The Queen of the South thread

Just because

I know you're being kind of light hearted, but seriously, what do you mean?

You're obviously very involved in the functioning of the OS and your remarks are therefore a bit cryptic.

The posting is attributed to Bill Goldie and has his trademark inclusion of superfluous single quoatation marks in virtually every sentence. I'm therefore assuming you didn't actually post it.

In my view the omission of the pretty standard vote of thanks is surprising, so your instruction to ignore such things seems odd.

Can you enlighten me any?

Rumour on another Aberdeen site that we've offered a nominal fee for Craig Reid - thoughts on this - and its plausibility?

I'd have thought if we were looking at QOS players, Harris or Burns would be higher up the list or at least not, what seems to be, the only player at QOS who would require a transfer fee!

You're obviously very involved in the functioning of the OS and your remarks are therefore a bit cryptic.

The posting is attributed to Bill Goldie and has his trademark inclusion of superfluous single quoatation marks in virtually every sentence. I'm therefore assuming you didn't actually post it.

In my view the omission of the pretty standard vote of thanks is surprising, so your instruction to ignore such things seems odd.

:lol: Not just me that's noticed that then, thank God. Sometimes it can be a 'pain in the arse'! ;)

Rumour on another Aberdeen site that we've offered a nominal fee for Craig Reid - thoughts on this - and its plausibility?

I'd have thought if we were looking at QOS players, Harris or Burns would be higher up the list or at least not, what seems to be, the only player at QOS who would require a transfer fee!

Our player of the year - our BOD will no doubt flog him for a pittance.

Im not being light hearted. Im not going to say any more on it, though, sorry.

Gordon Chisholm. He has been offered the managers job at QUEENS.He has asked for the weekend to think about it before he gives a answer to David Rae.I have said on our Mad board that he would be offered the job wonder now if he will take it ?

As much as I liked Chisholm as a Queens manager I think it would be a huge mistake to take him back,the way he left us for Dundee lost him a lot of respect from me.

However,if he did get the job it would be worth it just to read some of kirkyblue's classic one liners again(obviously copy/pasted from previous posts).

Unfortunately I think the story is shite.

I'd imagine the board will see it as an opportunity to get rid of another of our high earning players. Good player but maybe not as well equipped to take the step up as Harris or Burns.

I'd imagine the board will see it as an opportunity to get rid of another of our high earning players. Good player but maybe not as well equipped to take the step up as Harris or Burns.

is burns going to st.mirren or is that alot of shite?

Fair enough.

Maybe best in future then, to resist the temptation to make your little cryptic observations on such matters.

What I said wasnt cryptic, it was very straightforward. But, youre right, I will resist the temptation to say anything in future

Really? Burns has shown his ability over a longer period, but the Reid we saw last season looked every bit as capable of playing at a higher level than Harris.

Edited by Mr X

The top part I agree with 100%. I touched on that in a post last week somewhere on here. I don't think either he or the Board expected him to be the next manager when he took caretaker charge last season but results were so good and the players made it clear they wanted him and it's hard to then not appoint him. He said from the word go, on the record, that he didn't like dealing with the aspects of management away from the training ground and dressing room. He hated the media requirements, he didn't want to know about player contracts and wasn't keen on negotiations and even fan interaction wasn't his forte though he ultimately achieved having a fair number eat out of his hand.

I'm not sure it was "extreme" circumstances. He's had a lot less to work with than recent managers but he does tend to exaggerate a lot of it to his own benefit.

This.

As I've said before Brannigan did a decent job footballing wise. He didn't work miracles and our first eleven was as good as anybody's except maybe Dunfermline's. Getting what was effectively 5th in points terms wasn't astonishing, it was acceptable. No more, no less. He certainly didn't under-achieve but it wasn't a massive over-achievement either. We might even have got nearer to 3rd if the fixture pile up hadn't arrived too which exaggerated the thinness of the squad. He got quite lucky with injuries with McKenzie and Lilley's pre-season apart nobody picking up anything serious until losing Holmes and Burns for a bit of the run in. By then it was irrelevant, though I'll concede Holmes and Johnston in particular, and probably Burns and Lilley, played through injuries for a while.

However, in other aspects of the job he was awful. His pr was poor from the start and he was almost discouraging of supporters coming along when the competitive stuff started. Charitably his press interviews were just dreadful because he's hopeless with them, uncharitably his attempts to work the press to his advantage backfired spectacularly. As someone said earlier, whilst there's no doubt the Board don't come out of all this smelling of roses either, they've managed to deal with other managers happily enough, including in Scott and McCall, managers that they dispensed with. That this has clearly become a "them and me" situation cannot purely be down to the Board.

His position has been absolutely untenable for me since the infamous "They have treated me and the players like dogs" interview with the Standard the week before the cup final. I'd have sacked him that day if it was down to me, especially after the statement he then issued claiming it was a rehash of an old interview which was then retracted within an hour or two. Farcical.

I'd be quite surprised if Brannigan got another management gig directly at anything like this level. He's not cut out for a modern managerial role. He's a good coach who works well with players and if he's getting back into full time football it will surely be as a No 2. I don't think he'll ever change, I don't think he's got any desire to do so, and that's why I'd be surprised if he ever makes a good manager. Which isn't to say I personally dislike him because I don't. He can be a good raconteur and good company and I hope he does get another job in football soon. I wish him well but I won't mourn his departure from the manager's position.

An excellent post

KB has gone to the NOTW. Thought he didn't like talking to the media. He really is acting like a total dick.

So a man who is under contract to QOS until 31st May goes to the press to make the point, amongst others, that his employers have forbidden him from speaking to the press.

Priceless. Grounds for dismissal surely :lol:

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Reid has been our best player for around 18 months, held the defence together last season and is a much improved player than the one we signed in 2008 who would just chase the ball.

Aye very good. Any game I have watched that he has played in over the last season, he has contributed to be at fault almost a goal a game. If kicking the ball the way you are facing makes him the player of the year, then you really are fucked!

No-one is coming out of this situation looking particularly great, I think it's time for KB to stop talking and the Board to start.

Rumours of Chisholm returning over on Mad world have me greatly concerned, if it is true I will be finding a new Saturday afternoon activity.

I , like many others I suspect , assumed that the Board had already decided months ago that Brannigan was out at the end of the season and had no great problem with that.

I had also assumed that the Board also were actively planning for a successor and a skeleton squad with the likes of Burns,McMenamin,McKenna etc to be retained on realistic wages.

Sadly , and worryingly , this would appear to be wildly optimistic on my part.

We now appear increasingly like a latter day version of the Titanic , with a board comforting themselves by rearranging the deck chairs with the new season only 8 weeks away.

Grim times ahead I'm afraid - a new Harkness era beckons.

No-one is coming out of this situation looking particularly great, I think it's time for KB to stop talking and the Board to start.

Rumours of Chisholm returning over on Mad world have me greatly concerned, if it is true I will be finding a new Saturday afternoon activity.

If Rae employs another bum then I will also find something else to do.(cue MrX telling Rae to appoint Scally)