The Queen of the South thread

I dont recall ever backing Chisholm "to the hilt". I certainly wasnt that bothered when he went. Since he went, its become clear that he was given far more money than a) he should have been and b) any other managers have had. Therefore, what looked like a decent record is now only mediocre.

Selective memory maybe, anyway it would be the end of the world if he came back.

Gordon Chisholm. He has been offered the managers job at QUEENS.He has asked for the weekend to think about it before he gives a answer to David Rae.I have said on our Mad board that he would be offered the job wonder now if he will take it ?

Stop making shite up.

In McKenna you may have found the younger fitter version of Neil Macfarlane which is what he originally was for us. Last season though he was an infuriating ned and a complete liability with his knack of picking up bookings on a game by game basis. Mostly completely unnecessary as well. When available he will do you a turn and can fill in at CB or RB when required. Starts the season with a FIVE match ban though which will be the first of many.

As Mr X said, when it came through it turned out to be a four match ban, not the five match one we all expected.

I don't quite know what happened to the McKenna we signed last season. He appeared to pack up and leave sometime about Xmas with the bad weather and was replaced with an undisciplined anti-football automatic booking android! I'm astonished some people were still quoting him for Player of the Year latterly. He filled in well at centre back when Lilley and Harris were out but his 2011 midfield contributions were usually limited to a booking and constant backwards passing. I'm not sure I'd have actually offered him a new deal based on his recent showings and we certainly can't afford to be spending money on players who spend 8 or 9 league games a season sitting in the stand suspended. I'm surprised he's found a club who are prepared to employ someone who will spend his first month suspended too.

The top part I agree with 100%. I touched on that in a post last week somewhere on here. I don't think either he or the Board expected him to be the next manager when he took caretaker charge last season but results were so good and the players made it clear they wanted him and it's hard to then not appoint him. He said from the word go, on the record, that he didn't like dealing with the aspects of management away from the training ground and dressing room. He hated the media requirements, he didn't want to know about player contracts and wasn't keen on negotiations and even fan interaction wasn't his forte though he ultimately achieved having a fair number eat out of his hand.

I'm not sure it was "extreme" circumstances. He's had a lot less to work with than recent managers but he does tend to exaggerate a lot of it to his own benefit.

This.

As I've said before Brannigan did a decent job footballing wise. He didn't work miracles and our first eleven was as good as anybody's except maybe Dunfermline's. Getting what was effectively 5th in points terms wasn't astonishing, it was acceptable. No more, no less. He certainly didn't under-achieve but it wasn't a massive over-achievement either. We might even have got nearer to 3rd if the fixture pile up hadn't arrived too which exaggerated the thinness of the squad. He got quite lucky with injuries with McKenzie and Lilley's pre-season apart nobody picking up anything serious until losing Holmes and Burns for a bit of the run in. By then it was irrelevant, though I'll concede Holmes and Johnston in particular, and probably Burns and Lilley, played through injuries for a while.

However, in other aspects of the job he was awful. His pr was poor from the start and he was almost discouraging of supporters coming along when the competitive stuff started. Charitably his press interviews were just dreadful because he's hopeless with them, uncharitably his attempts to work the press to his advantage backfired spectacularly. As someone said earlier, whilst there's no doubt the Board don't come out of all this smelling of roses either, they've managed to deal with other managers happily enough, including in Scott and McCall, managers that they dispensed with. That this has clearly become a "them and me" situation cannot purely be down to the Board.

His position has been absolutely untenable for me since the infamous "They have treated me and the players like dogs" interview with the Standard the week before the cup final. I'd have sacked him that day if it was down to me, especially after the statement he then issued claiming it was a rehash of an old interview which was then retracted within an hour or two. Farcical.

I'd be quite surprised if Brannigan got another management gig directly at anything like this level. He's not cut out for a modern managerial role. He's a good coach who works well with players and if he's getting back into full time football it will surely be as a No 2. I don't think he'll ever change, I don't think he's got any desire to do so, and that's why I'd be surprised if he ever makes a good manager. Which isn't to say I personally dislike him because I don't. He can be a good raconteur and good company and I hope he does get another job in football soon. I wish him well but I won't mourn his departure from the manager's position.

Can't argue with the points there SD. Have to agree with you perhaps a No2 or purely coaching position might suit the big fella better.

This. I agree with it entirely. I would be certain that the Board will have taken legal advice on how to act with respect to Brannigan's departure though even so parts of it have been handled badly and if he has now received a letter (which he is quoted as saying he has so I presume it's the case) then the OS at least should carry a statement about the position. Hopefully one will follow on Monday when people are back at work.

In fact there is a brief statement on the OS now I see, posted about 20 minutes ago.

In fact there is a brief statement on the OS now I see, posted about 20 minutes ago.

Brief, but quite interesting. It mentions that he was part of the set-up that reached the Cup Final/Europe, but his managerial stint is very quickly glossed over.

A "We'd like to thank him for his efforts" is conspicuous by its absence.

This is either a careless omission, or there is serious bad blood there.

Brief, but quite interesting. It mentions that he was part of the set-up that reached the Cup Final/Europe, but his managerial stint is very quickly glossed over.

A "We'd like to thank him for his efforts" is conspicuous by its absence.

This is either a careless omission, or there is serious bad blood there.

I wouldnt pore over the minutia of the wording too much, if I were you

He got quite lucky with injuries with McKenzie and Lilley's pre-season apart nobody picking up anything serious until losing Holmes and Burns for a bit of the run in. By then it was irrelevant, though I'll concede Holmes and Johnston in particular, and probably Burns and Lilley, played through injuries for a while.

Your point still stands, but you missed out Quinn. He was quite a serious loss late on and we looked better when he came back.

Your point still stands, but you missed out Quinn. He was quite a serious loss late on and we looked better when he came back.

Thats fair yes. I simply forgot about his month out when posting that. Again though, like Burns and Holmes, his absence occurred after we'd already been left well behind by the top two.

I have been in the pub with my good lady since 3 pm today and I am glad to say the alcohol has made me forgotet how bad things are Palmerston. I have to say things are looking like bad days of Harkness. :(

I have been in the pub with my good lady since 3 pm today and I am glad to say the alcohol has made me forgotet how bad things are Palmerston. I have to say things are looking like bad days of Harkness. :(

Willie Harkness had his faults but I don't think the club was ever in much debt when he was the chairman. I think David Rae has ruined the club, we need to get him out before he finishes the club off altogether.

We're fucked. Simple as.

It's definitely not looking good.

It would be good to know which direction the board are taking the club, full time/part time, or maybe they don't know yet themselves.

It's definitely not looking good.

It would be good to know which direction the board are taking the club, full time/part time, or maybe they don't know yet themselves.

Sadly, I don't think they have a clue what they're doing. KB had to go as his position was untenable following his unproductive public utterances, and the BoD must have known for some time that his contract was not getting renewed. We have already lost Mcmenamin and McKenna, two of our better players. It is inevitable they will be joined by Burns and Harris, two even better players. Including the three that have been released: Lilley, Holmes and McLaren, we've lost seven of our usual starting XI. I am sure we will lose some others as well. Who exactly is making the decision to release players and offer reduced contracts to some of the others? I think it's obvious that these decisions are being made by the BoD; that to me is a sorry state of affairs, when we should have a manager in place to assess the squad and spend his budget as he sees fit. County, a side with many of their players already under contract have signed Mcmenamin and reapppointed Derek Adams as their manager. We have re-signed noone and do not even have a manager. I know there are severe budgetary constraints, brought about by financial mismanagement by the current BoD, but we now need to see some leadership and vision. I will not be holding my breath.