The Queen of the South thread

Aye very good. Any game I have watched that he has played in over the last season, he has contributed to be at fault almost a goal a game. If kicking the ball the way you are facing makes him the player of the year, then you really are fucked!

Thanks for cheering us all up during these difficult times

Really? Burns has shown his ability over a longer period, but the Reid we saw last season looked every bit as capable of playing at a higher level than Harris.

A good first division centre-half but I think he's still prone to the odd mistake that will be punished a lot more in the SPL.

Edited by TeeMan

Err why would I do that?

Your track record of knowing what I would say or think is pretty poor so far.

Somebody has got out of the wrong side of the bed today.

I only remember what you said in the past re. Chisholm, you thought he was doing ok at the time now you think otherwise.

Just admit I'm usually right and you're wrong.

Rumours of Chisholm returning over on Mad world have me greatly concerned, if it is true I will be finding a new Saturday afternoon activity.

I don't believe there will be any truth whatsoever in the suggestion that Chisholm has been asked to return and I also don't think he would anyway.

However, what exactly was so bad about him that would see you not come back over it? He spent too much money without doubt but he can only ultimately spend what he's allowed to spend. He undeniably also gave us the best experiences this club has ever had (not just in living memory but absolutely ever). I don't recall any great complaint about the standard of football at the time and indeed I recall some of it very fondly. Quite apart from the cup run, the back end of the 07/08 season saw us play some tremendous stuff at times.

I truly don't understand the retrospective criticism Chisholm's management gets now.

A good first division centre-half but I think he's still prone to the odd mistake that will be punished a lot more in the SPL.

I tend to agree with you, but Reid has mobility on his side so can recover from any mistakes made. He's a far better player than McAusland, although I realise the latter is not a regular at St. Mirren. Harris may have had a disappointing season and he must learn to improve his distribution and ball retention, but he has the natural talent to play at a higher level. Burns will easily cope with the SPL.

Somebody has got out of the wrong side of the bed today.

I only remember what you said in the past re. Chisholm, you thought he was doing ok at the time now you think otherwise.

Just admit I'm usually right and you're wrong.

I explained my opinion of chisholm earlier. Still not sure what any of that has to do with scally though.

I don't believe there will be any truth whatsoever in the suggestion that Chisholm has been asked to return and I also don't think he would anyway.

However, what exactly was so bad about him that would see you not come back over it? He spent too much money without doubt but he can only ultimately spend what he's allowed to spend. He undeniably also gave us the best experiences this club has ever had (not just in living memory but absolutely ever). I don't recall any great complaint about the standard of football at the time and indeed I recall some of it very fondly. Quite apart from the cup run, the back end of the 07/08 season saw us play some tremendous stuff at times.

I truly don't understand the retrospective criticism Chisholm's management gets now.

I don't think it's criticism as such, more the realisation of how much money he spent to achieve what was no better than any other manager. If that's all he could manage with a big budget the thought of him coming back with no money is pretty scary.

I supported Chisholm throughout a large part of his tenure, but was not disappointed to see him go. I actually thought some of the football was quite turgid at times and don't forget the long run without a victory (was it 12 games?). More importantly, he wasted a large part of his not inconsiderable budget on has beens such as Leon Knight and Marvin Andrews. The cup run and the Copenhagen adventure were truly amazing, but I don't think we should let those experiences blind us to the fact that Chisholm's time at Palmerston was far from a complete success.

I explained my opinion of chisholm earlier. Still not sure what any of that has to do with scally though.

If they appoint Scally or anyone I think isn't up to the job then I will probably stop going to the matches and I won't post on here.

I thought you would be glad if that happened.

If they appoint Scally or anyone I think isn't up to the job then I will probably stop going to the matches and I won't post on here.

As a matter of interest, who do you deem worthy of the Palmerston hotseat?

Nothing retrospective on my part I made it fairly clear throught his previous tenure that I wasn't a fan and nothing has changed. He was inept with bags of money to spend yet Rae thought the sun shone out his backside. If the board feel he is the man for the job when we have no money to spend then it shows you how clueless they actually are. Although my dislike for Chisholm would play a part my reason for not returning would more be down to his appointment being a symbol that the club is run by idiots who will likely end up killing the club.

Aah. That went totally over my head :lol:

We'd all miss you if you went :wub:

Edited by Mr X

As a matter of interest, who do you deem worthy of the Palmerston hotseat?

There are a few looking for a job but can we afford them?

Said this every time we were looking for a manager, see who applies, make up a shortlist and pick the best one.

