The Queen of the South thread

11 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Brydon Cochrane McKechnie Church Doherty and Hutchison are signed for next season .

Of the present squad i would only try and keep Gibson Connelly and Todd.

For me, Doherty and Hutchinson just not good enough for the level we are aspiring to next season, so need to find a way to release.

Brydon is fine, haven't seen much of Church but hope Murphy will help his development.  Same hope for McKechnie, but he regressed badly under Bartley.  Cochrane I like as he clearly has talent but he's very lightweight and always a yellow card waiting to happen - again maybe Murphy will be good for him.

Hope we can hold onto Gibson and Connelly.  I'm a bit meh about Todd now, he should be shining at this level but begining to think his talent is on the wane now.

14 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Everything the new director says all sounds good but out of all he said a reduction in budget is a massive worry .

It is going to make it very difficult for Murphy to get a squad good enough to challenge at the top of the table .

Fine saying he wants quality players but they don't come cheap . 

Would say that I suspect it’ll be 14-15 good players on a decent wage, supplemented by the talented reserves players - and there are a few of them. So even if the overall budget is less, chances are the players that are senior first teamers will be earning better. 

16 minutes ago, gavbev3 said:

Would say that I suspect it’ll be 14-15 good players on a decent wage, supplemented by the talented reserves players - and there are a few of them. So even if the overall budget is less, chances are the players that are senior first teamers will be earning better. 

We really need to be signing players who are versatile then and avoid players who are injury prone. If this is true then even though I like him, perhaps it’s worth trying to move on Cochrane, his injury record isn’t good enough if we are going with such a small squad. 

14 minutes ago, gavbev3 said:

I've said for ages that since we've been allowed 9, or however many it is now, subs, there's been a tendency to think they all have to be "first teamers". Personally, I think we only need a squad of 16 or 17 and give some of the younger players a chance (although pay them a bit more than it's rumoured we have been!).

On the subject of bringing on young players, I was told that Ryan Muir was brought on as a sub by Murphy in a game at Annan, by his own admission made a mistake that led to a free kick that lost them the game, and never got another look in. I hope he can give young players a bit more of a chance at Queens.

4 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Finlay Kennedy started full time employment away from Queens 

That's a shame as he looked to be the most promising of the next batch. Not totally surprising though as his first experience of Professional Football was his manager publicly criticizing him. Another of Bartley's failures!

Thought that was a great update from JM, it was certainly a much needed post and great to stir the passion up whilst addressing some much needed areas for 'refurb' in the stadium.  Going to be an interesting month ahead and looking forward to the updates as Peter gets players lined up to add to the squad.  Good to see the restricted numbers, enforcing the use of youth

Of the current senior squad, whether on loan or contracted, I'd be okay seeing the following returning for next season:

Botterill

Brydon, McClelland, Church

Mimnaugh, Cochrane, Todd

Gibson, Connelly

There are issues with some, as mentioned above, but unless you are assured of replacing with better, then I think they are worth persevering with under a new manager.

2 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

Of the current senior squad, whether on loan or contracted, I'd be okay seeing the following returning for next season:

Botterill

Brydon, McClelland, Church

Mimnaugh, Cochrane, Todd

Gibson, Connelly

There are issues with some, as mentioned above, but unless you are assured of replacing with better, then I think they are worth persevering with under a new manager.

McLelland has already practically said his goodbyes on Instagram recently, so would be surprised to see him back.

A nice piece on the OS about our new Chief Executive, Dan Armstrong. Well deserved and this appointment will help the club moving forward. I worried when he started his Masters whether this would give him a platform to move on. Thankfully the club have stepped in and given him a job I'm sure he will excel in. I know the current Board get a lot of stick from us fans but they have supported Dan, so credit to them for doing so. All the best Dan.

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

For me, Doherty and Hutchinson just not good enough for the level we are aspiring to next season, so need to find a way to release.

Brydon is fine, haven't seen much of Church but hope Murphy will help his development.  Same hope for McKechnie, but he regressed badly under Bartley.  Cochrane I like as he clearly has talent but he's very lightweight and always a yellow card waiting to happen - again maybe Murphy will be good for him.

Hope we can hold onto Gibson and Connelly.  I'm a bit meh about Todd now, he should be shining at this level but begining to think his talent is on the wane now.

Kyle Doherty wasn’t even that good for us and couldn’t believe you paid money for him. Not even close to a top end league 1 striker. 

4 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Kyle Doherty wasn’t even that good for us and couldn’t believe you paid money for him. Not even close to a top end league 1 striker. 

You weren't half as surprised as I (or most QOS posters on here) was tbf ...

34 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

McLelland has already practically said his goodbyes on Instagram recently, so would be surprised to see him back.

I didn't know that but not surprising I suppose. He was a bit over exuberant early doors but I thought that he was more composed latterly.

43 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Was McLelland not on loan from Hibs and always going to return there?

6 minutes ago, Mulberryblue said:

Was McLelland not on loan from Hibs and always going to return there?

I thought he was out of contract but he still has a year left.

48 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Kyle Doherty wasn’t even that good for us and couldn’t believe you paid money for him. Not even close to an average league 1 striker. 

FTFY.

Posted (edited)

Well, it is close season after all ... someone mentioned the 60 year gap since QOS last "graced" the top division.  Being bored I had a look back at the two divisions in 63/64 and compared then to the current status of each club in the four divisions of 2023/24 ...

image.png.3aa269a76ab4ece7d3d1f44f75656aa6.png

image.png.67fbecd9a60fdce52fbf03629e3dcfe7.png

To summarise:

14 of the 18 Division One clubs in 63/64 are still within the top 18 clubs in 23/24 (ie Premiership 12 + Top 6 Championship) - remarkably, relatively static? Or just indicative of the limited number of clubs/towns in Scotland able to sustain relatively high performance?

2 clubs from Division One in 63/64 have dropped out of the senior structure entirely (Third Lanark and East Stirling)

2 clubs from Division One in 63/64 are now operating at a lower level (Falkirk and QOS)

The total number of clubs has increased from 37 in 63/64 to 42 in 23/24 - an increase of 5 clubs

11 new clubs have been added to the structure: Ross County, Livingston, Inverness CT, Cove Rangers, Kelty Hearts, Annan Athletic, Edinburgh City, Peterhead, The Spartans, Elgin City and Bonnyrigg Rose

6 clubs have dropped out of the senior structure entirely: Third Lanark, East Stirling, Albion Rovers, Berwick Rangers, Brechin City and Cowdenbeath

Oh, and I should say (following the lead set earlier by @Artemis) - I've ignored the fact that some clubs that have had "name changes"/been reincarnated

and yes, yes as I said ... I am bored.

Edited by Otis Blue

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

100 percent agree with you

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Totally bemusing signing. His track record prior to us was lamentable. Why we signed him at all, never mind for 2 years defies belief. Negotiate a settlement if we can for him, Hutchison and McKechnie and cut our losses to allow Murphy to bring in his own signings

3 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

That's a shame as he looked to be the most promising of the next batch. Not totally surprising though as his first experience of Professional Football was his manager publicly criticizing him. Another of Bartley's failures!

He looked good in last season pre season  friendlys but for a change Bartley got it right criticising him for going on hoilday when the Viaplay Cup Ties were getting played .

Not seen a lot of the young players but he did look good but we can't keep paying them next to nothing and expect them to hang around .

Don’t know for sure but perhaps Murphy will want to keep McKechnie. He’s a very frustrating player but one a good manager can work with and improve.