The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

My camera is pish so forgive the quality. I'm still none the wiser who it was. He came on at CM though which I'm kind of disappointed with as I was hoping he was a striker. 

Couple of photos. Glad I captured Smith in that second one. Wouldn't have known he was there otherwise...

IMG_20240817_164338100.jpg

IMG_20240817_164342049.jpg

Mackenzie Strachan, apparently. Was at Rangers, had a loan at Stranraer last season.

looks about right

IMG_3933.webp.43076f91deb7240ba0a38f9890a2d76b.webp

2 hours ago, Rouky1 said:

Did Craik limp off before today's game?

Wasn't sure who it was at the time, he looked in a bit of discomfort. I thought it must be one of the subs when there was no change to the starting line-up.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

My camera is pish so forgive the quality. I'm still none the wiser who it was. He came on at CM though which I'm kind of disappointed with as I was hoping he was a striker. 

Couple of photos. Glad I captured Smith in that second one. Wouldn't have known he was there otherwise...

IMG_20240817_164338100.jpg

IMG_20240817_164342049.jpg

Tbh I was the same when I heard but thought he did well enough. It’s getting to a stage that I think we’ve someone lined up but waiting on another team bringing in someone. If Strachan is one of these low wage low risk type that we can develop over a season then I’ve no qualms. 

Onto today’s game, just want to say how remarkable the transformation is from last season with a good few players involved that were last year. The determination and passion is evident throughout the side and it’s the bare minimum we ask for as fans. I’m truly delighted with the direction the club is going at the moment after a good few years of demise. Well done to all involved. 

Along way to go on the park, still think we have levels/gears to move up, could see that with introduction of Dickenson and MacIntosh, along with Lyon still to come in and hopefully this elusive striker. But going without these so called big names I’d just like to give some praise to Ross Stewart, who not everyone including myself was too pleased about signing but he’s been solid in the 3 league games so far, Mikey Hewitt an absolute unsung hero an easy 7/10 most weeks and wee Josh Walker who as Murphy said himself could’ve chucked the dummy out last week but played a massive part in our comeback and today I thought again had a good game not only with the ball but absolutely dogged without which I didn’t think would be part of his game.

The players left over from last year a quick mention to Kyle Doherty and Harry Cochrane, who both look like different players under PM. 

There is a long way to go, but there’s a lot to be positive about so let’s enjoy 

38 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

... Mikey Hewitt an absolute unsung hero an easy 7/10 most weeks ...

Really liked what I saw of him up at EK and thought he was bloody immense today - clear MOTM for me today.

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

I’d just like to give some praise to Ross Stewart, who not everyone including myself was too pleased about signing but he’s been solid in the 3 league games so far,  

This. Agree with all of your post but this is definitely worth highlighting. My brother in law was there today and asked me pre game "Is that the GK you were raging they signed?". I said he's actually been absolutely fine so far, watch him have a howler today. The opposite in fact. His save in the first half was absolutely outstanding, in particular. 

He's always keeping the defence organised as well and quick off his line. He really hasn't put a foot wrong so far and long may he keep proving his critics (myself included) wrong. Maybe Murphy is exactly the kind of manager he's been needing. Also worth mentioning JC who if he's as positive an influence on the training park as he is off the field, could well be another major factor. 

37 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Really liked what I saw of him up at EK and thought he was bloody immense today - clear MOTM for me today.

Bizarrely enough I thought that was Hewitt's weakest game for us up until now and he was a solid 7 as qos1990 says. Think that says how good he's been so far. And he was by no means poor today. Those 3 at the back are as solid a foundation as we could hope for. 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Home to a side who will be favourites and bring a half decent crowd so we can get papped out asap for me. 

Cant make next two games so hoping for a home tie. Not the papped out bit although I get your point

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Home to a side who will be favourites and bring a half decent crowd so we can get papped out asap for me. 

Regardless of who we get, I would hope it will be an opportunity to play a good lot of the youngsters. 

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Remember, there's significantly more prize money in it this season. Won't change your view of the Diddy Cup I know, but it might be of more interest to the club ...

33 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Cant make next two games so hoping for a home tie. Not the papped out bit although I get your point

1 minute ago, Otis Blue said:

Remember, there's significantly more prize money in it this season. Won't change your view of the Diddy Cup I know, but it might be of more interest to the club ...

Aye I'll not go on about it this year. I'm really not arsed as long as we don't pick up any injuries. 

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I'll not go on about it this year. I'm really not arsed as long as we don't pick up any injuries. 

Just think we need to keep momentum building at this stage. Could be a game to give players needed mins in legs, ones coming back, ones not involved 

On 17/08/2024 at 21:24, lyle be back said:

Slightly off topic but having a laugh at the BBC L1 top scorers chart.

This is my only concern so far. Defence and Midfield are looking good and solid. Still a bit concerned we dont have a clinical striker. I know its early days and maybe macintosh will come good for a few goals, but there have been a couple of sitters that should have been put away. Not seen enough of Craik to know if hes clinical. McKechnie although scoring does miss some he should be getting atleast on target. Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Queens1919 said:

This is my only concern so far. Defence and Midfield are looking good and solid. Still a bit concerned we dont have a clinical striker. I know its early days and maybe macintosh will come good for a few goals, but there have been a couple of sitters that should have been put away. Not seen enough of Craik to know if hes clinical. McKechnie although scoring does miss some he should be getting atleast on target. Thoughts?

MacIntosh looks like he might do the business, if he can stay fit, Craik, (from what little I've seen of him) is enthusiastic, maybe to enthusiastic,  a bit raw, basically just tries to rumble up the defenders, injured again limping off at the end of Saturday's pre- match warm-up.  McKechnie isn't really a striker but can score the odd goal like Saturday's coming in from the wide areas, he's frustrating at times, doesn't see to do much then pops up with a good strike. Not a "through the middle" striker though imo. I'm not sure he'll be a regular starter if/when we ever get everyone fit. Doherty's strike record isn't that great, going by fans of his previous Clubs  but he's performed quite well in a deeper role this season, maybe another one who won't feature much in starting line-ups when others are fit. Bottom line is we probably do need to get another striker in, but the majority of clubs in the division are probably looking for the same thing, and you never know if they will be clinical until you see them play.