The Queen of the South thread

57 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Neil Warnock, 74, says he has received numerous offers to manage in Scotland and has revealed that he would love a "backs to the wall" type job should he ever make the move north of the border. (Hibs Observer via Football Scotland)

How about it ? !

By all means enjoy it, but enjoy it by being fookin disciplined 'ere

I can’t honestly believe that the Club could contemplate having MB in post for next match. Admittedly the cup match is surely a write off barring a monumental shock but   the prospect of him continuing at the helm for League business is surely not an option?

Looking at the league table we are one of 4 clubs who are relegation candidates. With new Manager, FC Edinburgh are not a lost cause by any means , Annan look at least on a par with us as are Stirling. Don’t see Alloa being dragged into the scrap so we are two of 4 obvious candidates. The rest of the teams certainly look noticeably stronger than the current bottom 4 barring a turnaround.

BOD have stabilised the club financially which is no mean feat given our dreadful attendances in past few seasons but a relegation to L2 on their watch is unthinkable but far from impossible.

Harking back to earlier posts about Marvin staying but bringing in an old head as Assistant, that is perhaps something that should have been considered when he was first appointed but he was stuck with Grant Murray. I would think Marvin would have to have a say on who the "old head" was, he needs someone who he respects and can work with. He must have contacts in the game to find someone to fit the bill. We could even head down the experienced DoF route leaving Marvin as Head Coach, maybe a bit OTT considering the situation we're in and level were playing at, it would probably also incur more cost. It's maybe too far down the line now to save Marvin's job anyway given what he's said about some players' attitude, even though a few could do with buckling down and accepting some home truths.  A shame if it ends in acrymony, he was an exciting and popular appointment at the time. 

10 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I can’t honestly believe that the Club could contemplate having MB in post for next match. Admittedly the cup match is surely a write off barring a monumental shock but   the prospect of him continuing at the helm for League business is surely not an option?

Looking at the league table we are one of 4 clubs who are relegation candidates. With new Manager, FC Edinburgh are not a lost cause by any means , Annan look at least on a par with us as are Stirling. Don’t see Alloa being dragged into the scrap so we are two of 4 obvious candidates. The rest of the teams certainly look noticeably stronger than the current bottom 4 barring a turnaround.

BOD have stabilised the club financially which is no mean feat given our dreadful attendances in past few seasons but a relegation to L2 on their watch is unthinkable but far from impossible.

The board have already said we will again lose a  six sum a from last season and that is even doing well in the Viaplay Cup and having a cup tie with Rangers .

This season we are on course to lose almost double what we lost last season.

Only thing keeping us going is the £500,00 covid money  we received from the Gov which is disappearing fast .

We are talking  upwards of £50,000 to sack Marvin then get another manager in you are writing off the best part of £100,00 with no guarantee we will be any better .

We as a club are heading down fast in every way somehow or somebody has to try and put the brakes on

18 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Harking back to earlier posts about Marvin staying but bringing in an old head as Assistant, that is perhaps something that should have been considered when he was first appointed but he was stuck with Grant Murray. I would think Marvin would have to have a say on who the "old head" was, he needs someone who he respects and can work with. He must have contacts in the game to find someone to fit the bill. We could even head down the experienced DoF route leaving Marvin as Head Coach, maybe a bit OTT considering the situation we're in and level were playing at, it would probably also incur more cost. It's maybe too far down the line now to save Marvin's job anyway given what he's said about some players' attitude, even though a few could do with buckling down and accepting some home truths.  A shame if it ends in acrymony, he was an exciting and popular appointment at the time. 

It's gone beyond that after Saturday.

Even if it hadn't , it wouldn't work or be acceptable to Bartley.  I think one of his major weaknesses is his unwillingness to listen to others. Unless ,of course , you are an expert in Gaming  injuries !

55 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I don’t understand why we would want to contemplate retaining MB as Head Coach when his mis-management of the playing side has put us in such a dire position. Unless I am missing something there are literally no positives!!

I think many supporters thought he was the “real deal” when he arrived (I wasn’t one of them because I don’t set much store on excessive rhetoric from a novice Manager who has no track record) but the penny has well and truly dropped now. You only need to listen to the true diehards in the Travel Club to get a feel for supporters’ sentiment and these guys “live and breathe QOS”.

I wish the guy well but the future can’t be with us ………….can it????

24 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I don’t understand why we would want to contemplate retaining MB as Head Coach when his mis-management of the playing side has put us in such a dire position. Unless I am missing something there are literally no positives!!

I think many supporters thought he was the “real deal” when he arrived (I wasn’t one of them because I don’t set much store on excessive rhetoric from a novice Manager who has no track record) but the penny has well and truly dropped now. You only need to listen to the true diehards in the Travel Club to get a feel for supporters’ sentiment and these guys “live and breathe QOS”.

I wish the guy well but the future can’t be with us ………….can it????

I've followed Queens long before there was a Travel Club,  and have travelled with them, but no need to be a member of that to have strong feelings for the club. 

Going to be an interesting 12 days or so between now and the game away to Accies.  This will tell us the board's priorities and drivers.

- The board may see control of finances as key, and so they may try to stick with Marvin/Murray and accept the risk of a drop to L2.  In this case they will no doubt point to the fact that they have maintained FT status for two seasons in L1 - OK, but others might say that yes it's FT status but with the lowest FT budget in the league and for all we know it could be a budget less than some PT teams.  We know that the board are extremely frugal given that they spend zip on upkeep of our ageing stadium ... they will say that the pitch has been replaced (I think a grant helped this tbf) and that the floodlights were upgraded a couple of years ago ... both of these facts are true but we all (and most away fans) know that the actual state of the spectator areas are in poor condition.

