The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Agree with that. The Norman Blount reboot post the Harkness era is a great example. All this talk of keep it local and don’t look at ‘foreign’ options smacks of small time thinking too….we need to stem the stench of decay and underachievement at Queens now. Starting with a committed, attacking performance and win at the weekend to banish the ghost of Division 2. Then let’s look at a strategic vision with competent people that can propel us upward.

Indeed, this “keeping it local” attitude is extremely limiting and small minded.  If the right person/people were interested then I couldn’t give two hoots where they’re from!

41 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Indeed, this “keeping it local” attitude is extremely limiting and small minded.  If the right person/people were interested then I couldn’t give two hoots where they’re from!

Aye, I'm sure that "local boy" Calvin Harris wouldn't miss the odd £20 million pissed away on a basket case suitably invested in a worthy cause tbf ...

56 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

I don't see it as question of parochialism. Of course you could get lousy local board members, just as wonderful ones could come from further afield.

However if we did have interest from far away, I would wonder what the motivation was, to be honest.  I think the need for due diligence would be all the greater.   I struggle to see what the appeal would be, in the absence of an emotional attachment to the club.  An initial sense of caution to such an approach, would be wise.

What do Queens have to attract a non-local investor? If there is no emotional attachment i can't see what the attraction would be, given the level of investment the stadium requires. Possible feeder team for a team down south? If so i think there are more attractive/less expensive options.

22 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

What do Queens have to attract a non-local investor? If there is no emotional attachment i can't see what the attraction would be, given the level of investment the stadium requires. Possible feeder team for a team down south? If so i think there are more attractive/less expensive options.

Realistically? nothing! doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be open to interest if it somehow arises that some tycoon really likes the name of the club!

2 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

👍

13 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Realistically? nothing! doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be open to interest if it somehow arises that some tycoon really likes the name of the club!

Or some film star as per Wrexham. It does seem unlikely though.

Mind you a well crafted email to Ryan Reynolds asking if he “has a mate” that might be interested, could tip the balance.

Less money required to get to the Scottish Premiership, than Wrexham to get to the English top flight, so you never know. We could be a bargain for somebody.

A cool 50 Million and we would challenging for a place in Europe again. Hahaha.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't see it as question of parochialism. Of course you could get lousy local board members, just as wonderful ones could come from further afield.

However if we did have interest from far away, I would wonder what the motivation was, to be honest.  I think the need for due diligence would be all the greater.   I struggle to see what the appeal would be, in the absence of an emotional attachment to the club.  An initial sense of caution to such an approach, would be wise.

Due diligence would be important but there are people that potentially would just love the challenge of getting us up the leagues that still are potentially altruistic. Of course some merely want a feeder club or to get their paws on good real estate, they would have to be vetted out. I remain open minded and see this as a great opportunity for a reset. Let’s face it we have suffered a decade of decline and are at our worst position in the Scottish football pyramid in 50 years so we have to grab this opportunity to do better. The alternative is part time status, potential relegation to division 2 and a long long time in the seaside leagues. Given our history we surely deserve better than this. 

4 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Mind you a well crafted email to Ryan Reynolds asking if he “has a mate” that might be interested, could tip the balance.

Less money required to get to the Scottish Premiership, than Wrexham to get to the English top flight, so you never know. We could be a bargain for somebody.

Totally!! 

16 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

12 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Totally!! 

Absolutely not!!

I'm not sure if @qos_75 is being entirely serious, but I couldn't think of a worse outcome.  The ensuing media circus would turn the club into a Scottish version of much despised outfits such as Wrexham, Salford City or MK Dons.

In all honesty I can't see what attraction the club would hold to anyone who doesn't already have the club at heart (local or otherwise), shady characters looking to seize an opportunity to do a quick spot of asset stripping, or egomaniacs.  We may have a full-time playing staff but for me the reality is that the club is part-time in all but name, with nothing like the infrastructure needed to support top level football and a heavy reliance on well-meaning volunteers to keep the club going.  It's going to need a lot of investment to turn the club around, but let's not be distracted by pound signs.

49 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Due diligence would be important but there are people that potentially would just love the challenge of getting us up the leagues that still are potentially altruistic. Of course some merely want a feeder club or to get their paws on good real estate, they would have to be vetted out. I remain open minded and see this as a great opportunity for a reset. Let’s face it we have suffered a decade of decline and are at our worst position in the Scottish football pyramid in 50 years so we have to grab this opportunity to do better. The alternative is part time status, potential relegation to division 2 and a long long time in the seaside leagues. Given our history we surely deserve better than this. 

