The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Would happily not see any of the two striking options again. We badly need our last 2/3 signings to be of quality, not making up numbers which I feel them two would. 

Was thinking last night that I'd rather MB hangs fire and sees what's available striker wise in the loan market rather than waste a wage on a player just to make up the bodies. 

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Pitch looks great of course but noticeable a lot of players, especially early on, were slipping over. I assume that's a combination of the new-ness and the fact it was heavily watered before the warm ups and then briefly watered again between warm ups and kick off. A reaction presumably to the difficultly of playing on the very dry pitch at East Kilbride a couple of weeks ago.

Aye it was good watching a game at Palmerston and not commenting at any point on how shite the surface is. I was watching the ball move for the first 5 minutes or so but soon forgot, so it's clearly playing well. There weren't any noticeable bobbles or weird bounces. Looked and played brilliantly. Long may it continue! 

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye it was good watching a game at Palmerston and not commenting at any point on how shite the surface is. I was watching the ball move for the first 5 minutes or so but soon forgot, so it's clearly playing well. There weren't any noticeable bobbles or weird bounces. Looked and played brilliantly. Long may it continue! 

Just a pity the seagulls are still there crapping all over the place though!

44 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Just a pity the seagulls are still there crapping all over the place though!

They're not. Not on the pitch anyway. The new lasers are doing their job and preventing them roosting. Fascinating watching it in action last night after everyone had left. There should hopefully be another machine up and running soon which stops them going in the old stand.

1 minute ago, Dougie Mills said:

They were still buzzing about and dropping just in front of the “new” stand but I appreciate there is only so much you can do to prevent this!

There's not a thing you can do to stop that at this time of year. They'll go where crowds of people might drop food and there are still nests on the roofs that will be dealt with and netting put up to stop it as soon as this year's "crop" are gone.

They're not roosting overnight on the pitch though which is a huge step forward and will save a lot of work daily in clearing up after them. If they don't roost on the pitch they are hopefully less likely to nest on the stands anyway. They were noticeably scared off by the lasers as soon as they went on last night.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There's not a thing you can do to stop that at this time of year. They'll go where crowds of people might drop food and there are still nests on the roofs that will be dealt with and netting put up to stop it as soon as this year's "crop" are gone.

They're not roosting overnight on the pitch though which is a huge step forward and will save a lot of work daily in clearing up after them. If they don't roost on the pitch they are hopefully less likely to nest on the stands anyway. They were noticeably scared off by the lasers as soon as they went on last night.

Fingers crossed!

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

How do the lasers work? Have never heard of such a thing but hopefully it works. If folk could stop being slobs it may also help getting rid of them, I have more faith in the lasers than the latter though, sadly. 

Good to see a post match interview on YouTube. Certainly wasn't expecting it after a friendly but it was a good wee update. 

Reassuring somewhat that MB is still looking to bring in 4/5 players though doesn't know if that'll be loans or permanents yet. Another friendly as well on 15th against Marlow. Had no idea who they were tbh but that's a helluva distance for a friendly. Perhaps they have a few games arranged up here. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

How do the lasers work? Have never heard of such a thing but hopefully it works. If folk could stop being slobs it may also help getting rid of them, I have more faith in the lasers than the latter though, sadly. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-IdT15HoO0&t=10s

A bit like this, though that's not the same system we have.

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Good to see a post match interview on YouTube. Certainly wasn't expecting it after a friendly but it was a good wee update. 

Reassuring somewhat that MB is still looking to bring in 4/5 players though doesn't know if that'll be loans or permanents yet. Another friendly as well on 15th against Marlow. Had no idea who they were tbh but that's a helluva distance for a friendly. Perhaps they have a few games arranged up here. 

Didn't realise he'd mentioned that publicly. As far as I know it's closed door but I guess it may be treated like last night's was. I'd suggest you check out who their manager is. 😉

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-IdT15HoO0&t=10s

A bit like this, though that's not the same system we have.

Didn't realise he'd mentioned that publicly. As far as I know it's closed door but I guess it may be treated like last night's was. I'd suggest you check out who their manager is. 😉

Cheers. That's quite remarkable, I wouldn't have thought a lazer would have such an effect. 

Ah, that'll explain such a random friendly! 

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Cheers. That's quite remarkable, I wouldn't have thought a lazer would have such an effect. 

Ah, that'll explain such a random friendly! 

Can't be arsed checking, who is their Manager? 

22 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Connolly and Reilly (and maybe even Doherty) will no doubt chip in with the odd goal now and again, but not enough to trouble the top four places.

Falkirk finished 2nd last season with a top scorer with 12 goals.  The top scorer in the Division played for a side outside the top 4.

While I'd love to see us sign a 20 goal striker, they're pretty rare at this level and it may be better to have a target man up front with two or three of the "midfielders" getting into double figures?  I get the feeling this is the set up Marvin is looking for.

1 hour ago, Biblemaster said:

Falkirk finished 2nd last season with a top scorer with 12 goals.  The top scorer in the Division played for a side outside the top 4.

While I'd love to see us sign a 20 goal striker, they're pretty rare at this level and it may be better to have a target man up front with two or three of the "midfielders" getting into double figures?  I get the feeling this is the set up Marvin is looking for.

Airdrie finished 3rd. 😉

Agree with the rest of that though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

Yep, pretty well what I acknowledged later in my original post.  To do serious damage at the top end of the table though, I think you need a striker who can hit at least the 10 mark and I don't see that presently in the squad.  That said, it sounds as though Marvin's business isn't finished yet though so let's wait and see.  I'm genuinely looking forward to how the team sets out this season under Marvin though - and with more enthusiasm than in recent seasons.

18 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

Marvin’s brother.

Ah, thanks for that, makes sense now. 

Edit to add: Thought I'd posted this reply yesterday tbh, technology and old age don't always work  in sync.