The Queen of the South thread

27 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Can some of you tell me the definition of Supporter ?   

Apparently it is someone willing to happily attend every single game and praise the club regardless of the product on offer or the facilities provided.

17 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Apparently it is someone willing to happily attend every single game and praise the club regardless of the product on offer or the facilities provided.

I could count on one hand the amount of homes games ihave missed in over 40 years.

Don't really care about the facilities provided all that matters to me  is Queens winning games of tootball .

That is the problem come rain or shine I will be there but I really understand fans finding better things to do with there hard earned cash.

This is why right now we should really have a go for the playoffs  give Marv the cash to get a couple of real quality signing in not boys but players that will inprove our team straight away .

It does really annoy me though the towns attitude of supporting either of the ugly sisters over a home town team, but guess that is a problem wherever you go in the country.

15 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

I could count on one hand the amount of homes games ihave missed in over 40 years.

Don't really care about the facilities provided all that matters to me  is Queens winning games of tootball .

That is the problem come rain or shine I will be there but I really understand fans finding better things to do with there hard earned cash.

This is why right now we should really have a go for the playoffs  give Marv the cash to get a couple of real quality signing in not boys but players that will inprove our team straight away .

Extremely rare that I miss a home game either but I 100% understand why folk would choose not to watch us at the moment and I usually regret going myself after each game..

18 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

It does really annoy me though the towns attitude of supporting either of the ugly sisters over a home town team, but guess that is a problem wherever you go in the country.

That will always be an issue unfortunately. But it should make clubs want to do more to attract supporters, not less. If the football was entertaining I'm sure we could attract back some of those local OF "supporters". If the diehards are struggling to motivate themselves to games there's no chance of attracting new fans. 

Something that has been irking me for the last two weeks or so has been bringing Harvey Walker on far too late in games.

Yes, he is very raw and has been a bit of let down but he has incredible pace and could cause teams serious damage in the latter stages of matches.

I would stick him upfront and fire long balls over the top of tiring defenders. I feel like it's an easy tactic for us if we're chasing games...

Against Alloa, Hutchinson was getting played through quite a lot but couldn't reach the ball due to either his lack of match sharpness/pace. I would've subbed him off with 20 minutes to go and brought Harvey on as he will cause them problems. We were screaming for some pace in the game but he only got a few minutes and yes, he was up front, but he needed more time! 

I thought the same on Saturday against St Mirren, we were crying out for Walker  IMHO.

I sighed when I saw Hutchinson emerge from the bench as if he can't get it going against Alloa then more than likely won't be up to speed up against Prem defenders (even when they've had a "winter break"). 

I'm perfectly relaxed with the idea that my custom at Queens is conditional.

If I want to attend (which I usually do) I'll go along.  If I dont, I'll give it a miss.  I'm certainly not going to feel guilt or shame about it.  If that doesn't meet someone else's definition of being a 'supporter ', I'll live with it - believe me.

The Rangers vote convinced me that I owed the club nothing and would lend support - financial, emotional, whatever - on my own terms.

The idea of enduring physical discomfort, boredom and frustration is not particularly appealing and I don't blame anyone who decides against spending their money on it.

Bartley absolutely seems to lack any grasp of the idea that there should actually be something reciprocal in the relationship between club and fan.  

My support isn't unconditional and I don't really see why we should expect anyone else's to be.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm perfectly relaxed with the idea that my custom at Queens is conditional.

If I want to attend (which I usually do) I'll go along.  If I dont, I'll give it a miss.  I'm certainly not going to feel guilt or shame about it.  If that doesn't meet someone else's definition of being a 'supporter ', I'll live with it - believe me.

The Rangers vote convinced me that I owed the club nothing and would lend support - financial, emotional, whatever - on my own terms.

The idea of enduring physical discomfort, boredom and frustration is not particularly appealing and I don't blame anyone who decides against spending their money on it.

Bartley absolutely seems to lack any grasp of the idea that there should actually be something reciprocal in the relationship between club and fan.  

My support isn't unconditional and I don't really see why we should expect anyone else's to be.

I tend to agree here. I used to be a season ticket holder and would previously happily pay for it knowing I'd miss a handful of games due to work commitments but that has certainly changed over the years. I think the own goals we've scored with the Rangers vote, Gallowaygate and other things has turned off some supporters.

I know several others who have stopped entering the shirt draw etc because of the above. 

I agree with Bartley's non-existent relationship with the support. It's very strange IMHO. 

I see the Solway Sharks had nearly 900 in for their latest home game (albeit ticket prices were slashed). Who would ever of thought the Sharks would come a cigarette paper away from matching Queens attendances....

