The Queen of the South thread

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

An attempt at humour. Apologies if it caused offence. 

Acht it's okay. 

It gets on my tits slightly, as I do audio-descriptive commentary for blind and partially sighted fans. 

18 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Stevie Wonder could see we need a goalscorer. Knowing that and finding one are different things though. 

Need to create chances for a goalscorer also. We created absolutely nowt clear cut. Looked a tired team to me. Defence comfortable enough, I like wee Logan but killing us having two right footed players down left hand side. Todd sits out for me, so many backwards passes and slowing game down compared to Minmaugh who is clever and progressive, don’t get me wrong there’s a couple of wayward but least he’s the balls to try it. Walker needs a bit of work, Mckechnie needs to drive at players more often, causes havoc when he does and it’s doesn’t happen enough. Connelly busy without doing much. Tbh I thought reilly was isolated tonight. Fair play to east fife though organised and frustrated us all night.

please send Ross Irving out on loan 

1 minute ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Acht it's okay. 

It gets on my tits slightly, as I do audio-descriptive commentary for blind and partially sighted fans. 

Tonight’s referee would have benefited from audio-descriptive commentary. 

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

Tonight’s referee would have benefited from audio-descriptive commentary. 

I thought Healy's booking was harsh, he got a couple wrong. Would need to see the red card back again. 

3 minutes ago, Rouky said:

Not a great result tonight but having 7 players unavailable is hardly ideal. 

How many of the 7 will  availble for the Alloa game this is the worry only looking like the suspended  2 from tonight will be back  

That was dismal.

Playing against a side that were content to let us have the ball, just exposed a lack of invention and incisiveness.  

Hopefully, returning players, and the odd new one, can make a difference, as nobody fancies watching many more performances like that.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That was dismal.

Playing against a side that were content to let us have the ball, just exposed a lack of invention and incisiveness.  

Hopefully, returning players, and the odd new one, can make a difference, as nobody fancies watching many more performances like that.

Yeah, hard to see much encouraging tonight. As entertainment it was truly dreadful. It was everything the Motherwell game wasn't. Even Elgin on Saturday for long spells was better than that but I suspect that's because Elgin fundamentally aren't as good as East Fife.

On the positive side we completely controlled the game for at least the first 75 minutes. I don't think East Fife even had a shot of note did they before the free kick from the red card? On the negative side, we did almost nothing with it. There was a Reilly header 2nd half he might have done better with, a Logan shot when we were already down to 10 I think that looked netbound till a defender blocked, and a late free kick across the face of goal. East Fife were very well organised and presumably came to try to stifle the game, which they duly did. All credit to them, we lacked the guile to unlock them. Others have said it looked a tired performance and that's fair I think. We've played 3 games in 8 days and, due to lack of senior players and the games all being close to the end, we've effectively had to rely on the same 13 players. We're missing 7 players tonight, at least 3 or 4 of whom would have started and others who could have impacted from the bench. Our bench tonight had Craig McGuffie, Ross Irving and 7 teenagers, 5 of whom have never played a first team game and another, Ben Johnstone, has 3 sub appearances. There was limited option to change things positively.

The sending off was an utterly ridiculous decision. It's never a red card in 6 months' of Sundays. It's as cynical a yellow card as you'll ever see. In fact he could have got two yellows and gone off for them and I'd have no great complaint, one for the initial foul on Slattery after the error and one for the trip from behind. But he didn't, he got a straight red for denial of a goalscoring opportunity. There were two other defenders there! It's a laughably bad call from the ref. It changed the balance of the play but not sure it actually changed the outcome. We didn't look like scoring with eleven before it anyway.

I was too far away from the penalties but my son behind the goal was adamant Fleming was way off his line on all of them. He obviously got made to face one of them again. I've seen a couple of folk saying we should be practicing penalties but to be honest we've scored 7 of 9 so not sure the taking of penalties is the issue. Gordon unfortunately didn't save any of the ten he faced.

Sadly we're as good as out now and indeed if we don't beat Queen's Park we'll finish 4th in the group, despite not losing yet. Annoying.

10 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Need to create chances for a goalscorer also. We created absolutely nowt clear cut. Looked a tired team to me. Defence comfortable enough, I like wee Logan but killing us having two right footed players down left hand side. Todd sits out for me, so many backwards passes and slowing game down compared to Minmaugh who is clever and progressive, don’t get me wrong there’s a couple of wayward but least he’s the balls to try it. Walker needs a bit of work, Mckechnie needs to drive at players more often, causes havoc when he does and it’s doesn’t happen enough. Connelly busy without doing much. Tbh I thought reilly was isolated tonight. Fair play to east fife though organised and frustrated us all night.

please send Ross Irving out on loan 

Wonder if the left footed Finlay Kennedy will get back into the squad after returning from holiday. He certainly impressed pre-season. 

