The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ah right, I see what you mean.

As you say, it would carry costs and risks.

Just give them a copy of the latest Call of Duty game each to p!ss off. What are we talking, 40 quid each? Everyone is happy.

5 hours ago, Swarley said:

Just give them a copy of the latest Call of Duty game each to p!ss off. What are we talking, 40 quid each? Everyone is happy.

Sure these games when released are closer to £60/70 and going by their performance on the park we would be massively overpaying them. 

11 hours ago, printer said:

FTFY

FTFY

Indeed, as you say Warnock is undoubtedly by many measures a "tosspot", off-the-wall, crazy guy, etc etc.  I enjoyed listening to his stories though as I was bored yesterday and some of it was genuinely funny tbf (life can't be serious all the time).

That said, he's got the most promotions (8) of any manager south of the border and has got a few clubs out of dire relegation situations, so he must occasionally get something right and I'd hazard a guess that it's that he knows how and when to motivate (often) average players given that he's never had a gig at a stellar club.  You see this in other managers of a similar ilk (Dick The Bunnet Campbell and John Lambie being examples up here).

There's an obvious contrast with the likes of the new upcoming coaching badge qualified managerial breed like Marvin at Queens.  I get the feeling that Marvin's extremely professional and swamps his players with tactics, analytical data from previous games and sports science data etc to the point where the players just get plain bored and switch off.  Lets face it, and I know its dangerous to generalise too much, fitba players are probably often not the sharpest tools in the shed and so managers need to know what makes them tick, what switches to flick so to speak and importantly how to lift the mood by introducing some fun now and again - ie man management skills.  The strongest suit of arguably the best manager ever produced up here (Alex Ferguson) was his man management skills ... bar the occasional flying teacups and Beckham head bound fitba boot missiles.

On 22/11/2023 at 09:27, bod said:

I know it's been mentioned before but with Scott Brown actively training and looking to get back into football in Scotland, I take him. Yes he's looking predominantly as a manager but he's exactly what we need. 

Bring him in as player/manager and he'd give us some much needed bite in midfield. Yes he's 38 but I'm sure he's still got a few 60mins left in him.

Scott Brown hasn't played a game of football for nearly 2yr for a start

Playing again won't be in his plans going forward and I think he'd only drop to the championship level if a club comes calling for a manager.

I'd guess the December 16th game v Edinburgh will be the one that could make your board act on the future of Bartley. Edinburgh were a different beast against us with the new the manager. I had a peek at the upcoming games and Edinburgh could be above you by the time you play them, though I'm hoping you do something v Hamilton 👌👌

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Playing again won't be in his plans going forward and I think he'd only drop to the championship level if a club comes calling for a manager.

I'd guess the December 16th game v Edinburgh will be the one that could make your board act on the future of Bartley. Edinburgh were a different beast against us with the new the manager. I had a peek at the upcoming games and Edinburgh could be above you by the time you play them, though I'm hoping you do something v Hamilton 👌👌

The tone of your post suggests you think you’re Mr informed and the dog’s baws ! You support a full team from a huge catchment area ( in Scotland) in a league where you have a part time club in the one above. Unique in Europe. And you’ve not been to Annan yet? 

5 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

The tone of your post suggests you think you’re Mr informed and the dog’s baws ! You support a full team from a huge catchment area ( in Scotland) in a league where you have a part time club in the one above. Unique in Europe. And you’ve not been to Annan yet? 

What are you on about 😂

Just seen the clip Dundee United put on their Twitter of our cup game in 2005. Only thing I could pay attention too was how many people we used to get through the gate, and pretty certain that game was at a time we were struggling near the bottom of the championship. 

3 hours ago, MrDust said:

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

Mr Dust's post seemed reasonable to me, don't see the issue - always like to get the views of other clubs fans, that's why I use P&B.

Can't argue with his view that the Edinburgh game on 16th must be absolutely the last chance saloon for Marvin - we lose that and we really are waist deep in the whatsits.  Prior to that we'll take zip from Hamilton (losing to Accies is like death and taxes for Queens, a dead cert) and Montrose away is unlikely to yield any points either.

7 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Warnock ... he's never had a gig at a stellar club. 

That could explain why he has a soft spot for Morton.  😆

He had a 10 or so year managerial apprenticeship in non-league football before managing at Football League level.  The way we are going, that experience in the non-league game could make him the ideal candidate for a future role as QoS manager.

1 hour ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

What a difference 4 months makes.

He looks faintly ridiculous talking there about managing at the top of the game.

38 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

To be honest, he defends him less than the headline suggests.

He doesn't see it as a valid excuse for how hopeless we are.

Aye fine, I saw the name Chris Sutton and naturally read no further ...