The Queen of the South thread

Watching a young Queens team play VfR Wilsche-Neubokel at Palmerston in the celebratory 30th anniversary town twinning match. A very poor attendance but the game was very poorly advertised imo. Talks of a return leg in Germany next year. Young queens team against German amateurs. 

Currently 3-1 South 

39 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Watching a young Queens team play VfR Wilsche-Neubokel at Palmerston in the celebratory 30th anniversary town twinning match. A very poor attendance but the game was very poorly advertised imo. Talks of a return leg in Germany next year. Young queens team against German amateurs. 

Currently 3-1 South 

Think I saw something about it tucked away in the Courier or Standard but must admit I forgot about it or would have gone along. Not a mention of it on the OS, and the twinning is a Council thing is it not so they should be advertising it too, but I can't find any mention of it by them. 

4 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Currently 3-1 South 

On holiday or would have gone. What did score end? Any of the youths look promising?

8 hours ago, Greenacres said:

All about our budget.

We somehow have to get quality in that but that  costs money .

We really have to gamble  our crowds would double if we get the right players in .

... Peter Murphy seems a decent manager but he has a impossible job if he is  not giving the budget to get the players he wants in.

Well, yes we know this is your favourite topic and you're right (in part) a big budget does help - but equally it's also about how well you use the budget that you do have.

From a fan's perspective it's easy to say "just chuck a load of cash at it and hope it turns out well" ... but life isn't quite like that.  Whilst us fans like to give a club board a hard time, you have to realise that the board has more than one objective/duty.  As well as seeking forwards/upwards progression, they are also custodians of the club and have a duty to ensure that the club stays financially sound such that it is still around in the years to come.  So there is a balance to be struck here (as in all walks of life/business), and it's not an easy one either ... imagine you are an Inverness fan just now ...

8 minutes ago, Big Chopper said:

On holiday or would have gone. What did score end? Any of the youths look promising?

Decent QoS performance, 3-1 winners against older boys. 

With teams like Dunfermline, Falkirk and Accies in League 1 in 22/23 and 23/24, Queens would have been better keeping a big slice of the budget back for a title charge in 24/25 by just settling for finishing something like 5th and 7th in those seasons.

7 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Cracking league next season, am I wrong to be excited? 😂 I felt this way when Marv took over and look how it panned out. 

IMG_5712.jpeg

Greenacres has taken any feeling of excitement or expectation away that I might have had, apparently we're doomed to another poor season because of our budget.

I can't see any team running away with it like Falkirk did though, just hope we can be competitive and give ourselves a chance of a high finish. 

11 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Well, yes we know this is your favourite topic and you're right (in part) a big budget does help - but equally it's also about how well you use the budget that you do have.

From a fan's perspective it's easy to say "just chuck a load of cash at it and hope it turns out well" ... but life isn't quite like that.  Whilst us fans like to give a club board a hard time, you have to realise that the board has more than one objective/duty.  As well as seeking forwards/upwards progression, they are also custodians of the club and have a duty to ensure that the club stays financially sound such that it is still around in the years to come.  So there is a balance to be struck here (as in all walks of life/business), and it's not an easy one either ... imagine you are an Inverness fan just now ...

100% Otis.... Clubs need to be ran akin to the way the directors run their businesses and that is within their means.  As BH stated on the AGM, the budget would have to be addressed and could not take more 6 figure losses as they were obviously banking on a return to championship football instantly.  Now we have to work with the cards we have been dealt and produce a 'new' model of how things go forward.  JM talks frankly surrounding what it is going to take from fan to board and transparent updates will be well received.  The biggest key to our success is getting fans through the door... more fans, more budget....  From a fan that lives at the other side of the country and only manages a handful /dozen home games a season, it was refreshing to hear of the news on remedial works on Palmy starting also... again, a good way to encourage those exiled/on the fence fans back.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Greenacres has taken any feeling of excitement or expectation away that I might have had, apparently we're doomed to another poor season because of our budget.

I can't see any team running away with it like Falkirk did though, just hope we can be competitive and give ourselves a chance of a high finish. 

Put him in ignore. All for disagreeing with folks views and having a decent debate but it's the same drivel every single time with him. Not quite sure what they get out of it tbh. Best ignored. 

