The Queen of the South thread

Strange one. The saddest thing about this news is that I'm not that bothered by it. If Wilson could stay fit for more than a handful of games at a time I'd be devastated but the reality is he's just too injury prone to get a good run of games for us. It's a strange punt from Morton given that fact and I'm hoping they have to pay some of his wages so it frees up more for us. 

If fit, Wilson  would walk into any team in our league.

Surprised and disappointed if this is true as he would be a real asset to us.

If this turns out to be true, hope this doesn't come back to bite Bartley on the derriere.

7 minutes ago, bod said:

If fit, Wilson  would walk into any team in our league.

Surprised and disappointed if this is true as he would be a real asset to us.

If this turns out to be true, hope this doesn't come back to bite Bartley on the derriere.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That sounds disappointing, because he can be an important played for us, when capable of playing.

You'd assume though, that he must be close to fitness if Morton are interested.

I'm not completely shocked by it. I can understand MB offering him out given his injuries. He can't really plan around a player with the fitness issues IW has so it may be better to let him go. 

If we don't go up it won't be because we let Wilson go tbh. 

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're probably right.

If he managed a run of games for Morton and did well though, it would look like an odd decision.

Definitely. I'd wager it won't happen though such is the guy's awful luck :(

Marv said before the Alloa game that he was still getting pain from his foot injury when turning  that is the only reason why he is not in the 1st team squad .

Has played about 10 mins this season .

A fit Wilson would get into most championship teams never mind League 1.

It's a strange one in the sense that MB must be happy to let him go out with presumably question marks over his fitness but DI is happy to bring him in, presumably assuming his fitness isn't an issue, I doubt we are signing him to sit on our treatment table as opposed to yours 

Time will tell I guess.

He was very good for us last time around, ironically once he got match fit.

We've had Wilson with us for at least a couple of spells.  As others have said, when fit he's an asset, no argument and particularly so at L1.  The problem is that he never stays fit for a decent run of games, it just doesn't happen - and its a shame for him.

Initially this will shock most Queens fans - but I think we're starting to see the measure of Marvin Bartley the manager here.  It's becoming clear that he doesn't mess about, doesn't sit on any fences, doesn't prevaricate, doesn't carry passengers - the guy makes decisions (either during or outside of a match), and quickly as he knows his tenure can be short if he doesn't.  Don't know about others but I think its a refreshing change. He's going to get a few of these wrong now and then but hopefully more right than wrong.

47 minutes ago, madton said:

It's a strange one in the sense that MB must be happy to let him go out with presumably question marks over his fitness but DI is happy to bring him in, presumably assuming his fitness isn't an issue, I doubt we are signing him to sit on our treatment table as opposed to yours 

Time will tell I guess.

He was very good for us last time around, ironically once he got match fit.

Maybe with a Championship level budget you guys can take the (fitness) risk ... it looks as though we can't at our current level.

Disappointing that we never really saw the best of Wilson for a sustained period since he came back to us. As has been highlighted already he has been unlucky with injuries, maybe a result of his style of play. Maybe of course he didn't fancy another season in League 1. I don't think Imrie would take a gamble if he wasn't sure of getting game time from him. As for ourselves, we really need Cochrane to steer clear of injury and suspension (a tall order) if Wilson is not available to step in. 

37 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

If Wilson isn’t fit enough to play regularly in L1, how can he possibly be fit enough to play regularly in the Championship?

On top of that, it seems crazy that Morton’s squad of 17, currently with only 4 defenders, needs… yet another deep-lying midfielder.

Can he play centre-half?

No.

I think it was in the first game of his second loan spell with us that Johnston played him at centre-back - Brownlie had just been transferred to Thistle and Kilday was injured so we were short of bodies.  Let's just say it didn't go well.  I don't think he's ever played in that position again, certainly not with Queens.

51 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Just seen a clip of Verane's celebration after scoring for Manchester United last night  Then checked the Sky Sports App, and don't see a Yellow Card against his name. One rule for some?

Neither did Wighton for giving it 'the ears' to the Utd fans after he scoring and running in their direction.* Rules are rules but you'd like to think referees could use some discretion. 

* Not that I'd want him to be. If fans can dish it out they should be able to take some back. 

9 hours ago, Slipmat said:

No.

I think it was in the first game of his second loan spell with us that Johnston played him at centre-back - Brownlie had just been transferred to Thistle and Kilday was injured so we were short of bodies.  Let's just say it didn't go well.  I don't think he's ever played in that position again, certainly not with Queens.

Coudn't remember the details but knew he had played at least one game at cb, which, as you say wasn't a great success.