The Queen of the South thread

11 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Surprised to see him not get on given we were chasing the match at 0-1. 

I said I would give it to end August before giving my view on where we are at: 

Positives

The impact that McLinden, Armstrong etc have made on communications, social media, community etc is chalk and cheese vs the old regime. A real feel good atmosphere early doors. 

On paper we have a stronger and better pool. 

In the top 4. 

Negatives

To be honest our form is mediocre and if we compare it to last season we have 7 points vs 9. 

It’s not inspiring to watch as we have failed to score in 5 games out of 9.

We have had a lot of crucial injuries but that seems to be the case every season now and we are not alone in having key players out, see the ICT today for instance. 

In this even league it’s disappointing as favourites, deemed by many, to see us already 4 points behind Kelty. 

Murphy needs to prove his management chops soon and start getting us results. Let’s see where we are end of Q1 but I’m a bit underwhelmed with the way we are playing and results to date. 

Just my perspective…..

We are not 4 points behind anyone.

4 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Positives

The impact that McLinden, Armstrong etc have made on communications, social media, community etc is chalk and cheese vs the old regime. A real feel good atmosphere early doors. 

In the top 4. 

Negatives

To be honest our form is mediocre and if we compare it to last season we have 7 points vs 9. 

We have had a lot of crucial injuries but that seems to be the case every season now and we are not alone in having key players out, see the ICT today for instance. 

In this even league it’s disappointing as favourites, deemed by many, to see us already 4 points behind Kelty. 

Murphy needs to prove his management chops soon and start getting us results. Let’s see where we are end of Q1 but I’m a bit underwhelmed with the way we are playing and results to date. 

Just my perspective…..

What worries me is we don't create anything 3 shots on targets in 2 games is not good enough .

We need to change our set up we play far to negative would rather us having a go but even if we do that I just don't see who will get us goals

We have a few injuries but every club has that so that can't be used as a  excuse .

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

What worries me is we don't create anything 3 shots on targets in 2 games is not good enough .

We need to change our set up we play far to negative would rather us having a go but even if we do that I just don't see who will get us goals

We have a few injuries but every club has that so that can't be used as a  excuse .

I agree

On 30/08/2024 at 20:02, QoS99 said:

Read on Twitter he’s apparently had a fair bit of injury issues, hopefully he’s over that by now.

Luckily for him we don't see many players picking up injuries here.

14 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Positives

In the top 4. 

Negatives

Just my perspective…..

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of things.

We have made several good signings and we look solid enough at the back and competitive in midfield. That is an improvement on last season. Unfortunately, on the creativity front we are sadly lacking. Early days but Kennedy has been anonymous. I remember him as a real handful, taking on defenders, getting in behind and generally creating mayhem. There is a player in there but Manager needs to help restore his confidence and find a position that suits him and the team. As arguably our most experienced and potentially best player Dickensen has to really stamp his authority on the proceedings. You look around at the attacking options - it is a pretty bleak landscape. Hopes are being pinned on young Bryden because McIntosh is limited and there will not be many Queens' fans who realistically think that either Doherty or McKechnie will "cut the mustard" and get us goals.

As others have said this is a really poor League 1 - if we cannot clamber out this season it is reasonable to assume that subsequent opponents will be a lot tougher.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

We have made several good signings and we look solid enough at the back and competitive in midfield. That is an improvement on last season. Unfortunately, on the creativity front we are sadly lacking. Early days but Kennedy has been anonymous. I remember him as a real handful, taking on defenders, getting in behind and generally creating mayhem. There is a player in there but Manager needs to help restore his confidence and find a position that suits him and the team. As arguably our most experienced and potentially best player Dickensen has to really stamp his authority on the proceedings. You look around at the attacking options - it is a pretty bleak landscape. Hopes are being pinned on young Bryden because McIntosh is limited and there will not be many Queens' fans who realistically think that either Doherty or McKechnie will "cut the mustard" and get us goals.

As others have said this is a really poor League 1 - if we cannot clamber out this season it is reasonable to assume that subsequent opponents will be a lot tougher.

We seem to be going down the route of signing young forwards which is a huge gamble that right now is now even close to working .

We have hard working players but no spark or pace anywhere it seems one pass forward two passes back .

Somehow we need to find a cutting edge or it is going to be a long hard season that will have the same ending as when Marv was manager .

