The Queen of the South thread

Signing a full-back just for one game is wastefulness beyond what even Davie Rae and Gordon Chisholm would be capable of!

I would tend to agree. Black and Mitchell are the likely starters, but Young could also play there at a push. Worth remembering, also, that Burns is cup tied for the final so we have one less option in midfield too. Or rather we did before signing Paton

Still over a month to go a lot could happen, in regards to injuries. Is there a loan or free agent deadline?

Strange how Paton hasn't found a club, has he been injured or just not snapped up.

Edited by Sloop John B

I find the signing of Paton a real strange one. The league’s won so have we given this guy a 10 week contract on £££££ a week just to give us cover for the one game, the Cup final?

Willie played in the game against Newco Res so he must be close to being fit again and as previously mentioned we would seem to have up top well covered through to the end of the season.

I would have thought if we were to sign anyone it would be a left footed fullback to give us balance.

Maybe it’s that we’ve had a lot of early entrants to the shirt draw and have spare money or is Sandy just helping out a friend from the past.

Don't really get the clamour for a fullback, we have two people suspended for one game. No need to waste money.

I see him as an upgrade to Kevin Smith and possibly looking to next year, maybe one of the strikers has signed a pre contract with somebody else? He adds something different to the team and it's a chance for him to try and get back into prominence.

I see him as an upgrade to Kevin Smith and possibly looking to next year, maybe one of the strikers has signed a pre contract with somebody else? He adds something different to the team and it's a chance for him to try and get back into prominence.

I know what you’re saying but looking at his record he’s not actually been a very prolific goal scorer so far.

Before anyone else says it, I know neither was Nicky till this year.

Happen to think that who plays left full back in the Cup final is a very importan subject . If we were bringing in anyone , well , that area is a pressing issue . Lets hear it then. With all thats available , who would you put in there ?

McGufffie for me. He hit the winning penalty to get us to the final and has been very patient and professional all season IMO. More than deserves a start in the final.

LB Guff

CB Durnan

CB Higgins

RB Mitchell

That would be the back-line I'd be most confident with. Higgins at LB would be an absolute no go for me. He isn't half the player at LB than he is at CB.

Guest Flash

McGufffie for me. He hit the winning penalty to get us to the final and has been very patient and professional all season IMO. More than deserves a start in the final.

LB Guff

CB Durnan

CB Higgins

RB Mitchell

That would be the back-line I'd be most confident with. Higgins at LB would be an absolute no go for me. He isn't half the player at LB than he is at CB.

Is Guff not suspended? And it wasn't a penalty that got us to the final. Edited by Flash

Is Guff not suspended? And it wasn't a penalty that got us to the final.

Meant winning Pen in Quarter and winner vs Arbroath. Apologies. I thought it was just Holt and Burns out for the Final? Although no doubt I have not been paying attention again and guff is out, hence the panic Re. LB! Shame for him to miss out on the final after his contribution so far in the tournament :(

Guest Flash

Meant winning Pen in Quarter and winner vs Arbroath. Apologies. I thought it was just Holt and Burns out for the Final? Although no doubt I have not been paying attention again and guff is out, hence the panic Re. LB! Shame for him to miss out on the final after his contribution so far in the tournament :(

I think he got booked in the semi and was also booked at Ibrox.

Imo you should only miss a final if you are sent off in the semi. The suspension should take effect in the first round in the following season if you're booked.

Totally agree it is a shame for him to miss out after scoring two winners, both in dramatic fashion.

Edited by Flash

I think you would go for Young, Black or Mitchell at fullback

I know what you’re saying but looking at his record he’s not actually been a very prolific goal scorer so far.

Before anyone else says it, I know neither was Nicky till this year.

Kevin Smith hasn't overly impressed me the past few weeks when he's came on. Paton will have a bit more about him physically and should have a bit of SPL quality, He scored in 1 in 4 when he was at Brechin when he only 18. I hope he can come in and contribute right away.

I think you would go for Young, Black or Mitchell at fullback

Kevin Smith hasn't overly impressed me the past few weeks when he's came on. Paton will have a bit more about him physically and should have a bit of SPL quality, He scored in 1 in 4 when he was at Brechin when he only 18. I hope he can come in and contribute right away.

Ok who does he come in for, Lyle has been excellent recently and Gav didn't actually do much wrong last time he started. Do you think they're going to give Nicky a break?

Edited by Hawk

Ok who does he come in for, Lyle has been excellent recently and Gav didn't actually do much wrong last time he started. Due you think they're going to give Nicky a break?

Nope he's scoring keep the momentum going for Nicky up to the final, I wouldn't parachute him in when the current players are playing well. They could play him out on the wing in a 4-4-2 or as wide striker in a 4-3-3

Guest Flash

Ok who does he come in for, Lyle has been excellent recently and Gav didn't actually do much wrong last time he started. Do you think they're going to give Nicky a break?

Lyle looked like he had twisted an ankle when he limped off on Saturday. I could be wrong, but it is possible he could be out for the rest of the season. Although you'd imagine we'd have heard if it was anything serious. But I don't think anything was said at the time, or since, about Gibson's injury.