The Queen of the South thread

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

I really hope the only plans  Murphy has for Hutchinson and Doherty is to work out a pay off neither will score goals we can't have any passengers when we have such a tight squad .

That is my worry and Murphy biggest problem how to we get goals in  the team. 

It's looking like a bomb scare before it's even started being brutally honest. 

Apart from Brydon the rest who are signed on are not exactly promotion winning material.

Edited by Kunter

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

Apart from Brydon the rest who are signed on are not exactly promotion winning material.

I’d imagine Hutchison will be pretty easy to work with to get back down south. Same though bar Brydon I’d try punt the rest. 

Reading between the lines that update suggest Todd, Mimnaugh, Connelly, McGuffie, Gibson amongst young players are being spoke to. Wouldn’t be paying over the odds for any. Todd started playing towards end of season, but I think WG could try get him to annan, Mimnaugh I’d keep, Connelly not fussed and mcguffie I’d take chance on possibly if cheap enough, technically very good just finding his role within the team. 

24 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

I’d imagine Hutchison will be pretty easy to work with to get back down south. Same though bar Brydon I’d try punt the rest. 

Reading between the lines that update suggest Todd, Mimnaugh, Connelly, McGuffie, Gibson amongst young players are being spoke to. Wouldn’t be paying over the odds for any. Todd started playing towards end of season, but I think WG could try get him to annan, Mimnaugh I’d keep, Connelly not fussed and mcguffie I’d take chance on possibly if cheap enough, technically very good just finding his role within the team. 

My worry is our budget I was hoping that our new director would have said that Murphy had more to work with  with than Bartley but it seems he has less.

It is going to be very difficult to get the quality players we need especially in forward areas .

Great saying give youth a chance but they have to be good enough experience and physicality are so much more important 

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

4 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

My worry is our budget I was hoping that our new director would have said that Murphy had more to work with  with than Bartley but it seems he has less.

It is going to be very difficult to get the quality players we need especially in forward areas .

Great saying give youth a chance but they have to be good enough experience and physicality are so much more important 

Ahh there's nothing like looking forward to the new season with a bit of positivity is there. If positivity isn't your thing then maybe look at things with a bit of realism. 

2 hours ago, Palmerstunned said:

Another good update from the club and as expected a major rebuild of the squad for next season.

I’m really pleased that we are getting high quality communication. It should build a closer bond between club and fans 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's 3 going I won't lose sleep over. I'd have been happy with Botterill staying and even being our No.1. tbh. I assume that means the following have been offered contracts then.

Todd, Connelly, McGuffie, Cowie, Mimnaugh, Ross, Gibson, Johnstone, Currie

If Mimnaugh can stay fit I really want him to stay. Would be happy enough for the other first team regulars to remain as well. And obviously really hoping Gibson signs. You'd imagine the other young lads will stay as well. That'd be 15 if they all signed. So we'd need another GK and 4 more players. Though, as we've discussed I really hope the 20 squad doesn't include those youngsters or we're not going up next season. 

ETA - I really hope we're trying to negotiate Doherty's release. I'd say Hutchinson as well but guven Murphy liked to use Goss as a target man I think he might have plans for Hutchinson. 

If we could negotiate our way out I would ditch Doherty, McKechnie and not keep Todd and McGuffie. Might just be a player in Hutchison with a pre season. However we need some serious quality additions with skill, physique and experience if we are to challenge. I agree that if the 20 includes kids and the current retained list we have no chance of making even the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

If we could negotiate our way out I would ditch Doherty, McKechnie and not keep Todd and McGuffie. Might just be a player in Hutchison with a pre season. However we need some serious quality additions with skill, physique and experience if we are to challenge. I agree that if the 20 includes kids and the current retained list we have no chance of making even the playoffs. 

Aye I'm about done with McKechnie as well tbh. Just hasn't improved at all. Doherty isn't good enough. I'll he content if Todd stays but I won't be gutted if he leaves. McGuffie is probably the best technical player we have/had. If Murphy can find a role for him I'd be happy for him to stay. IMO playing just off the striker is where he'd do well. One of the few players who held on to the ball last season when there was nothing on. 

Posted (edited)

Is it just me who finds the day that the club announce what players are leaving to be one of the most exciting and pleasing of the season?

Edited by Slipmat

50 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Ahh there's nothing like looking forward to the new season with a bit of positivity is there. If positivity isn't your thing then maybe look at things with a bit of realism. 

It’s the Dumfries way…

IMG_0365.jpeg.5bc64690aa5fba69ae015f101e023b0f.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I am positive well as much as I can be but it is all about money .