I agree with some of what you say but it seems as though you expect there will be a queue from Palmerston back to the Nith of would-be entrepreneurs waiting to snap us up.

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

there are people that potentially would just love the challenge of getting us up the leagues that still are potentially altruistic...

Let’s face it we have suffered a decade of decline and are at our worst position in the Scottish football pyramid in 50 years 

I remember reading articles about the apparent altruism of a certain Brooks Mileson fella.  Wonder what happened there.

The second point above simply isn't true.  We were worse than this 24 years ago, as well as at several points in the couple of decades before that. 

As for the idea mentioned earlier of a Wrexham scenario, I accept that my view might not be a majority one, but I'd honestly rather have us this shit, than be hijacked in that way.

4 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Absolutely not!!

I'm not sure if @qos_75 is being entirely serious, but I couldn't think of a worse outcome.  The ensuing media circus would turn the club into a Scottish version of much despised outfits such as Wrexham, Salford City or MK Dons.

In all honesty I can't see what attraction the club would hold to anyone who doesn't already have the club at heart (local or otherwise), shady characters looking to seize an opportunity to do a quick spot of asset stripping, or egomaniacs.  We may have a full-time playing staff but for me the reality is that the club is part-time in all but name, with nothing like the infrastructure needed to support top level football and a heavy reliance on well-meaning volunteers to keep the club going.  It's going to need a lot of investment to turn the club around, but let's not be distracted by pound signs.

Ok then back to sliding down the leagues …..

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

The worst position Queens have finished in the pyramid in the last 50 years is 37th out of 38 teams in 1979/80.
Others that were worse include (all out of 38 teams)
89/90 34th
90/91 36th 
91/92 35th
92/93 34th

Thanks for the pedentary. My mistake. We are only the worst we have been in the last 30 years, that will be ok ok then 😴

4 hours ago, bod said:

I agree with some of what you say but it seems as though you expect there will be a queue from Palmerston back to the Nith of would-be entrepreneurs waiting to snap us up.

Possibly not but hey better to consider all options rather than sleepwalk into another arrangement that may lead to no progress in the next 30 years. I’m open minded. It surely can’t be worse than what we have suffered in the last 5 years. I’m certainly not voting as a shareholder to sell to unsuitable owners but I can’t take another season as bad as this. 

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I remember reading articles about the apparent altruism of a certain Brooks Mileson fella.  Wonder what happened there.

The second point above simply isn't true.  We were worse than this 24 years ago, as well as at several points in the couple of decades before that. 

As for the idea mentioned earlier of a Wrexham scenario, I accept that my view might not be a majority one, but I'd honestly rather have us this shit, than be hijacked in that way.

You are entitled to your view but I simply want us to take an open minded approach on the way forward at this important juncture rather than the same old and us continue our slide into the nether regions of Scottish football, fan disinterest and possible oblivion. Ok hands up we may not have been this bad for 24, 30 or 50 years. I simply had no inclination to rake through years of tables. It just feels like a lifetime since we watched attractive football, actually could win a home match and looked forward to promotion and not relegation. I want to enjoy watching Queens again. It really is that simple… 

50 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Possibly not but hey better to consider all options rather than sleepwalk into another arrangement that may lead to no progress in the next 30 years. I’m open minded. It surely can’t be worse than what we have suffered in the last 5 years. I’m certainly not voting as a shareholder to sell to unsuitable owners but I can’t take another season as bad as this. 

Neither your nor I (nor any other shareholder) gets a vote on who anyone else sells shares to. In any event, there's no need to buy a controlling interest to be appointed to the board. Being a director and being an owner are completely separate roles. Directors are appointed by owners. The line just tends to get blurred because often at football clubs the owners will appoint themselves or their relatives.

7 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Ok then back to sliding down the leagues …..

Yes, it's definitely a straight choice between being like Wrexham, or piling up the relegations.

You'd wonder how all these other clubs manage to be in neither camp.

7 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Thanks for the pedentary. My mistake. We are only the worst we have been in the last 30 years, that will be ok ok then 😴

It's not pedantry.

You said something that was fundamentally wrong by a substantial margin.