Edited by 19QOS19

21 hours ago, Greenacres said:

We really have to gamble  our crowds would double if we get the right players in .

I suspect you're like every club at this level, yes your attendances will boost, but only if the pricing is correct imho, and I feel that less people are drifting to League 1 & 2 matches as they are being out-priced. Even myself, I regularly go and watch other teams around about the central belt when Stirling are away, or if I just fancy a game, however I look more at the WOS/EOS or Lowland League these days as the entry fee of £18-28 is just too high. 

When Stirling won League 2 last season, our attendances rose, as you would expect. However it was short lived for some of the people I know, and a lot of that was down to pricing.

League table of round trip distances in miles from Palmerston to each away ground (according to google maps)

ICT 468
Cove 398
Montrose 350
Arbroath 324
Kelty 202
Alloa 196
Dumbarton 188
Stenhousemuir 176
Annan 36

On 19/05/2024 at 05:24, Mon_The_South said:

There will never be that required investment in the squad until we stop the bleeding.  The outgoing Chairman made it extremely clear at the AGM that the finances had to be sorted as they could not continue with the continued 6 figure losses, so it is very astute that we have moved to secure a manager that can work with a younger and cheaper budget than most in the league.  I would have loved to have seen the 20 man squad on the same budget that MB had, but sadly that is looking more likely that it will be a 20 man squad on a much reduced budget. 

I think the obvious ties to Carlisle will play a big part in the arrival of loan players and genuinely hope there can be some ground made between the club and the Tanner Fund after JM's post. The club are obviously looking to reach out to them and I believe they do have a bigger part to play with this new board.

The important part for me is getting the fans back through the gates and yep 90% may be results based, but as JM has highlighted the connection between board and terrace plays a huge part.  Having fans buy into what the board want is massive... JM's first posts underline this.

Got to look back at our history; Stagnant part time team going no where. 

Put a bit of money in, got promoted, went full time, got to a cup final, played in Europe. None of that success would have happened without the initial investment. 

Ok we nearly went under later on but that was due to spending money completely unnecessary and at the wrong time plus no additional income streams. 

We have the arena and other additional income generators now but due to bad decisions we find ourselves practically back where we were all those years ago. 

If we want to guarantee competing at the right end of this division it's either because we've brought in the quality needed or the manager has got a squad together that just clicks. The latter is just the stuff of dreams tbh which doesn't happen very often , eg Hartley / Alloa,  Brian Reid Ayr / United etc 

13 hours ago, Artemis said:

With teams like Dunfermline, Falkirk and Accies in League 1 in 22/23 and 23/24, Queens would have been better keeping a big slice of the budget back for a title charge in 24/25 by just settling for finishing something like 5th and 7th in those seasons.

I see what you did there ... 😎

51 minutes ago, Artemis said:

League table of round trip distances in miles from Palmerston to each away ground (according to google maps)

ICT 468
Cove 398
Montrose 350
Arbroath 324
Kelty 202
Alloa 196
Dumbarton 188
Stenhousemuir 176
Annan 36

Stenhousemuir 32

Dumbarton 38

Alloa 42

ICT 177

Stenny's the nearest for me.  Bit of a shame to lose the wee 16 mile round trip down to Accies though.  Haven't been to Stenny or Dumbarton for a wee while now, so good to revisit - plus my youngest lives in Helensburgh now so that's handy for The Rock.  Never been to the Tulloch Stadium (or whatever it's now called) at Inverness, although did once watch Killie getting pumped oot the big cup by Inverness Thistle way back in the day when there was no snow at Aviemore for skiing.  Always something new, bring it on.

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

ICT 468
Cove 398
Montrose 350
Arbroath 324
Kelty 202
Alloa 196
Dumbarton 188
Stenhousemuir 176
Annan 36

As an exiled Doonhamer the distances are very good for me bar Annan... but Annan being a derby makes that trip even better so the league in this side of thing really is cracking....especially the top 4

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

ICT 468
Cove 398
Montrose 350
Arbroath 324
Kelty 202
Alloa 196
Dumbarton 188
Stenhousemuir 176
Annan 36

That is a sobering stat - no wonder the away support numbers get measured in single digits.

11 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Yes, it's hard to see why we should be relative paupers in that company.

I agree that it's all about budget, but I don't see how that works as much of an excuse in our current surroundings.