21 minutes ago, 84yards said:

I tend to agree here. I used to be a season ticket holder and would previously happily pay for it knowing I'd miss a handful of games due to work commitments but that has certainly changed over the years. I think the own goals we've scored with the Rangers vote, Gallowaygate and other things has turned off some supporters.

I know several others who have stopped entering the shirt draw etc because of the above. 

I agree with Bartley's non-existent relationship with the support. It's very strange IMHO. 

I see the Solway Sharks had nearly 900 in for their latest home game (albeit ticket prices were slashed). Who would ever of thought the Sharks would come a cigarette paper away from matching Queens attendances....

It's quite simple. People will pay to be entertained!

2 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

No ! someone who supports the club through thick and thin , believe me i have seen  many poor teams in an alloa shirt ,  Depriving your club of gate money isnt going to help . you either support your club or you don't simple , Now being a Fan of a club just might be a different thing ! .

4 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

No ! someone who supports the club through thick and thin , believe me i have seen  many poor teams in an alloa shirt ,  Depriving your club of gate money isnt going to help . you either support your club or you don't simple , Now being a Fan of a club just might be a different thing ! .

stillgame-birthdaycairdpish(1).gif.7c9b1fcbb5dd5ec1b1bcc3d6d618ea9a.gif

44 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

you either support your club or you don't simple 

What idiocy.

Why decide it's so black and white?  Where does it stop?  Is it necessary to attend every game, home and away?  What about reserve games?  How many replica shirts are appropriate?  

Just daft.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What idiocy.

Why decide it's so black and white?  Where does it stop?  Is it necessary to attend every game, home and away?  What about reserve games?  How many replica shirts are appropriate?  

Just daft.

who said anything about shirts or having to attend every game ? you tell me what you think defines a supporter , promise i won't call you anything ! .

5 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

who said anything about shirts or having to attend every game ? you tell me what you think defines a supporter , promise i won't call you anything ! .

Well you said that withholding gate money was no answer, so I was interested in where you drew the line.  

A supporter is someone who sees themself as identifying with that club.  However, they're allowed to grumble, and even miss games if they see fit.  I didn't see that as too radical a view to be honest.

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

I think I've discovered your problem!

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well you said that withholding gate money was no answer, so I was interested in where you drew the line.  

A supporter is someone who sees themself as identifying with that club.  However, they're allowed to grumble, and even miss games if they see fit.  I didn't see that as too radical a view to be honest.

Grumble away it's your right  , my point is if you stop and others stop going to games ( not season ticket holders obviously ) then the club have less money coming in it is hardly going to improve your situation . 

where Do I draw the line ? I go to games win lose or draw thats the bottom line , Maybe it is different for a full time club with a bigger history and expectations  . I have a moan as a paying customer /Fan / supporter whatever, As a season ticket holder it becomes irrelevant whether i turn up or not of course , Ironically I will miss the upcoming  Alloa - QOTS Game due to a family commitment otherwise i would be there , I simply don't believe in withholding your cash to the club you support and then expecting things to suddenly improve . 

32 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

I have a moan as a paying customer /Fan / supporter whatever, As a season ticket holder it becomes irrelevant whether i turn up or not of course . 

Nonsense.

Of course it matters whether you turn up or not.  It'll matter to you and I like to think it should matter to the club.

It's this idea of reciprocity again.  You have agency here.  The club have a responsibility to provide something to you.

I even like to think that your physical presence at games might matter.  If you're happy in a role of simply being a provider of cash, that's up to you.

I'm sure there's a bit more to you than that though, and that the club should value you beyond any fiscal contribution.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

Grumble away it's your right  , my point is if you stop and others stop going to games ( not season ticket holders obviously ) then the club have less money coming in it is hardly going to improve your situation . 

where Do I draw the line ? I go to games win lose or draw thats the bottom line , Maybe it is different for a full time club with a bigger history and expectations  . I have a moan as a paying customer /Fan / supporter whatever, As a season ticket holder it becomes irrelevant whether i turn up or not of course , Ironically I will miss the upcoming  Alloa - QOTS Game due to a family commitment otherwise i would be there , I simply don't believe in withholding your cash to the club you support and then expecting things to suddenly improve . 

Our wonderful BoD voted in favour of Rangers when the general vibe was no fan wanted it. They then let that arsehole Galloway into Palmerston when the supporters weren't allowed into the ground. Our BoD have treated the fanbase with utter contempt time and again so I have no issue with supporters returning the favour. 

The current state we're in is in no way the fault of the support.