- Alternatively the board may be of a view similar to many if not most of the Queens fans and think that this is now an irretrievable (managerial) situation and that action has to be taken (despite the cost) to avoid the dreaded drop.

Whichever way they go (stick or twist) I've no doubt that some very interesting discussions are happening just now.  The fact that we're not hearing anything today or tomorrow or this week doesn't mean that the debate isn't raging at board level.  Stay tuned folks.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I've followed Queens long before there was a Travel Club,  and have travelled with them, but no need to be a member of that to have strong feelings for the club. 

I am not in any way questioning your feelings for the club I am questioning why on earth we would want to create an exorbitant cost structure to accommodate MB as head coach?

18 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I am not in any way questioning your feelings for the club I am questioning why on earth we would want to create an exorbitant cost structure to accommodate MB as head coach?

Agree with this.  I think the cost involved in creating another layer of football management would outweigh any benefits that might be derived from it.   Cheaper to dispense with our manager (and his assistant), and recruit someone else.  I think he now knows his time is up and is just waiting for the inevitable.

6 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Even if you keep him and you stay up has his recruitment been good enough to even warrant next season? Seems unjustifiable to keep him from an unbiased POV.

Our recruitment has been woeful for several seasons now, hence the steady decline to the lower levels of the Championship, to relegation and now a continuing slide down L1.  This has been evident across more than one manager's tenure so it could perhaps be argued that the root cause has been a perception (I don't know the actual details obviously) that this decline and poor recruitment has in part been related to a steadily reducing annual player budget driven by a board that sets financial control/survival (and it could be argued not unreasonably by some) as its utmost priority.

There is also no doubt that good recruitment is one of the top attributes for a manager at this level of football - that ability to spot a player, and to play that player in the right position.  So perhaps its also been a weakness of our recent managers (not just Marvin) in addition to having a steadily reducing budget to work with - who knows?

What we do know is that we are in a mess.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Our recruitment has been woeful for several seasons now, hence the steady decline to the lower levels of the Championship, to relegation and now a continuing slide down L1.  This has been evident across more than one manager's tenure so it could perhaps be argued that the root cause has been a perception (I don't know the actual details obviously) that this decline and poor recruitment has in part been related to a steadily reducing annual player budget driven by a board that sets financial control/survival (and it could be argued not unreasonably by some) as its utmost priority.

There is also no doubt that good recruitment is one of the top attributes for a manager at this level of football - that ability to spot a player, and to play that player in the right position.  So perhaps its also been a weakness of our recent managers (not just Marvin) in addition to having a steadily reducing budget to work with - who knows?

What we do know is that we are in a mess.

Hopefully doesnt last as long as ours, we as much as anyone know how depressing it can be and genuinely wouldn't wish downwards spirals like these on any club.

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Hopefully doesnt last as long as ours, we as much as anyone know how depressing it can be and genuinely wouldn't wish downwards spirals like these on any club.

Falkirk's case has been funny for any outsiders. But in all honesty it's always been similar to Rangers being put in League 2. Everyone (apart from Falkirk fans at the time perhaps) knew the misery was never going to last. Falkirk's budget was always going to help you get out of this mess eventually. A manger had the luxury of knowing he was in the market for decent quality players. It was always about your BoD finally getting their act together and appointing the right man. 

Sadly our case is far more depressing. We aren't in the same recruitment ball park. We'll get the dregs of FT players for the most part as our crowds are so poor. Unless our next manager is someone who a lot of players really respect* and want to work for then it'll be the same story next season regardless of who's in charge. That's why I think the move to PT/Hybrid really wouldn't be a negative step. 

* Not a dig at Bartley. I'm not at the stage of flinging personal insults at the guy. 

Had I been typing this this time last week I would have said that the board, who have been incredibly lenient with our last few managers despite a relentless stream of poor results, may have been looking at sticking with Bartley until after the Stirling game which closes the second round of fixtures.  We just have to remember how long Johnston stank the place out and clung on to his job - he should probably have been sent packing 4 or 5 months before they finally acted.

Bartley's catastrophic interview on Saturday night has surely hastened his departure though.  There's no coming back from that as far as I can see.  I can only assume that board are currently putting feelers out regarding potential replacements and hoping that a deal can be done behind the scenes (and Bartley's back) in a similar fashion to when they dismissed Naysmith on the Saturday night and rather suspiciously announced Johnston's appointment on the Monday morning.

If this isn't the case, then they need to give Bartley the dreaded vote of confidence, if only to give everyone - players, staff and most importantly supporters - some idea of their thinking.  The silence from the boardroom isn't doing anyone any favours.

9 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Had I been typing this this time last week I would have said that the board, who have been incredibly lenient with our last few managers despite a relentless stream of poor results, may have been looking at sticking with Bartley until after the Stirling game which closes the second round of fixtures  ...    Bartley's catastrophic interview on Saturday night has surely hastened his departure though.  There's no coming back from that as far as I can see.  

Yes, even after Saturday's performance, I felt pretty sure Bartley would be going nowhere just yet.

The subsequent interview felt like a complete game changer in that respect though.

36 minutes ago, Artemis said:

They must have some kind of news lined up to generate interest because they’re expecting home fans who don’t buy online to have to queue for tickets.

The interview is generating enough interest it seems. More folk have watched that interview than have attended our last 6 home games :lol:

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The interview is generating enough interest it seems. More folk have watched that interview than have attended our last 6 home games :lol:

We're so box office ... amarite ...?