, what do you think has changed? Agreed you have a lack of numbers at the back and could maybe use a ball winner in midfield as there are a few technically decent players in there?

3 minutes ago, ThroughtheTurnstiles said:

I’ve seen a fair amount of Queen of the South, both on TV and live but think it’s early to be consigning yourself to a relegation battle.

Admittedly 7 points off top half but Clyde are the same number off the play offs in L1, Partick are 6 off top - these teams won’t be writing off hopes yet

Transfer window opens in a couple of weeks so some business could still be done 

It was more the idea that you could have seen the ICT game and subsequently accuse our players of battling that confused me.

4 minutes ago, ThroughtheTurnstiles said:

Was the manager better in his 1st stint? If so, what do you think has changed? Agreed you have a lack of numbers at the back and could maybe use a ball winner in midfield as there are a few technically decent players in there?

The manager was no better he inherited a great squad and won league one with the only full time team in the league..Think I could have managed that quality team and would have done as well. It was a top squad with likes of Carmichael Reilly N Clark Durnan Holt & Mcshane all moving to higher league teams after that season also had like a of Robinson in goal and experience like McGuffie & Higgins. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

He had a side that I could have managed and still skooshed the league in his first spell. The fact you have more faith in us surviving than our own manager does says it's all about his time now.

Don’t get me wrong, I think we all predicted Queen of the South to struggle and I’m not backing the managers recruitment / playing style.

The initial query was about asking if Queens are in a relegation battle which is legitimate given the relative infancy of the season.

The answer seems to be a resounding ‘yes’ which is fair enough. I think that Queens are in a battle but, I think that with the correct coaching and motivation (which may be the issue) they’ve got an 11 that is good enough to survive