Good example is Raith similar size club as us.  They not so along ago were in League 1 but now they have had a big  investment they are night and day away from us one step away from the S.P.L.

Posted (edited)

Much as I want us to sign some decent forwards for a change, next season's defence is also looking exceedingly thin at the moment.  One good defender (Brydon), one who I think is probably good but is made of glass (Church), and two youngsters with a couple of minutes experience under their belts between them (Currie & Rogerson).

I'm starting to hope that the 20 man squad figure quoted doesn't include loan signings.

Edited by Slipmat
missed an important word out

27 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

I am positive well as much as I can be but it is all about money .

Good example is Raith similar size club as us.  They not so along ago were in League 1 but now they have had a big  investment they are night and day away from us one step away from the S.P.L.

Well, aye, there's always going to be these odd exceptional cases.  That doesn't alter the fact that clubs such as Alloa and Montrose can consistently make a real go of it in L1 without substantial external funding, and they are probably doing it on budgets that could well be less than we have at Palmerston.  The challenge for Queens is to use the available budget wisely.

56 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I'm about done with McKechnie as well tbh. Just hasn't improved at all. Doherty isn't good enough. I'll he content if Todd stays but I won't be gutted if he leaves. McGuffie is probably the best technical player we have/had. If Murphy can find a role for him I'd be happy for him to stay. IMO playing just off the striker is where he'd do well. One of the few players who held on to the ball last season when there was nothing on. 

Agreed. No improvement with McKechnie. A very one dimensional player. 

McGuffie I would keep too. 

2 hours ago, qos1990 said:

... Reading between the lines that update suggest Todd, Mimnaugh, Connelly, McGuffie, Gibson amongst young players are being spoke to ...

It's very early days and I wouldn't get overly impatient or worried at the moment.  Of those out of contract players listed above who we may be trying to entice back, I don't imagine for a moment that they will all come back - and Murphy will have his own ideas of each of them having played against them last season.

Murphy's not daft - he'll know he needs a strong spine for the team including an experienced keeper, a solid centre back pairing (Brydon probably one of those), a midfield enforcer, a creative midfielder and one or two strikers who have a fairly good idea of where the net is in relation to the goalposts as a minimum.  We're all desperate to see the squad assemble but we need to give Murphy time ... it's still only mid-May.

6 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

It's very early days and I wouldn't get overly impatient or worried at the moment.  Of those out of contract players listed above who we may be trying to entice back, I don't imagine for a moment that they will all come back - and Murphy will have his own ideas of each of them having played against them last season.

Murphy's not daft - he'll know he needs a strong spine for the team including an experienced keeper, a solid centre back pairing (Brydon probably one of those), a midfield enforcer, a creative midfielder and one or two strikers who have a fairly good idea of where the net is in relation to the goalposts as a minimum.  We're all desperate to see the squad assemble but we need to give Murphy time ... it's still only mid-May.

Who’s being impatient 🤷🏽‍♂️

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Agree with all that apart from McGuffie. Falkirk fan friend of mine said we would get 2 world class goals then nothing else all season. Sums him up. We need a player to replace him that inputs more consistently imho. Also we all agree we need more physicality. 

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Much as I want us to sign some decent forwards for a change, next season's defence is also looking exceedingly thin at the moment.  One good defender (Brydon), one who I think is probably good but is made of glass (Church), and two youngsters with a couple of minutes experience under their belts between them (Currie & Rogerson).

I'm starting to hope that the 20 man squad figure quoted doesn't include loan signings.

Totally. If it’s 20 all in we are screwed. 

And so we have it:- 

Alloa

Annan

Arbroath

Cove 

Dumbarton

ICT 

Kelty Hearts

Montrose 

QoS

Stenhousemuir 

Well the good thing is we have 4 new sides to play next season. Far too early to be making predictions but Falkirk and Hamilton leaving us is a bonus. We'll need to see if Caley have money to throw at it. 

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Alloa

Annan

Arbroath

Cove 

Dumbarton

ICT 

Kelty Hearts

Montrose 

QoS

Stenhousemuir 

Well the good thing is we have 4 new sides to play next season. Far too early to be making predictions but Falkirk and Hamilton leaving us is a bonus. We'll need to see if Caley have money to throw at it. 

That is a league we should absolutely be looking to win. 

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Alloa

Annan

Arbroath

Cove 

Dumbarton

ICT 

Kelty Hearts

Montrose 

QoS

Stenhousemuir 

And, if things stay the same, there will be 3 former Queens Managers  in charge of teams, 2 of them with chips on their shoulders  trying to prove a point.