The Queen of the South thread

What did Chisholm spend millions on?

IMO Dundee stayed up largely because of Chisholm's excellent signings e.g. Weston and Lockwood. I thought he'd done similar at Queens but on a tight budget.

You thought wrong - one of the reasons we are financially screwed is that he had a far from tight budget!

You thought wrong - one of the reasons we are financially screwed is that he had a far from tight budget!

David Rae is as much to blame as Chisholm for giving the okay to sign all these players on 2 year contract on to much money

Derek Holmes was on £850 a week to agree to pay that for 2 years was just mad.We should not have had a player on more that £500 a week yet most of the squad were on £600-£700 know wonder we have money problems.

David Rae is as much to blame as Chisholm for giving the okay to sign all these players on 2 year contract on to much money

Derek Holmes was on £850 a week to agree to pay that for 2 years was just mad.We should not have had a player on more that £500 a week yet most of the squad were on £600-£700 know wonder we have money problems.

I don't think you'll find anyone that disagrees with that. He did say Chisholm was one of the reasons though not that he was entirely to blame. I don't think anyone will ever understand the baffling decision to back Chisholm to the hilt for a promotion push that was never going to happen, and wouldn't be possible even if it did. Not with out incurring even further debt through groundsharing etc.

For, probably the first time, I think youre absolutely right. Any appointment seen as "cheap", like Scally or JT, or anyone unknown is going to get a pretty "Meh" reaction from the fans. We really need to bring in someone with a name to attract a bit of interest, not only locally but in the national media. To be fair, that was about the only thing McCall managed to do for us

Well I have been trying hard of late. :o Any chance of getting that warning bar removed now, it's been there for months now? ;)

I thought he'd done similar at Queens but on a tight budget.

I honestly think that a similar view probably prevailed in the Dens boardroom.

Taking diddy wee Queens to the Cup Final and respectable 1st division placings maybe looked impressive on the face of it, but the truth is that wee diddy Queens had been spending like a rather less diddy outfit.

I don't rate Chisholm at all as a manager - I never did and recent events certainly haven't forced a re-think. He can't be blamed for overspending at all really though. Maybe the budget could have been more wisely used, but the fact is that any manager will - indeed should - spend what they're allowed.

I wouldn't want Chisholm back for a moment, but I really don't see that he can be held in any way responsible for our financial mess.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

For, probably the first time, I think youre absolutely right. Any appointment seen as "cheap", like Scally or JT, or anyone unknown is going to get a pretty "Meh" reaction from the fans. We really need to bring in someone with a name to attract a bit of interest, not only locally but in the national media. To be fair, that was about the only thing McCall managed to do for us

It's difficult though, isn't it?

Like you, I think we need to pick someone established. Appointing from within will look lazy and cheap. You would hope that having been badly burned by doing this last time, Rae will avoid it.

I know 'cheap' is something of a necessity now, but as you say, perception is important.

Appointing managers is very much an inexact science though. Even relatively 'big' names carry no guarantees and any appointment at all will be something of a gamble.

Given that we're likely to have some less capable players than we've been used to, an effective, bright manager is a must. I hope the board choose well, but I don't envy them the task.

In an ideal world, I'd love us to secure someone like Jimmy Nicholl, but I doubt if that's likely. I'd also be pleased to see Gus McPherson in charge. Again though, I've absolutely no idea who would realistically be in the frame, so I don't suppose any such speculation has much purpose.

It's difficult though, isn't it?

Like you, I think we need to pick someone established. Appointing from within will look lazy and cheap. You would hope that having been badly burned by doing this last time, Rae will avoid it.

I know 'cheap' is something of a necessity now, but as you say, perception is important.

Appointing managers is very much an inexact science though. Even relatively 'big' names carry no guarantees and any appointment at all will be something of a gamble.

Given that we're likely to have some less capable players than we've been used to, an effective, bright manager is a must. I hope the board choose well, but I don't envy them the task.

In an ideal world, I'd love us to secure someone like Jimmy Nicholl, but I doubt if that's likely. I'd also be pleased to see Gus McPherson in charge. Again though, I've absolutely no idea who would realistically be in the frame, so I don't suppose any such speculation has much purpose.

The more I think about it the more I think that maybe a player/manager would be a good choice right now. Obviously, theres the advantage of getting a player and a manager for one wage and that might allow us to bring in a player of a better standard that we would otherwise be able to afford. Then theres the advantage of an experienced head to help the kids, good contacts as an existing player and, hopefully, a desire to do well and prove themselves as a manager.

Shame Paul Hartley has gone to Alloa really!

The more I think about it the more I think that maybe a player/manager would be a good choice right now. Obviously, theres the advantage of getting a player and a manager for one wage and that might allow us to bring in a player of a better standard that we would otherwise be able to afford. Then theres the advantage of an experienced head to help the kids, good contacts as an existing player and, hopefully, a desire to do well and prove themselves as a manager.

Shame Paul Hartley has gone to Alloa really!

I see your logic, but can't think of any real candidates at all.

As a club, we also have a pretty poor record, any time we've gone down this route.

As we all say, this appointment feels particularly significant. A player/manager is, by definition, inexperienced in the latter capacity. I'd rather we didn't run that particular risk.

As a club, we also have a pretty poor record, any time we've gone down this route.

As we all say, this appointment feels particularly significant. A player/manager is, by definition, inexperienced in the latter capacity. I'd rather we didn't run that particular risk.

[/quote

Too risky t this level, player managers should start in the Leagues below us. It's a hard one, but it has to be thought out properly.

I agree it would be a risk but, as you said yourself, even a "big" name carries a risk. If their was a suitable candidate I think Id be tempted to take the risk.

Probably all academic anyway. As you say there, its hard to think of any suitable candidates.

Job applications for the managers position has reached 10+ :)

I wouldn't read too much into that. When I was younger I applied for the managerial position at Palmerston after Davie Wilson left. I wrote the BoD an in depth letter about what players I'd select, formation I'd play etc. Never heard anything back from them!

I wouldn't read too much into that. When I was younger I applied for the managerial position at Palmerston after Davie Wilson left. I wrote the BoD an in depth letter about what players I'd select, formation I'd play etc. Never heard anything back from them!

Yeah, well, Brannigan was always going to get that job ;)

Not really sure who I wan't out of the "contenders" mentioned, probably Gus. St. Mirren seem to work to a strict budget which could only bode well for us.

If you think Brannigan moaned about haviae money, just wait until Gus rolls up.

Depends how desperate he is to get back to work. He's been interviewed for jobs down south recently so will probably be after more than Queens can afford.

I see your logic, but can't think of any real candidates at all.As a club, we also have a pretty poor record, any time we've gone down this route.As we all say, this appointment feels particularly significant. A player/manager is, by definition, inexperienced in the latter capacity. I'd rather we didn't run that particular risk.

Davie Weir anyone? Probably got more cash than our BOD as well :ph34r:

Edit for Sp I blame the schools.

Edited by Dfs-Blu

:lol:

Would think a player like Weir who has done it in Scotland and England could get a fairly decent gig down south, but their Largs mafia of Danny Wilson, Mickey Adams et al all still end up at decent clubs.

I would not be adverse to a player/manager if he was only a player for say a year, and has had a good experienced number 2.

*snigger*

If Bob Harris is the next to go will we get a fee for him.??? .He is 23 as long as we do not offer him less money then i think we are due a fee for him when he leaves.

As far as I know, no-one has been offered a new contract on the same money as they are currently on. So, no we wont get anything for Harris