It's still a gamble and it may not work out but it's the only way IMO.

Gus MacPherson , Jimmy Nichol, Calderwood or Brian Reid are the obvious ones but there must be others out there.

I don't think it's criticism as such, more the realisation of how much money he spent to achieve what was no better than any other manager. If that's all he could manage with a big budget the thought of him coming back with no money is pretty scary.

In league terms I presume you mean? He certainly achieved considerably more than other managers in the cup obviously.

I supported Chisholm throughout a large part of his tenure, but was not disappointed to see him go. I actually thought some of the football was quite turgid at times and don't forget the long run without a victory (was it 12 games?). More importantly, he wasted a large part of his not inconsiderable budget on has beens such as Leon Knight and Marvin Andrews. The cup run and the Copenhagen adventure were truly amazing, but I don't think we should let those experiences blind us to the fact that Chisholm's time at Palmerston was far from a complete success.

Undeniably there were two poor spells under Chisholm, the one early on in his first season when we weren't that far away from the bottom (would have gone bottom if we'd lost at Stirling the week before Peterhead) and then the Godawful run of 12 games where it all went pear-shaped for whatever reason (mainly because we couldn't settle on centre halves and kept chucking goals away).

I don't understand what he thought he saw in Andrews right enough (though he wasn't anywhere near as bad in his month on loan as he was after we signed him properly) but Knight initially did quite well, it was Brannigan who froze him out after taking over. Knight started Chisholm's last game in charge and never appeared in a matchday squad again. Brannigan made it clear he didn't rate him at all.

I'm not for one second saying Chsholm's rein was a complete success but it was largely successful and I don't think the standard of football was any worse than anyone else's since Ally McLeod's "Attack, attack, attack" philosophy. Neither do I think he should come back (or would come back). I just don't really follow the massive negativity about his time in charge that gets suggested now nor why a regular would not come back if he was re-appointed. He is a much better "manager" in terms of what the job description is these days than Brannigan ever will be (and a higher qualified coach, thoguh that may be meaningless I'll grant you).

Said this every time we were looking for a manager, see who applies, make up a shortlist and pick the best one.

Gus MacPherson , Jimmy Nichol, Calderwood or Brian Reid are the obvious ones but there must be others out there.

I can't disagree with any of that, although I'd prefer us to stay clear of Calderwood. However, if indeed Scally is given the role shouldn't we at least offer him our support until such time as it goes tits up? Scally has clearly done a good job with the U19s, but that doesn't mean I'd give him the role. I would, however, continue supporting the club by going to as many games as possible.

I would hope we have to do that this time with no obvious internal candidate. Scally or any of the senior players would be a huge gamble.

In league terms I presume you mean? He certainly achieved considerably more than other managers in the cup obviously.

Yes I meant the league.

I can't disagree with any of that, although I'd prefer us to stay clear of Calderwood. However, if indeed Scally is given the role shouldn't we at least offer him our support until such time as it goes tits up? Scally has clearly done a good job with the U19s, but that doesn't mean I'd give him the role. I would, however, continue supporting the club by going to as many games as possible.

I've nothing against Scally but it would be a lack of imagination if Rae appointed him, that's what would bug me.

He just seems to go for the easy option every time and it bites him on the arse, bet he wished he hadn't picked KB now.

I'm not for one second saying Chsholm's rein was a complete success but it was largely successful and I don't think the standard of football was any worse than anyone else's since Ally McLeod's "Attack, attack, attack" philosophy. Neither do I think he should come back (or would come back). I just don't really follow the massive negativity about his time in charge that gets suggested now nor why a regular would not come back if he was re-appointed. He is a much better "manager" in terms of what the job description is these days than Brannigan ever will be (and a higher qualified coach, thoguh that may be meaningless I'll grant you).

If you bare arguing that Chisholm 'behaved' like a manager, unlike Brannigan, then it's dificult to argue against that. However, in terms of league performance and taking account of his budget then he was nothing special. There are far worse managers out there, but I'd like to see us go for someone with experience of working with a shoestring budget with a degree of success. Brian Reid or Jimmy Nichol would be preferable, although we'll no doubt apppoint someone else. I just hope that we go through a proper interview process and soon!

I've nothing against Scally but it would be a lack of imagination if Rae appointed him, that's what would bug me.

He just seems to go for the easy option every time and it bites him on the arse, bet he wished he hadn't picked KB now.

I get the impression that Davie Rae is scared stiff of KB and is just relieved to be rid of him. :lol: