The Queen of the South thread

10 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Well done  on your   ....er ...  Survival , pretty damn shocking when you think about it though  a full time team staving off league two 

What disappoints me most is the apparent lack of "protest " from your fans at the ground  (correct me if i am wrong )  i mean a pitch(fork)invasion would not be out of order all things considered with a lynching of your manager the priority , the fact that you are considering that he might be there next season is depressing and i aint even a supporter .

on another note which won't make you feel much better is that we have been discussing your ex defender  David Mackay 

he really seems to have turned it around and has contributed well recently albeit had a poor start early season , seems to have been a good move for him .

As has been said pretty often, our fans "protest" by just staying away, you'll also get the odd chorus of "Bartley Bartley get tae f*ck" from a few, but there is a feeling of lethargy that's been spreading through the Club for a few seasons now, no surprise that its seeped down to the fans. The current 3 man Board are all stepping down, we've currently got 1 new Director in place for next season, the fans just feel that no-one in control at present seems to give a shit.

As for D McKay, I think he suffered a bit from being a bit of a scapegoat if the team had a bad game ( plenty to choose from) and fell out of the side. Could just be a case of some Clubs are a better fit for certain players.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

8 hours ago, cooshedder said:

30 players on pennies or 20 on good money and bonuses hope it's bowsers choice but probably Murphy,  Thanks for the win marv at least your free for  TV this week 

Is he away?

17 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

To me looks more likely he will stay due to Board inertia and lack of cash to pay him off. In which case time to get rid of that utter dud Murray and get a proper experienced assistant with any type of ability in…

It doesn't matter who his assistant is. Bartley is utterly intransigent. He's got football management cracked and it's everyone else's fault we're "utter dugmeat".

I know we all want "rid" but for me Marvin's going nowhere and we've got him for next season (or most of it).  The current (half way out the door) board certainly aren't pressing the eject button, that's clearly apparent.

I also think that Marvin's not daft, he was probably quite smart in negotiating his 2+ year contract.  I'm guessing that he'd have known that the club was struggling financially and that a longer term contract would mean that he'd likely get through most of his term in post - as the club wouldn't have the dosh to punt him till nearer the end of his term.  That way he'd be sure to get the best part of a couple of years to "learn his trade" and make some inevitable mistakes along the way, as would any rookie boss.  So for me, I doubt Marvin's been feeling any real pressure at all and probably feels fairly secure going into the close season.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see any managerial changes coming soon.

It’s extremely patronising for Bartley and many of his players in interviews repeatedly saying “we should never be in this position”.

Hold on a minute like every other team we will have had 36 games to prove our season end credentials. He has had a squad of almost 30 players at his disposal  and has won 5 games at home. There is nothing remotely undeserved about our finishing position in fact but for a late rally it could have been a lot worse.

22 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

It’s extremely patronising for Bartley and many of his players in interviews repeatedly saying “we should never be in this position”.

Hold on a minute like every other team we will have had 36 games to prove our season end credentials. He has had a squad of almost 30 players at his disposal  and has won 5 games at home. There is nothing remotely undeserved about our finishing position in fact but for a late rally it could have been a lot worse.

I don't think there's any question we deserve to be where we are. The table doesn't lie. But I also think it's fair to say we should never have been fighting in a relegation battle given our resources compared to the other clubs down at the bottom. If it was an acceptable performance we wouldn't all be wanting Bartley sacked. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think there's any question we deserve to be where we are. The table doesn't lie. But I also think it's fair to say we should never have been fighting in a relegation battle given our resources compared to the other clubs down at the bottom. If it was an acceptable performance we wouldn't all be wanting Bartley sacked. 

As you well know I’m no fan of Murphy. But Bartley has given you untold grief this season. Even Humza in the end said he’d fucked up big time ( didn’t use those words ) and fell on his sword.

On 30/04/2024 at 16:38, annan4eva said:

As you well know I’m no fan of Murphy. But Bartley has given you untold grief this season. Even Humza in the end said he’d fucked up big time ( didn’t use those words ) and fell on his sword.

You aren’t a fan of a guy who’s quite literally your clubs most successful manager? 

40 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You aren’t a fan of a guy who’s quite literally your clubs most successful manager? 

You'd think it's mental when you say it like that but I'm not a fan of Gordon Chisholm and he was in charge during our best spell of the last few decades. I've no idea if he's statistically the best manager we've had mind you. For me it was a remarkable achievement yet I felt that side had more to give and IMO was the best chance we've had/will have to get into the top flight and we were way off doing that. 