I do wonder if Murphy sees this as at least a two season project.  I think in his playing days he was mainly a defender and so it's not surprising that he's focused his squad re-build budget on the defence and midfield, making us far more solid than in previous seasons.  It seems that he's used his budget more sparsely on the forward areas, and it could be implied from that that he might intend to focus more of his budget in the forward areas next season - hence a two year project.  Of course this could all just be more mince from me!

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

100 percent. You nailed it. I’ve been really disappointed in Kennedy and McIntosh but hopefully Willis and Bryden will kick on. Neither Doherty or McKechnie inspire me with confidence. Craik is a puzzle, young guy and early doors so need to give him a chance but either been injured or not imposed himself in his time in the pitch so far. You are absolutely on the money. This is the most even league for a long time and our best chance to get out of L1. We need to make this count.

No interview up yet from Murphy. I would like to hear his perspective on yesterday as I couldn’t make it and will miss the next couple of games as on hols. 

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I do wonder if Murphy sees this as at least a two season project.  I think in his playing days he was mainly a defender and so it's not surprising that he's focused his squad re-build budget on the defence and midfield, making us far more solid than in previous seasons.  It seems that he's used his budget more sparsely on the forward areas, and it could be implied from that that he might intend to focus more of his budget in the forward areas next season - hence a two year project.  Of course this could all just be more mince from me!

In one of his interviews he did say that he would rather this was a two year project but realised that this might not be acceptable. I really fear for us getting goals this season. 

5 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

100 percent. You nailed it. I’ve been really disappointed in Kennedy and McIntosh but hopefully Willis and Bryden will kick on. Neither Doherty or McKechnie inspire me with confidence. Craik is a puzzle, young guy and early doors so need to give him a chance but either been injured or not imposed himself in his time in the pitch so far. You are absolutely on the money. This is the most even league for a long time and our best chance to get out of L1. We need to make this count.

No interview up yet from Murphy. I would like to hear his perspective on yesterday as I couldn’t make it and will miss the next couple of games as on hols. 

On the forwards ...

Kennedy has talent, can wrong foot defenders and can find space - but he's never going to score heavily, creating opportunities for others is more his game.

McKechnie's directness and pace can cause problems for defences, think he's better on the wing but his final ball/decision making needs improved.  He's never going to score heavily either and through the middle isn't his position.  Might be best used as an impact sub against tiring defenders. Big season for him if he wants to stay.

Doherty is strong, can retain posession, but he's no goal scorer.  Won't be here next season I think.

McIntosh from what I've seen is just a bit meh, not a serious threat up front - don't think he'll be here next season.

Craik is just a young lad starting in the game - only seen him up at EK and he seemed to get bullied by their defenders.  Still a young boy with time to bulk up and improve - but he's not going to get us goals this season.

Bryden is quite well thought of by the Ayr fans but I haven't really seen him apart from his late cameo at Montrose.  We need to hope he can stay fit and get some goals.

Willis, the young lad just in from Boro - don't know much about, but think he's a winger and should be more of a creator than a finisher.

So that's my take on our forward options - pretty much means that we're reliant on the midfield pitching in with goals this season.

Can whoever creates the next match thread please return to the superfluous apostrophe format? Not that I'm superstitious but I've noticed a pattern so far. 

v Alloa - no apostrophes - draw

v Cove - apostrophes - win

v Annan - apostrophes - win

v Montrose - no apostrophes - loss

v ICT - no apostrophes - loss

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

Not that I'm superstitious but I've noticed a pattern so far. 

v Alloa - no apostrophes - draw

v Cove - apostrophes - win

v Annan - apostrophes - win

v Montrose - no apostrophes - loss

v ICT - no apostrophes - loss

In addition, misspell or completely  change the name of Kevin McAnecknee, he scores!

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

When I spelled Dickenson's name wrongly, he was excellent when he came on.

We're onto something here.

Agreed. 

Hopefully Paul Murphy gets the team set up right for next weekend. 

I would play 

Stuart

Howlett, Hannay Bruton 

Kenedi Lyons Lucid Dickinson Kirk

Brydon Willett

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Agreed. 

Hopefully Paul Murphy gets the team set up right for next weekend. 

I would play 

Stuart

Howlett, Hannay Bruton 

Kenedi Lyons Lucid Dickinson Kirk

Brydon Willett

A Queen's team we can all get behind.