The Queen of the South thread

Congratulations on going artificial, really hoping Ayr will follow suit sometime soon. The numbers add up every way you look at it even down to having more Saturday matches going ahead.

Does anyone know how much funding Queens received for the installation?

Congratulations on going artificial, really hoping Ayr will follow suit sometime soon. The numbers add up every way you look at it even down to having more Saturday matches going ahead.

Queens generally don't get Saturday games called off

Don't quote me on this but I'm sure it was £450k out of the 510k required

With the Brechin - Ayr match being switched to station park, do you think our match might also get switched? If it does we could have the real possibility to win our third league title at Forfar, where we won our last two titles!

Edited by qos4eva

Guest Flash

If you only have to come up with £60k to build one of these pitches and you keep all the income from it, why has there not been a rush of commercial organisations trying to get them installed? Or, put it another way, if the council is putting in £225k, why would it allow the private partner in the enterprise to keep all of the profits? Why would the council not just install one of its own elsewhere, funding it with £285k with Sport Scotland funding the remainder?

Really don't understand why the club should keep all the income generated from the pitch when it only funded about 11% of the cost. Unless it means the club has to replace it. Even then, the numbers should still have to add up for the council. Either way, the headline number of £s per hour can't be the whole story.

Only reservation I have is, does the pitch wear out and if so mega funding required to replace it. Grass pitch well looked after should last for ever.

Guest Flash

Annan have to come up with the money to replace the park, they say they are saving 10k a year to fund this. Not just about money either, as it's a better surface than our current one.

I doubt very much whether the relative quality of the artificial surface played much part in the decision.

Do we know for a fact that Queens get to keep all the profit made from use of the pitch? Is that what happens at Annan, Marchmount, and Stranraer? I know Annan have to factor the cost of floodlights into their hourly rate and will need to pay when the time comes to relaying it, which is 10 years I believe.

I'd imagine it is in the Council's remit to use part of the budget to provide "Community projects" particularly ones that promote health and fitness. The pitch will be used by the wider community, and in particular youth teams so providing such a facility does make the Council look good. It's a positive bargain compared to DGOne anyway!

Considering the U-turn about who got the use of the Marchmount pitch, and the fact that our considerably smaller footballing neighbours got Council assistance in their 3G parks, I think it is once again an excellent piece of work from our board to ensure that we didn't get left behind.

Some of the behind the scenes work done this season almost tops what has been happening on the pitch. I really am delighted with things right now. :)

Edited by palmy_cammy

I would imagine QOTS will be paying the council a lease of circa £25k a year (including the £10k replacement fund) but will keep all of the profit made made from pitch rental. It may also be technically a council owned pitch so schools and such like would get use for the pitch for zip.

Like others I'm a little split on the decision to turn Palmerston artificial. I'm a traditionalist and I like to see football played on grass. I don't think there's any denying the game is slightly different on artificial surfaces, though the present top of the range surfaces are a million miles away from those even in use 10 years ago. And we haven't really had any tradition of having big problems getting Palmerston playable. It hasn't lost many games over the years apart from the two incredibly bad winters in a row when almost nobody was playable.

However, the economic argument for change isn't hard to make and there are other benefits such as the various youth teams all being able to use it and possibility of using it as training facilities in Dumfries also. The window of opportunity for getting funding for such a project is probably short and it was probably a case of now or never. I have some personal regret but I feel it will probably be for the better for the club ultimately.

Yes, well said. I was appalled when I saw us lose to Hamilton years ago when we lost two goals as a direct result of their awful plastic surface. Tbf they were awful on it too, overhitting passes and misjudging the bounce. Things have moved on now though. Thought the ice station Alloa game showed that.

Yes, well said. I was appalled when I saw us lose to Hamilton years ago when we lost two goals as a direct result of their awful plastic surface. Tbf they were awful on it too, overhitting passes and misjudging the bounce. Things have moved on now though. Thought the ice station Alloa game showed that.

was at NDP on Saterday; snow,sleet and fitba; ON GRASS !!!!

Guest TOPFITTER
PARS HARDSHIP FUND,,,,AUCTION IN SUPPORT OF,,

Below is my facebook post, as Queens fans know how to answer a rally call and have known adversity I am hoping we can in some way help support another Club and their Players/Employees in their time of need. This may just be a small gesture but it shows other fans that here at QUEENS we care, hope you can help:D

Andrew P. Cochrane

As promised the 2012/2013 Queen of the South FC shirt signed by the current

1ST Team Squad today. This shirt is up for auction, money raised for the Pars Hardship Fund, to help support Dunfermline Athletic FC, Players and Staff who are facing financial difficulty due to the current plight of the club.

It may be a small effort but I expect Queens or any football fans to show their generosity for a struggling football club and their employees by bidding for this shirt.

Remember should Queens season finish in an historic League and Ramsdens Cup double then it will be a fine memento of a momentous year.

Please make a bid, if you cannot please forward the message.

Bids by email to topfitter01@gmail.com

Bids bt text to 07762628405,

please leave contact details.

kz0r7.jpg

The Auction will close at 5pm Friday 22nd March 2013.

Still time to get

your bid in;D

BUMP, good cause folks :thumsup2