The Queen of the South thread

Think it's about time the club advertised the cup final and tickets or we are going to be well out numbered at Livingston.

I think you will regardless, this is Thistles first cup final in a very long time, whereas Queens have surely reached the Challenge Cup final more than any other team?

Even accounting for the fact that Queens have been tremendous this year so have Thistle.

Brechin have now taken 32 points from their last 13 games. We've taken 34 from our last 13.

To put that in perspective, after the first 13 games, we were 9 points ahead of second placed Alloa.

After losing 6 of their first 8 games, Brechin's form is on a par with ours.

I think you will regardless, this is Thistles first cup final in a very long time, whereas Queens have surely reached the Challenge Cup final more than any other team?

Even accounting for the fact that Queens have been tremendous this year so have Thistle.

Nope, Ross County, Falkirk and Hamilton have reached the final 4 times before us.

Edited by Sloop John B

This is Thistle's first national final for more than 40 years, whereas it is our third in the last 5 years, including a Scottish Cup final.

It'll be our fourth final in this competition, whereas Thistle have never been in it, obviously.

We had 5,500 at our first Challenge Cup final, then about 4,000 at the next one, then about 3,000, although that was in Perth and when we were playing pretty shit.

Brechin have now taken 32 points from their last 13 games. We've taken 34 from our last 13.

To put that in perspective, after the first 13 games, we were 9 points ahead of second placed Alloa.

After losing 6 of their first 8 games, Brechin's form is on a par with ours.

All hail the sterling work done by Jim Weir.

This is Thistle's first national final for more than 40 years, whereas it is our third in the last 5 years, including a Scottish Cup final.

It'll be our fourth final in this competition, whereas Thistle have never been in it, obviously.

We had 5,500 at our first Challenge Cup final, then about 4,000 at the next one, then about 3,000, although that was in Perth and when we were playing pretty shit.

We were indeed playing pretty shit at the time when we contested our last Cup final, a habit we were determined not to break on the big day itself. Remember though that the tickets were sold months before, at a time when we were actually going quite well.

We were indeed playing pretty shit at the time when we contested our last Cup final, a habit we were determined not to break on the big day itself. Remember though that the tickets were sold months before, at a time when we were actually going quite well.

We had actually sold only about 2,500 for the Alba Cup Final against Ross County at Perth before the scheduled November date. We sold an additional 600 or so in the Spring once the final date was rearranged.

We had actually sold only about 2,500 for the Alba Cup Final against Ross County at Perth before the scheduled November date. We sold an additional 600 or so in the Spring once the final date was rearranged.

Fair enough - I hadn't realised that. Holidays meant I was destined to miss that final, both on its original date and its rescheduled one, so I didn't pay that much attention. Mind you, by all accounts, I got lucky.

Why the later surge in sales then? Do you think it was just a more attractive time of year for people to travel and watch a game?

Fair enough - I hadn't realised that. Holidays meant I was destined to miss that final, both on its original date and its rescheduled one, so I didn't pay that much attention. Mind you, by all accounts, I got lucky.

Why the later surge in sales then? Do you think it was just a more attractive time of year for people to travel and watch a game?

Not sure. It wasn't like we had a big one day surge when the new date was announced. They pretty much dribbled out over the course of the many weeks build up we still had. I guess an element of it was just if you give people long enough to think about it they might decide to go.

There were probably some people who couldn't go on the original date for whatever reason who then were able to make the new one. Almost nobody returned tickets from the first date as being unable to go to the new one but maybe they just didn't bother. Possibly some people lost tickets in the 4 or 5 month delayed gap and had to buy more? Possibly people with young families decided an April date was more suitable than the original November one. I can't imagine for a second anybody decided to go to the new date on the back of our relative form and chance of winning! We were odds on favourites had the game gone ahead on the original date but very much underdogs struggling to even field a full sixteen by the time the rearrangement came along.

Hope we have 16 players ok for this seasons final!

A fair point! We don't have a lot of room for movement on that front. A couple of injuries before the final and we'd be really struggling. We have in theory a 21 man first team squad. However, Burns is cup tied, McGuffie and Holt are suspended and McShane is out for the season I think so that only leaves 17 players. And that includes Pat Slattery who has never actually been on the field for the first team, Dan Orsi who is currently out on loan to Annan and Allan Johnston himself. Resources are going to be stretched fairly thin for this.

Hope we have 16 players ok for this seasons final!

A fair point! We don't have a lot of room for movement on that front. A couple of injuries before the final and we'd be really struggling. We have in theory a 21 man first team squad. However, Burns is cup tied, McGuffie and Holt are suspended and McShane is out for the season I think so that only leaves 17 players. And that includes Pat Slattery who has never actually been on the field for the first team, Dan Orsi who is currently out on loan to Annan and Allan Johnston himself. Resources are going to be stretched fairly thin for this.

what's the latest on gibson? Will he be back in time?

Not sure. It wasn't like we had a big one day surge when the new date was announced. They pretty much dribbled out over the course of the many weeks build up we still had. I guess an element of it was just if you give people long enough to think about it they might decide to go.

There were probably some people who couldn't go on the original date for whatever reason who then were able to make the new one. Almost nobody returned tickets from the first date as being unable to go to the new one but maybe they just didn't bother. Possibly some people lost tickets in the 4 or 5 month delayed gap and had to buy more? Possibly people with young families decided an April date was more suitable than the original November one. I can't imagine for a second anybody decided to go to the new date on the back of our relative form and chance of winning! We were odds on favourites had the game gone ahead on the original date but very much underdogs struggling to even field a full sixteen by the time the rearrangement came along.

Yes, all possible factors I suppose.

As you say, the balance of the tie had moved miles against us by the time it got played and I'm therefore amazed we shifted close to 25% more tickets in time for the re-scheduled match.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

what's the latest on gibson? Will he be back in time?

I am sure Willie Gibson will be back in time for this match, mom performance for Falkirk in last seasons Finàl, also Orsi will be back am sure fitter than ever having been given game time at Annan.