17 hours ago, lowland star said:

Was told today we will be bring in a centrehalf on loan from one of the old firm if true could be a game changer and maybe a striker from same team as well it will be after this weekend  thou . 
I said this last night I called the person who told me and he said no the guy coming in is from other side of old firm and it will be a bigger signing which will have people talking .90% done for defender and 70% done for striker ( both Hugh potential) 

A fair few good prospects in that Rangers B team and with them not playing in the lowland league this season I'd imagine a few of them will go out on loan.

Thought we'd have had a few in given how much gametime we gave Kennedy & Alegria last season.

Edited by FFC 1876

As per the match feedback on here, around 70% possession, 9 corners to none (when I last checked near the end) and no goals scored against a lower league side at home ... pretty well sums up most folks fears watching the assembly of this squad over the summer ... ie decent at the back/midfield but little goal threat up front. We're unlikely to trouble the playoffs unless we can fix this - which I'm sure Marvin is very much aware of.

9 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

As per the match feedback on here, around 70% possession, 9 corners to none (when I last checked near the end) and no goals scored against a lower league side at home ... pretty well sums up most folks fears watching the assembly of this squad over the summer ... ie decent at the back/midfield but little goal threat up front. We're unlikely to trouble the playoffs unless we can fix this - which I'm sure Marvin is very much aware of.

I get the "no goal threat up front" that a few are complaining about, but tbf we didn't exactly set up a lot of chances, Reilly's glancing header was about the best iirc. Too much neat inter-passing between our defenders and midfielders gave East Fife time to get bodies back behind the ball, when we did find our wide men they were well martialled by the defenders. We had a good spell just before the (very harsh) red card when we were well on top but after that it was hoping to hold out and rely on getting through the penalty shoot-out. Not wanting to be labelled a "lump it forward" advocate but East Fife would be delighted to sit back and watch us pass it about in our own half without troubling them too much. Still a very, very slight chance of progressing but realistically it's the start of the League campaign that Marv should be fully concentrating on now. 

49 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I get the "no goal threat up front" that a few are complaining about, but tbf we didn't exactly set up a lot of chances, Reilly's glancing header was about the best iirc. Too much neat inter-passing between our defenders and midfielders gave East Fife time to get bodies back behind the ball, when we did find our wide men they were well martialled by the defenders. We had a good spell just before the (very harsh) red card when we were well on top but after that it was hoping to hold out and rely on getting through the penalty shoot-out. Not wanting to be labelled a "lump it forward" advocate but East Fife would be delighted to sit back and watch us pass it about in our own half without troubling them too much. Still a very, very slight chance of progressing but realistically it's the start of the League campaign that Marv should be fully concentrating on now. 

Yes, this.

It would be harsh to put all the blame on our front players for our failure to score last night.  We created next to nothing.

So the problem is probably a mixture of lack of creativity from the midfield and also lacking threat in the front players ... it still distills down to an overall lack of goal threat from whatever source and that looks like being our Achilles heel this season.

PS ... what age are Dobbie's boys now ...? 😎

Tonight's results weren't helpful to us in terms of sneaking through the League Cup again. We really needed to win last night. If we had done it would be in our own hands.

To get through, we first need to finish 2nd obviously (we can't win the group, at least one of Motherwell and East Fife will get at least 9 points). Finishing 2nd is in our own hands as long as East Fife don't beat Motherwell on penalties. If they did so both of them would finish on 9 points. Any other result lets us get 2nd on 8 points with an outright win at Queen's Park. Winning on penalties may also get us 2nd as long as Motherwell win outright but it won't get us through. There's no scenario where 7 points gets a best runner up.

If we win by a single goal we need five of the seven below to happen:

• Stirling not to beat St Johnstone outright.
  • Either Falkirk not to beat Peterhead by four goal margin or Partick Thistle and Spartans to draw in 90 mins
  • Livingston to lose in 90 mins to Clyde
  • Morton to lose in 90 mins to Edinburgh AND Kelty Hearts not to win outright at Ross County
  • Dundee not to beat Inverness outright.
  • Kilmarnock to lose outright to Albion Rovers AND Raith Rovers not to win outright v Annan
  • St Mirren to lose to Forfar either outright or on penalties AND Montrose not to beat Arbroath by a four goal margin.

If we won by at least 3 we'd finish better than Dunfermline so wouldn't need both Kilmarnock and Raith Rovers results, one of them would suffice. It would also equally change the relevant margins for Falkirk and Montrose wins obviously.

Snookers required...........