On Murphy though I think Annan have a ceiling and they're at it now, if not poking their head above it. I don't know if Murphy would be a good appointment for us but from the outside looking in he's done an incredible job at Annan and would certainly be worth a gamble. 

45 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You'd think it's mental when you say it like that but I'm not a fan of Gordon Chisholm and he was in charge during our best spell of the last few decades. I've no idea if he's statistically the best manager we've had mind you. For me it was a remarkable achievement yet I felt that side had more to give and IMO was the best chance we've had/will have to get into the top flight and we were way off doing that. 

On Murphy though I think Annan have a ceiling and they're at it now, if not poking their head above it. I don't know if Murphy would be a good appointment for us but from the outside looking in he's done an incredible job at Annan and would certainly be worth a gamble. 

I think Jim McIntyre’s side was better than Chisolm’s. 

If ever you need an example of a business with a snapped rudder....

• A Board on the way out who have no defined replacements bar one appointment (and seemingly rejecting a local consortium due to demands of new director)
  • A Manager who has completely failed to deliver and waiting on receiving his jotters on Saturday evening/Sunday morning (hopefully)
  • Stadium in need of investment and some basic HSE interventions
  • Tanner Fund folding due to various issues
  • Back to Back annual financial losses

And this is only a few points that are `glaringly obvious to the eye.  I hope that there is further news on the board front imminently so things can start to be addressed and next season planned for.  Its a full restart that is needed and if the board (new or old) do not sanction the sacking of MB, then I genuinely am concerned for the support next season.  The financial losses (imho) can only be addressed by the new board engaging fully with the fans and making them feel part of the kirk and getting them gee'd up for next season in a positive manner. If they fail to sack MB and they continue to fart about with attracting new board members (with local content) those fans that have been lost in this last couple of seasons (and beyond) will not return....simple fact.

15 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

There you go, your comments regarding Chisholm are interesting. As far as your take on Murphy I’m just not at all convinced ( if we manage to avoid relegation ) it will be down to his managerial skills. A clubs ceiling/ objective for a forthcoming season will always be determined by how well a manager uses the budget hes given and id give Murphy credit for bringing in Gibson ( IF HE DID ? ) who has made a big difference along with the loaneE from Newcastle ( which had nothing to do with PM ).

3 hours ago, Mon_The_South said:

• A Board on the way out who have no defined replacements bar one appointment (and seemingly rejecting a local consortium due to demands of new director)
  • A Manager who has completely failed to deliver and waiting on receiving his jotters on Saturday evening/Sunday morning (hopefully)

And this is only a few points that are `glaringly obvious to the eye.  I hope that there is further news on the board front imminently so things can start to be addressed and next season planned for.  Its a full restart that is needed and if the board (new or old) do not sanction the sacking of MB, then I genuinely am concerned for the support next season.  The financial losses (imho) can only be addressed by the new board engaging fully with the fans and making them feel part of the kirk and getting them gee'd up for next season in a positive manner. If they fail to sack MB and they continue to fart about with attracting new board members (with local content) those fans that have been lost in this last couple of seasons (and beyond) will not return....simple fact.

This ^^^ and to me as for the great work everyone at the Tanned Fund does, it's a real slap in the face. It just seems to me they're  not interested in local engagement.

Very worrying times for our club, sadly.

4 hours ago, Mon_The_South said:

What’s the demands of the new director bit all about?

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

What’s the demands of the new director bit all about?

Without shooting a messenger, I was told that he (JM) was asked about 3 local businessmen joining his board but seemingly (I use seemingly as this is Dumfries rumour mill 🙂 ) he said no, as if he brought three people he didn't know in, they would vote for their own ideas and he wouldn't get his own way..

39 minutes ago, Mon_The_South said:

Without shooting a messenger, I was told that he (JM) was asked about 3 local businessmen joining his board but seemingly (I use seemingly as this is Dumfries rumour mill 🙂 ) he said no, as if he brought three people he didn't know in, they would vote for their own ideas and he wouldn't get his own way..

A) is it "his" Board? Has he been elected Chairman?

B) if true, it sounds like he wants something similar to what we've got now, a Chaiman and two nodding lapdogs. Surely people having their own ideas and views is what a democratically run Board is all about.

49 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

A) is it "his" Board? Has he been elected Chairman?

B) if true, it sounds like he wants something similar to what we've got now, a Chaiman and two nodding lapdogs. Surely people having their own ideas and views is what a democratically run Board is all about.

As far as i'm aware, surely a chairman has to be elected by the complete board...and as there is only him on there he can't possibly be... and i'm guessing this is the delay as he's probably trying to find said people in point B to join him.... I genuinely 'hope' this is just rumour control and he turns out to be a cracking appointment.... however...... time will soon tell