The Queen of the South thread

15 hours ago, Worcester Source said:

Afternoon All

My first post although a regular on here for a couple of years

A Birmingham City fan first and foremost but with a soft spot for QoS and Forfar!

We've just announced the signing of Lyndon Dykes - obvs learned his trade with QoS and developed since at Livi and QPR but what type of player can we expect? We've spent more than the rest of L1 since our relegation and I think he's the 14th new face with Scott Wright of Rangers rumoured to be the imminent 15th

We've also signed Alfie May who's been prolific at L1 so think if him and Dykes play together as a front two or May in the no 10, we could be in for some goals!

I didn't actually like him at Queens, I always felt someone playing up front with Dobbie should have been able to find enough space to score a lot more goals than he did.

For Scotland however (I was amazed when he made the team in the first place), he has been their best defender! I think he's really good at "pressing" and makes it really difficult for teams to build from the back, which,of course, is a huge thing in the modern game.

10 hours ago, qos_75 said:

I see the replacement for the tanner fund is now up and running.

Anything that brings in some more funds for the club can only be a good thing.

https://www.qosfc.com/news-6478

...Chance to win away travel for a match with the first team...

As long as Efe isn't the driver that should be ok.

1 hour ago, Biblemaster said:

I didn't actually like him at Queens, I always felt someone playing up front with Dobbie should have been able to find enough space to score a lot more goals than he did.

For Scotland however (I was amazed when he made the team in the first place), he has been their best defender! I think he's really good at "pressing" and makes it really difficult for teams to build from the back, which,of course, is a huge thing in the modern game.

I must admit in Dykes' early time with us I wasn't a great fan but put that down to, shall we say, off-field distractions affecting his on- field performances, he certainly didn't look like future International material. Once he got settled though he proved to be a vital player and was greatly instrumental in Dobbie achieving his goals tally. He could be frustrating at times, seemed to lack a bit of composure when presented with scoring opportunities, something that experience at a higher level has obviously rectified. I never really considered him an out and out striker though, more someone to do the spadework for the likes of Dobbie, and I'm sure Dobbie has given credit to Dykes for his part in him reaching his goals tally. Wish Dykes all the best for the future.

2 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

... For Scotland however (I was amazed when he made the team in the first place), he has been their best defender! I think he's really good at "pressing" and makes it really difficult for teams to build from the back, which,of course, is a huge thing in the modern game.

Yeah, I'd agree with this.  I thought Dykes was good with us and deserved to be at a higher club level but was surprised he made it to international level (he wouldn't have made that breakthrough with larger nations).  His biggest asset was his work rate, chasing down lost causes and being a complete pest for opposing defences, creating spaces/opportunities for others - ie the Dobbster.  I never saw him as an outright goal threat.

29 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

More galloping revisionism regarding Dykes' contribution at Palmerston I see.

^^^ Dearie me ... you must be the life and soul of any party MT! 😐

20 hours ago, qos_75 said:

I see the replacement for the tanner fund is now up and running.

Anything that brings in some more funds for the club can only be a good thing.

https://www.qosfc.com/news-6478

That's (Club 1919) a great initiative from the club ... fair play, well done to those behind it. 👍👌😎

19 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Fckin love the connection with Boro 🕰️🤜🏼🤛🏼

Damn right 😎 (As my PS gamertag can attest to :lol:

Have to say, I'm delighted but surprised another body is incoming.

Edited by 19QOS19

Another attacking option! The last wide player we had from Boro was rather good. 

Left winger who's chipped in with a few goals at youth level. Hopefully has a spell as good as Izzy. 

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Another attacking option! The last wide player we had from Boro was rather good. 

Left winger who's chipped in with a few goals at youth level. Hopefully has a spell as good as Izzy. 

Read on Twitter he’s apparently had a fair bit of injury issues, hopefully he’s over that by now.

2 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Read on Twitter he’s apparently had a fair bit of injury issues, hopefully he’s over that by now.

Aye hopefully. According to Boro it's until January so worst case he gets sent back. Although hopefully he has a great spell with us. 

1 hour ago, ALOREBURNE said:

IMG_6505.jpeg

When if first read it I thought we had signed Pharell Williams. I wasn’t wearing my glasses at the time.

I’m happy now, though. 

1 hour ago, qos_75 said:

When if first read it I thought we had signed Pharell Williams. I wasn’t wearing my glasses at the time.

I’m happy now, though. 

To be fair I thought that too. Thought we would have some Despicable Me soundtracks to run out to. Hope he is as good as Isiah

Edited by lyle be back
Isiah was good but probably not a god

18 hours ago, lyle be back said:

To be fair I thought that too. Thought we would have some Despicable Me soundtracks to run out to. Hope he is as good as Isiah

Surprised to see him not get on given we were chasing the match at 0-1. 

I said I would give it to end August before giving my view on where we are at: 

Positives

The impact that McLinden, Armstrong etc have made on communications, social media, community etc is chalk and cheese vs the old regime. A real feel good atmosphere early doors. 

On paper we have a stronger and better pool. 

In the top 4. 

Negatives

To be honest our form is mediocre and if we compare it to last season we have 7 points vs 9. 

It’s not inspiring to watch as we have failed to score in 5 games out of 9.

We have had a lot of crucial injuries but that seems to be the case every season now and we are not alone in having key players out, see the ICT today for instance. 

In this even league it’s disappointing as favourites, deemed by many, to see us already 4 points behind Kelty. 

Murphy needs to prove his management chops soon and start getting us results. Let’s see where we are end of Q1 but I’m a bit underwhelmed with the way we are playing and results to date. 

Just my perspective…..

Edited by HighlandQueen

10 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Surprised to see him not get on given we were chasing the match at 0-1. 

I said I would give it to end August before giving my view on where we are at: 

Positives

The impact that McLinden, Armstrong etc have made on communications, social media, community etc is chalk and cheese vs the old regime. A real feel good atmosphere early doors. 

On paper we have a stronger and better pool. 

In the top 4. 

Negatives

To be honest our form is mediocre and if we compare it to last season we have 7 points vs 9. 

It’s not inspiring to watch as we have failed to score in 5 games out of 9.

We have had a lot of crucial injuries but that seems to be the case every season now and we are not alone in having key players out, see the ICT today for instance. 

In this even league it’s disappointing as favourites, deemed by many, to see us already 4 points behind Kelty. 

Murphy needs to prove his management chops soon and start getting us results. Let’s see where we are end of Q1 but I’m a bit underwhelmed with the way we are playing and results to date. 

Just my perspective…..

Well between me writing this and seeing results at least Kelty conceded late to draw. Still my point remains we need to start getting some results as 7 points out of 15 just isn’t good enough